Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 16 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Modern Consoles.. xbox 360
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:51 pm 
Hi, sorry its not about retro consoles but the modern ones have some great downloadable games. I own a Xbox 360 and recently downloaded Sensible World of Soccer :lots of love:- It is my all time favourite- Its identical to the Amiga version and is still really tough to win at tho'.

Does any body else own this console and have you downloaded any good retro games? Has any body played Speedball 2 (Is it still as good)?

The system also has some other good 'boardgames' too like Carcasonne (which I have) and Settlers of Cataan (which I don't).

Anybody who fancies a game online please get in touch and let me know what games you have. And If I dont have it and it dont cost an 'arm and a leg' I pick it up so we can have a go!

Retro Games- i I have: Gauntlet & S.W.O.S
Board & Card Games: Uno, Carcasonne & Backgammon
Modern Games: Halo 3 & Forza 2
Others: Bankshot Billiards.

Thanks for your time and see you online. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:25 pm 
DEATH TO XBOX

PS3 FTW!!!!

besides they dont blow up when you play them for to long

LOLbuiscuits Red Light Of Doom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:50 pm 
Khon- Is that the best response you could come up with? I posted because I wanted to see if anyone had a xbox 360 and to discuss the retro games and board games available for this console, not to recieve a response from an idiot who likes the sound of his own voice, by all means pump up your post score but if you have nothing intelligent to say - then maybe you should shut up.

It is well known the red rings of death exist and sony fanboys use it as there best argument, but that was not what my thread was aiming at. You could just as easy said you owned a PS3 and listed the games you played online so people can link up online!

Feel free to come back with another 'witty' comment if only to up your post score and prove to everybody on here above all else your an idiot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:21 pm 
Let's get this over and done with, shall we?

XBox 360s have a high failure rate.
Early PS3s overheated regularly and rumour suggests a few burst into flames (though mine is a 1st generation Japanese import, and it's been ok)
Wii has graphical capabilities more suited to the previous generation of consoles.

Now that their flaws have been pointed out in a non-fanboyish manner, I'm actually considering acquiring a 360 for the retro content available, as well as a FEW of the A-list titles*. However, with such a high attrition rate on the actual console, I'm loath to part with my cash at the moment. Could you offer a few examples of what's available? (preferably examples that don't require a continuous subscription to play once purchased)

*Endless FIFA remakes, all-but-identical FPSs and the like just don't interest me - it's like innovation is a dirty word. God knows that in the year and a half that I've had my PS3 I've found the game selection to be lacking (I have bought 3 games for it in the UK, and consider the market exhausted - most of what I've bought was imported and just isn't available here.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:59 pm 
Hi Daremonai, I have been looking at the PS3 as an option, but consoles are so expensive I couldn't justify owning both. I think I would have to part ex my Xbox and at this moment in time am unsure as too wether I should simply wait and see what happens on the gaming front. When 'Home' comes out I think I will make my choice. At present most games come out cross platform and the exclusives to each platform at present aren't really 'killer apps'. I am suprised tho' with Microsoft being so big a company they cant even throw in a web browser and free online access, both the other consoles feature that! In my case for a retro fix I dont think I really have any option on that and will have to keep this console, but time will tell. The microsoft points are odd tho' - you get 2100 for £17.50 which isnt quite enough to get you three big games! But there are some real classics in there. As regards to th high failure rate since the remarketing and lower price the new X-boxes use a different motherboard and are supposedly less likely to break!

Some of the games available to download on Xbox Marketplace that are retro or board game orientated and not made specifically are:

Retro Games:

Battlezone 400 Points (But you really need to be online to get the best out of it)
Bomberman Live 800 Pts (As above)
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night 800 Pts
Centipede/Millipede 400 Pts
Contra 400 Pts
Defender 400 Pts
Dig Dug 400 Pts
Discs of Tron 400 Pts
Doom 400 Points
Double Dragon 400 Pts
Fatal Fury Special 400 Pts
Frogger 400 Pts
Galaga 400 Pts
Gauntlet 400 Pts
Golden Axe 400 Pts
Ikaruga 800 Pts
Jetpac Refuelled 400 Pts
Joust 400 Pts
Metal Slug 3 800 Pts
Missile Command 400 Pts
Ms Pac-Man 400 Pts
Mutant Storm (2 Versions) 800 Pts
New Rally-X 400 Pts
Pac-Man 400 Pts
Pac-Man Championship Edition 800 Pts
Paperboy 400 Pts
Prince of Persia Classic 800 Pts
Robotron: 2084 400 Pts
Root Beer Tapper 400 Pts
Scramble 400 Pts
Sensible World of Soccer 800 Pts
Smash TV 400 Pts
Sonic the Hedgehog 1 & 2 400 Pts each
Speedball 2: Brutal Deluxe 800 Pts
Street Fighter II Hyper Fighting 800 Pts
Streets of Rage 2 400 Pts
Super Contra 400 Pts
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1989 Classic Arcade 400 Pts
Time Pilot 400 Pts
Track & Field 400 Pts
Tron 400 Pts
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 800 Pts
Worms 800 Pts
Yie Ar Kung-Fu 400 Pts

Board games & Card games:

Carcassone 800 points plus for 150 extra points you can download the river II and Count and the Baron
Catan 800 Pts (Based on Settlers of Catan - online only I think)
Chessmaster Live 800 Pts
Hardwood Backgammon 400 Pts
Hardwood Hearts 400 Pts
Hardwood Spades 400 Pts
Spyglass Board Games 400 Pts
Texas Hold ‘Em 800 Pts
UNO 800 Pts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:20 am 
Daremonai wrote:
...Endless FIFA remakes, all-but-identical FPSs and the like just don't interest me - it's like innovation is a dirty word. God knows that in the year and a half that I've had my PS3 I've found the game selection to be lacking (I have bought 3 games for it in the UK, and consider the market exhausted ...)

I couldn't agree more!
I have an original XBox, and have only ever found about 4 games I want to play on it. The gaming market in general is now so saturated with lowest-common-denominator rubbish it becomes difficult to find anything that interests me. What happened to the 'geeky' aspect of gaming? The element of fantasy and unusual ideas?
If I wanted to play golf or football, I'd go out and do it for real. If I wanted to see WW2 soldiers getting their heads blown off, I'd watch Saving Private Ryan! In fact I find all the hyper realistic WW2 FPS games uncomfortably grim, I have to say.

My point, to get this post back on topic, is that I can completely understand why people go back to retro games when you look at how little interesting stuff there is in the gaming market for people who don't really like sports or guns these days.
It's good, in a way, that Micro$oft and $ony have cottoned on to this and provided a means for people to play older games on their systems, but I do find myself asking why amazing advances in gaming technology are being used almost exclusively for sports and FPS in the first place - why not make something new to appeal to the retro gaming fans?

Ahem... rant over. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:29 am 
Vespasian wrote:
Khon- Is that the best response you could come up with? I posted because I wanted to see if anyone had a xbox 360 and to discuss the retro games and board games available for this console, not to recieve a response from an idiot who likes the sound of his own voice, by all means pump up your post score but if you have nothing intelligent to say - then maybe you should shut up.

It is well known the red rings of death exist and sony fanboys use it as there best argument, but that was not what my thread was aiming at. You could just as easy said you owned a PS3 and listed the games you played online so people can link up online!

Feel free to come back with another 'witty' comment if only to up your post score and prove to everybody on here above all else your an idiot.

PMSL

Jesus Christ Chill out mate
I was joking

Does no one have a sence of humor anymore?

Just a gag about the red rings that have been going on recently. perticualaly in school , where every one i know has blew up there xbox atleast once

So if this is an "idiots responce"
Then go ahead and say

but why would i be upping my post count,
with no rank system, wharts the point?

I was messing about ,
I thought people had a sense of humor on here

So maybe I am an idiot,
but i presumed most people saw consoles as objects
Rather than letting their tempers flair as if it was family to them

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:48 am 
Motor Mouth

Khon wrote:
Vespasian wrote:

PMSL

Jesus Christ Chill out mate
I was joking

Does no one have a sence of humor anymore?

Just a gag about the red rings that have been going on recently. perticualaly in school , where every one i know has blew up there xbox atleast once

So if this is an "idiots responce"
Then go ahead and say

but why would i be upping my post count,
with no rank system, wharts the point?

I was messing about ,
I thought people had a sense of humor on here

So maybe I am an idiot,
but i presumed most people saw consoles as objects
Rather than letting their tempers flair as if it was family to them

The problem here is that your gag regarding the XBox brought absolutley nothing to the discussion. Had you actually started out on-topic and made a useful contribution to the conversation and followed it up with a gag then Vespasian might not have been so narked.

As it was you brought your cronyistic fanboyism into the forum and with no regard to the content of the discussion spewed your vitriolic, ill thought out bile everywhere before sodding off again.

Please try to keep future posts (as many as you want) on topic and relevant.

As for the topic in question, I can't really contribute since I don't have wither the 360 or the PS3 and I've barely used my Wii in quite some time due to not having much in the way of spare time for a while now. I do enjoy a nice bit of retro gaming now and then though but I don't see the need to spend £three-figures on a top-of-the-range console to bring back the good old days, I'd much rather grab a second-hand console and play the original game, although this does remove the possibility of the online multi-player aspect of some games.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:40 am 
Pete

the "chronic fanboyism"
Is a joke
like a comic persona
Or at 15 am i not allowed to understand a comic persona??

The Post wasnt supposed to have any relevence atall, thats the whole point, its baiting

But being as wise as you are
i thought you would realise im trolling and go
"lots of love stfu khon"

Everyone takes stuff way to seriosly,
It was in no way a personal remark , real fanboy remark, or even my opinion, I have played an xbox and personaly i think there awesome.

if the post has No relevence other than the topic,
I kindve figured you'd realise i was joking..
Yet you went for the bait.

Im sorry okay,
I just thought you would understand the humor in it
obviously not...

Sorry for trying to make people smile

Crime against humanity i suppose

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:48 am 
Motor Mouth

Medals: 1
Dungeonbowl Champion (1)
Personally I find Retro gaming a difficult concept, the reason I liked a particular now-retro game was because at the time it was released it was innovative and was doing something new.

The example I will use is X-Com.

At the time it mixed RTS in the area of base management, Research and Development and defending against the alien threat. It then offered Squad based turn combat when you were on the actual missions.

At the time this was a new and innovative idea and to a degree it still is, very few games mix genres like this. The problem I have is that when I return to it after playing modern RTS games I find that the RTS side of the game is very basic and I expect much more from it. The same goes for the squad based side of the game, it has been done so much nicer in modern games.

They have tried to capture that essence again with the more recent X-Com released however the hook just isnt there anymore.

I demand so much more from games that I play now, so much that retro games dont deliver. Dont get me wrong sometimes taking a game down to its basic elements can still be fun but you dont have to go retro to find it all the time (Track and Field = Sonic and Mario Olympics) personally I would rather play the newer more polished version most of the time.

I agree that once a gaming company sees a winning format they generally want a piece of the pie which ends up with alot of similar games being released at the same time. This does mean that a lot of market saturation is generated. But go back and look at what was released when your particular "retro" game was released see what was released around it and again you will find that same market saturation.

You have to pick the gems from whichever time you release, sometimes going back and playinga game that you remember as "THE MOST AMAZING GAME" just shows you how poor a game it was and destroys a good memory you had.

In short (or not) that is why I dont go back and play the Dizzy games. Dizzy is a simple fetch and carry game which at the time I found amazing. I now play Dead Rising, a simple fetch and carry game (at its most basic element) which delivers a good story, great graphics, is completly open ended and is Dizzy for the modern generation (also it isnt availble on PS3 :P)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:57 am 
Motor Mouth

Khon wrote:
Pete

the "chronic fanboyism"
Is a joke
like a comic persona

The Post wasnt supposed to have any relevence atall, thats the whole point, its baiting

"lots of love stfu khon"

It was in no way a personal remark , real fanboy remark, or even my opinion, I have played an xbox and personaly i think there awesome.

Im sorry okay,
obviously not...

Whether it was funny or not doesn't really matter, the fact is that this forum is not "the interwebz". People posting here don't expect the same kind of humourless humour and flamebaiting that you find on public forums.

The members here are carefully controlled so that trolls don't get in and we should all expect everybody else on the forum to be sympathetic to everybody's hobbies.

If you want to bait people into responding to your own personal take on comedy then I suggest you save it for public forums; while you are here it would be nice if you treated the forum as if you were speaking face to face with the other posters. I don't know if you've ever met Vespasian but I'm pretty sure if you were standing in front of him you wouldn't have said what you said in the manner that it came across in your post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:49 am 
Okay, I have a few things to say here as well, and then perhaps we can let Vespasian's thread get back to what it was originally intended for...

The issue of whether or not we realised you were joking is irrelevant, Khon. It's more about whether or not it was appropriate to post it in the first place.

Khon wrote:
Pete

the "chronic fanboyism"
Is a joke
like a comic persona

Of course we're not saying you can't have comic persona. And your age is not the issue here.

Khon wrote:

"lots of love stfu khon"

Yes, we did realise you were trolling, but trolling is just not in the spirit of this board, and neither is responding to you with 'lots of love stfu Khon'.

Khon wrote:

So why not say that instead?
Khon, we don't take stuff too seriously - we just want to help create a board that people can talk on without getting annoyed with each other. Your comment annoyed Vespasian, and so the sensible discussion he was looking for was broken. As Pete said, while this might be perfectly ok on a public message board, the spirit of the Games Vault is not really about that.

Khon wrote:

Perhaps in future just stop and ask yourself: If the comment has no relevance to the rest of the thread, would it be better to not say it at all?

Khon wrote:
Im sorry okay,
obviously not...

Thank you for your apology, and thank you for trying to make us smile. This isn't about trying to make humour on the board a 'crime against humanity' - we like humour, of course we do. Just try to keep the humour on topic, and make it contribute productively and coherently to the discussion, that's all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:14 pm 
I would like to appologise,
no sarcasm or anything, im sorry,
The whole point of going completely off topic was to make it more funny,

and i didnt realise that i didnt know vespian personally (because if i did he would realise my sence of umor is incredibly dry)

So i apologise to any one who took offence, or found what i did arrogant or offensive.

Ive also changed my sig, so people know im a numpty before they find out the hard way

So vespain, no beef man,
i didnt mean for you to interpret it the way you did

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 4:51 pm 
Khon wrote:
DEATH TO XBOX

PS3 FTW!!!!

Pahhh! PS3 !! don't you mean that cheap tacky, Overpriced blue ray dvd player, blueray being a format only some films are released on, dubbed to be betamax! I had 3 playstation2 consoles not one of them lasted! no way would I buy there next heap of junk!! I bought an Xbox Original when it first came out, that xbox has out lived any ps2 I had and will probably outlive most Ps3 consoles, I dont know how many Playstations break down ermmm?/? too many! and then theres the ring of red you say .... well yes thats right, but at least it gets repaired and returned to you within 14days, then you get an extra months xbox live for free too. If your cant come out to playstation breaks down, you have to foot the bill yourself! I know what I would rather have!
Oh yes then theres the point about the noise an xbox makes well its no louder than the sound of a playstation being crushed down the tip is it? lets face it thats where most playstions end up when people descover its cheaper to buy a new one than get it repaired!

I would not say Death to the Playstation, theres no point Playstations just die anyway!

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 4:51 pm 
Khon wrote:
DEATH TO XBOX

PS3 FTW!!!!

Pahhh! PS3 !! don't you mean that cheap tacky, Overpriced blue ray dvd player, blueray being a format only some films are released on, dubbed to be betamax! I had 3 playstation2 consoles not one of them lasted! no way would I buy there next heap of junk!! I bought an Xbox Original when it first came out, that xbox has out lived any ps2 I had and will probably outlive most Ps3 consoles, I dont know how many Playstations break down ermmm?/? too many! and then theres the ring of red you say .... well yes thats right, but at least it gets repaired and returned to you within 14days, then you get an extra months xbox live for free too. If your cant come out to playstation breaks down, you have to foot the bill yourself! I know what I would rather have!
Oh yes then theres the point about the noise an xbox makes well its no louder than the sound of a playstation being crushed down the tip is it? lets face it thats where most playstions end up when people descover its cheaper to buy a new one than get it repaired!

I would not say Death to the Playstation, theres no point Playstations just die anyway!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 16 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next