Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 36 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:51 pm 
But it was the known things which were the scariest all through the series. Mr X and the Nemesis are prime examples of this, you know what they were and what they could do, but they were scary as Coventry because you know nothing would stop them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:54 pm 
Motor Mouth

Medals: 1
Dungeonbowl Champion (1)
Dot Agumon wrote:
But it was the known things which were the scariest all through the series. Mr X and the Nemesis are prime examples of this, you know what they were and what they could do, but they were scary as Coventry because you know nothing would stop them.

I was talking specifically about RE1, after that it is no longer Genre Creating/defining. None of the other RE games live up to the first one as they are no longer something new.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:21 pm 
Helios wrote:
Tenchu!!!! Hahahaha

That game was so awful and yet so good. We have it on my old Playstation 1, and Alastair just loves occasionally putting it on to laugh at the crappy voice acting and the stupid guards...

"Ooh! Some rice just mysteriously dropped out of the sky... I sure am hungry....."

*Eats rice*

"Ooooh...ooo-ooooh! My stomach! Ooh that was bad rice!"

"Ooh! Some more rice has just dropped mysteriously out of the sky... I sure am hungry...."

etc

Endless fun!

You let them eat the rice? I always just used it as a fishing lure to get people into alleyways where I could murder them.

"Ooh! A bowl of rice just sailed over my head and went bouncing down the alleyway (without spilling a grain!) I sure am hungry....Aagh! My spleen!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:50 pm 
Daremonai wrote:
Helios wrote:
Tenchu!!!! Hahahaha

That game was so awful and yet so good. We have it on my old Playstation 1, and Alastair just loves occasionally putting it on to laugh at the crappy voice acting and the stupid guards...

"Ooh! Some rice just mysteriously dropped out of the sky... I sure am hungry....."

*Eats rice*

"Ooooh...ooo-ooooh! My stomach! Ooh that was bad rice!"

"Ooh! Some more rice has just dropped mysteriously out of the sky... I sure am hungry...."

etc

Endless fun!

You let them eat the rice? I always just used it as a fishing lure to get people into alleyways where I could murder them.

"Ooh! A bowl of rice just sailed over my head and went bouncing down the alleyway (without spilling a grain!) I sure am hungry....Aagh! My spleen!"

It was more that we found it hilarious that they ate the rice, got sick from it, and then a few seconds later saw another identical portion of rice appear, and ate that too!

Aaaah... old attempts at AI in games were great - guards deciding that they'll ignore you because you've disappeared from sight for five seconds, and then seem completely surpised when they're stabbed from behind very soon afterwards...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:13 pm 
See now you've made me feel stupid :P

Because i sitll get completely pwne dby the Ai on MGS 1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:15 pm 
MGS was great fun for just following guards while you're wearing the box. Nobody ever thought it was odd that this box was always *right* behind them when they turned around, no matter how far they walked...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 3:26 pm 
you all need to play Suikoden 1 & 2 this game is the best game of any console (barring monky island 1 & 2)
also i like Vandel Hearts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 3:29 pm 
Motor Mouth

richardmaz wrote:
(barring monky island 1 & 2)

Look behind you! A three-headed monkey!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 3:36 pm 
like i'm going to fall for that one but if you have "get ahead in navigation" i might be interested

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 4:06 pm 
bigmaddrongo wrote:
richardmaz wrote:

How appropriate, you fight like a cow.

As for PS1 games, I used to have a great time getting stoned with my sister and playing Hogs of War.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 4:08 pm 
Motor Mouth

Gez wrote:
bigmaddrongo wrote:
richardmaz wrote:

How appropriate, you fight like a cow.

I'm selling these fine leather jackets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 4:13 pm 
richardmaz wrote:

I have Vandal Hearts on my PS. I played it again last summer while my other half was away on business for two weeks, and was very pleased to find I still enjoyed it as much as I did in my adolescent years :)
The story is cheesily told, but the graphics are cute, and strategy gameplay is absorbing.

The FMVs between each chapter have always been one of the only let-downs for me - interesting style, but that narrator is sooo strange! And you can't skip them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 4:26 pm 
Helios wrote:
richardmaz wrote:

I have Vandal Hearts on my PS. I played it again last summer while my other half was away on business for two weeks, and was very pleased to find I still enjoyed it as much as I did in my adolescent years :)
The story is cheesily told, but the graphics are cute, and strategy gameplay is absorbing.

The FMVs between each chapter have always been one of the only let-downs for me - interesting style, but that narrator is sooo strange! And you can't skip them.

i used to love those FMV's but then again i am wierd as i also think the soulblade intro is the best music ever. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 4:40 pm 
Vandal Hearts was a fun game the few times I played it, though it was annoying as Coventry that for some reason as soon as you defeated the enemy you evacuated as quickly as possible instead of going and grab all the various pieces of treasure that were scattered about.

Upgrading units to archers with hangliders was awesome though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 4:59 pm 
richardmaz wrote:
Helios wrote:

i used to love those FMV's but then again i am wierd as i also think the soulblade intro is the best music ever. :oops:

Oh, I think it was just the narrator, thinking about it...
The music in VH was perfectly nice, the FMVs looked ok for the time, and I actually liked the combination of drawing over minimal CG. The story is fairly good too, so that wasn't the problem either - it actually gets quite political in places, if I remember. As has been discussed previously though, I think it is another Japanese game that suffers from being translated into Cheese ;)

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 36 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next