Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 22 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Ahem...
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:08 pm 
.....well I can confess to losing myself on my BBC Micro on a text based RPG...the name evades me.....

..as well as then evolving into the mighty Dungeon Master or similar (??) on my Atari ST!!!

God I must be old!!!!
:cry: 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:16 pm 
Helios wrote:
Indidentally - Daremonai, you have played the Japanese version of FF7 - do you speak Japanese?

I speak Japanese pretty well, but in all honesty I only read/write it about as well as a 10-year-old might unless my trusty dictionary is at my side. That tends to be enough for most FF games though, because the limited resolution stops them from using the more complex characters and makes them write in a simpler alphabet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:20 pm 
Daremonai wrote:
Helios wrote:
Indidentally - Daremonai, you have played the Japanese version of FF7 - do you speak Japanese?

I speak Japanese pretty well, but in all honesty I only read/write it about as well as a 10-year-old might unless my trusty dictionary is at my side. That tends to be enough for most FF games though, because the limited resolution stops them from using the more complex characters and makes them write in a simpler alphabet.

How did you go about learning it? I've looked into local places and not found much of use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:23 pm 
I was lucky enough to spend a year at Osaka International University (In Osaka, Japan) as part of my degree course. I still go over there when I can afford to, to catch up with with friends and whatnot. Being able to sleep on someone's sofa makes it a whole lot cheaper.

In all honesty, there are probably a whole load of more useful things you cold do with your time than learn a language that's only spoken in one nation on the planet, but I find it's occasionally useful with imported games/movies, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 3:27 pm 
as i have already posted Suikoden is the most awesome retro RPG (what else can still sell for more than most new games

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 4:36 pm 
While I'm not decrying the Genso Suikoden series, I really can't see what it is about them that is worth upwards of £50 per game. Like I said somewhere else on these forums, I actually brought #3 and #4 back from Japan for a friend who is a HUGE fan of the series, but I still have no idea why.

###WARNING - SPOILER FOR SOME 10-YEAR-OLD GAMES AHEAD***

The story in suiko isn't that ground-breaking or compelling, and Aeris' death in FF7 was far more moving than when Gremio is killed by ...flesh-eating spores...

Anyway, maybe it's something ineffable about them (or maybe it's just something I personally can't eff (is that even a word?)) but while I played through the first game and most of the second happily enough, I really don't get what makes them great compared to what was already around at the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 7:26 pm 
richardmaz wrote:
as i have already posted Suikoden is the most awesome retro RPG (what else can still sell for more than most new games

There are NES games that dwarf the price of modern games too. :/

Illusion of Time/Gaia was pretty damn badass. Good story, great graphics and who doesn't like wielding a flute as your main weapons?

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 22 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2