Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: Virtual Console on the Wii
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:38 pm 
Hi all,

Just wondering if anybody had any recommendations on the retro games for the Wii? Downloaded a few of the usual suspects such as Mario Kart64 etc but wondered what the "hidden" gems were? Also, probably happy to hear about the "duffers" so that they can be avoided like the plague :wink: ! Guess it's one way of making games legally available on emulators :) . If anybody has got thoughts on what's available for other consoles / PC, it would be fun to hear about that as well.

Regards,

Jaydee.

Post subject: Re: Virtual Console on the Wii
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:30 am 
Hi Jaydee,

There really are some great classics on the virtual console, the first ones I downloaded were all the ones I played on previous consoles, legend of Zelda, Mario Kart 64, Sonic and that sort of thing. I've been told by my nephew that Super Mario RPG is excellent, but I don't know much about it as I don't think it made it to the UK. I personally fancy trying Samurai Showdown I or II on the Neo Geo as I never had the console and only got to play this systems games on an emulator and I also fancy F-Zero X on the N64 as I missed out on this too.

I think the real problem about downloading games you don't know is, in the hope of finding a 'hidden gem' it could cost you loads of wii points only to be a 'duffer', I've been lucky so far. But most people seem to stick to their old favourites and not experiment too much. I'm more concerned about running out of memory!!

Its always worth checking out http://www.vc-reviews.com/ as this site seems to cover everything, and also lets you know what's due up. Its certainly gave me some idea about the games I've never played or have forgotten about. It has loads of screenshots too, which often nudge the memory if the name of the game dont, but that might just be my old age!

Good luck in your search for some 'hidden gems' and if you do find one please let me know.

Kind Regards,

Vesp.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:12 pm 
Hello and thanks for the info :) . Sorry it's taken a while for me to reply but have been away from keyboard as they say. I can recommend the Super Mario RPG (900 points SNES game,yes?) as I've just downloaded it and it's quite good. Even my four year old enjoys it so can't be bad! No expert on Final Fantasy type systems but it kind of reminds me of that type of system (admittedly in a very loose sense). The humour and storyline is very Mario and it's gentle enough playing (not that I've finished it yet). Don't worry about it being a "Jap Import" as it surprised me that they never did officially release it in Europe. I'll check out the website and write a few more thoughts in the near future.

Regards,

Jaydee.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:08 am 
Hey, just thought i'd let you know about the WiiWare section if you haven't already checked it out.

It has quite a few titles in there and they're all original exclusive games made by established publishers like Capcom (Street Fighter, Resident Evil) and Square-Enix (Final Fantasy), to small lesser known developers.

My recommendation from there would definitely be Megaman 9, If you've played any of the old NES ones you'll love this 'cause they've based they've based it on them. If you haven't, it's a great game, very challenging in parts but brilliant none the less.

Hope that helps.

Tom.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:00 am 
Thanks Tom :) , I'll check that one out over the weekend. Quick question, (partly down to laziness having not read the console manuals), what happens when the Wii's console memory is full? If you delete an old game to make space, does it stay permanently deleted or is it still available as a free download for a later date as you've already payed for it? Or is it possible to download to a SD card but I don't know if that is barred due to copy protection?

Thanks in advance,

Jaydee.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:28 am 
Hi,

You can save the games you download to a SD card but when you play them again you have to re-install them back on to the Wii.

I did read that Nintendo announced in Japan this week that they will be releasing a patch that will actually allow you to play the games direct from the SD Card, so that at least will solve the memory problem for a while. But as it has only just been announced it might take a while till we see it.

I did find out one thing regarding game downloads- I purchased a wii when they first came out, downloaded loads of games, then sold the console because they were at that time hard to get and worth twice what I payed! I waited a while then re purchased a new one. I linked my nintendo account to the new wii, and went to download the previously purchased games- only to find downloads are locked to the console they were first downloaded to. So although I have bought them once I now need to re buy for my new wii which I think is a little off. But still, it is a lesson learnt!

Sorry for waffling on and I hope this answers your query.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:44 pm 
Many thanks,

It does answer my query and I've now tried it out. Interestingly enough, one wouldn't tranfer though and that was R-Type for the TurboGrafx. Would appear that some games are more "locked" than others. The rest were fine though :) . Don't worry about chatting on a bit because it been enjoyable and useful and I've no complaints :) .

All the best,

Jaydee.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:56 am 
i highly recomend sin and punishment for n64 it wasent releced over hear but thay have translated it and have it on vurtual console thay charge a bit more for it but it is realy good

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]