Change font size
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:07 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 5   [ 72 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: RPG Rules Questions and Answers
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:06 am 
Noise Maker

Q 8:
(Before you continue, if your opinion is going to be "Why bother?" or "Just guess," or something similar, please don't post it. I'm looking for a mathematical solution that I know is present. THX!)

In d20 modern, there's a Wealth Bonus (WB) which one adds to a d20 check to see if you can afford stuff (which has a purchase DC).

As one goes up levels, one can increase this WB by making a Profession check higher than the current WB. I ran some maths on it, and it works out to (roughly) a 1.6 point increase per level. A 20th level character ought to be "very rich" by the terms of the d20 system.

Now, in D&D 3.5, characters have an expected wealth by level (see page 135 of the DMG). If you look at that table, the increases are very definitely non-linear. I broke out my true geek ability, and took the logarithm of the wealth by level figures, which gave me a nice straight linear increase.

I remember from my long-past maths and physics studies that I ought to be able to find the equation that ties these two measurements of character wealth together. Can anyone in the Vault help me, please?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:47 am 
A 8:It's been years since I did any chartiness with excel - can anyone remind me if it's possible to make a chart with a linear (not exponential) scale on an axis when your source data is at irregular intervals? Otherwise I'm going to have to bust out the graph paper and pencil to test my theories.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:33 am 
Daremonai wrote:
A 8: It's been years since I did any chartiness with excel - can anyone remind me if it's possible to make a chart with a linear (not exponential) scale on an axis when your source data is at irregular intervals? Otherwise I'm going to have to bust out the graph paper and pencil to test my theories.

Hmmnn...yes I think so......blimey beena while...searching grey matter......searching grey matter......searching grey matter.....oh well that didn't take long.....lots of love.....now to find my course notes from advanced excel........item 1.....what is a cell.....

.....seriously though I am pretty sure it is....will try and remember and get back to you.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:37 am 
Q 9: In D&D 3.5, if you're wielding two weapons you incur a penalty to your attacks to reflect how hard it is to attack with two weapons. If you're holding two weapons but only attack with one (as a standard action after a move, or as an attack of opportunity) does the penalty still apply?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:54 am 
A 9: I can't claim to be in the right, necessarily, but I've always played it as:
Using both weapons has to be a full round action, as I understand. The character is considered to have the two weapons ready at any time he says so.
You can then opt to perform the full round attack with both weapons, with the penalties applied, or you can make a single, normal attack with no penalties applied, along with moving, performing a free action or doing nothing, as per the rules for characters without two weapon fighting.
If you move, you obviously can't make the full round attack with two weapons anyway.
Attacks of Opportunity are also normal single attacks, so no penalties there either.
Just because you're holding the other weapon, this shouldn't hamper the effectiveness of a single attack.

Not really part of your question, but I think move actions might be affected by the fact that the character has both weapons out though - retrieving an item would obviously be more difficult with no hands free...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:52 pm 
Donor

q10 Can you sneak and power attack with thesame attack?

Black Powder: AWI Redcoats
Guildball: Fishermen
Saga: Vikings

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:15 am 
A: 10 As odd as combining a powerful but clumsy strike with precision damage may seem, there's nothing in the rules to suggest that you can't. DMs may choose to differ, however.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:55 pm 
Q11 In D&D 3.5 if a Ranger takes Two-Weapon Fighting for the Combat Style option, does s/he then fulfill the prerequisites of Improved Two-Weapon Fighting? (Assume that s/he has a sufficiently high Dex score)

Additionally, if s/he DOES take ITWF, what ahppens when s/he puts on heavy armour? Combat Style is reliant on wearing light armour, but ITWF is not.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:05 pm 
A11: I think that the Combat Style two weapon fighting effectively gives the character the two weapon fighting feat for free - which I guess means that you would then be able to use a feat to get ITWF immediately (assuming you also meet the other prerequisites).
I only say this because I'm pretty sure that Alastair has done that with a fair few 1st level ranger characters (a couple of them were mine) in the past.

With regards the armour question.... no frickin' idea, and the only person I could ask has gone off to Italy until tomorrow night, sorry! :?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:00 pm 
Noise Maker

Helios wrote:
A11: I think that the Combat Style two weapon fighting effectively gives the character the two weapon fighting feat for free - which I guess means that you would then be able to use a feat to get ITWF immediately (assuming you also meet the other prerequisites).
I only say this because I'm pretty sure that Alastair has done that with a fair few 1st level ranger characters (a couple of them were mine) in the past.

With regards the armour question.... no frickin' idea, and the only person I could ask has gone off to Italy until tomorrow night, sorry! :?

I may be in Italy, but I have an internet connection!

A11 Combat Style effectively gives you the feat - the SRD says "he is treated as havingthe Two Weapon Fighting feat" - so yes, as long as you meet the other requirements of the ITWF, you can take it. When you put on heavy armour, you lose your Combat Style benefits - so you no longer qualify for ITWF either.
1st level Rangers in 3.5 don't get Combat Style, by the way. In 3rd Ed, yeah, but not 3.5 - it's a 2nd level feature. Also, one of the prerequisites of ITWF is that you have a BAB of +6. At 6th level, you get ITWF just for being a ranger anyway. Of course, if you've multiclassed, that's another matter...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:10 pm 
A11: Hooray, I was completely wrong! :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:12 am 
A8 this is actually roughly estimated in the D20 urban arcana book and i quote

Quote:
....Roughly, a gold piece is worth a hundred dollars, thus, a pouch of a hundred gold pieces is $1000.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:53 am 
Noise Maker

bouncylj wrote:
A8 this is actually roughly estimated in the D20 urban arcana book and i quote

Quote:
....Roughly, a gold piece is worth a hundred dollars, thus, a pouch of a hundred gold pieces is $1000.

Cool - except this doesn't work against the d20 Future table of Wealth Bonus compared to Dollar price.

You know, I think WotC just made it up without any attempt to tie to real values. :|

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:16 pm 
A 8: i suppose with gold prices it would make sense, a hundred year old coin could quite easily be $100 and so an old magical weapon would increase in price the same way

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:05 pm 
Noise Maker

bouncylj wrote:
A 8: i suppose with gold prices it would make sense, a hundred year old coin could quite easily be $100 and so an old magical weapon would increase in price the same way

Q&A 8: Trouble is, the Wealth Bonus does not have a linear relationship with the dollar or GP values of anything in the game.
The best I've managed to come up with is that for every point the Wealth Bonus increases, one should multiply the GP by the same amount, and add it to the original GP value. My biggest difficulty is where to start?

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 5   [ 72 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next