Change font size
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:10 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 7 of 7   [ 99 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: 10th SS Panzer Division
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:31 pm 
Donor

Bit of a delayed report here but forward elements of the US 2nd Armoured Division and US Rangers clashed once more with the 10th. Moving quickly to maintain pressure in the retreating Germans the US forces slow as they meet stiff resistance from the German rearguard. Will the fierce defenders blunt the American surge? Read on!
The German Force
The US Force
As part of the Pre game sequence the US attacker called down a preparatory bombardment causing a smattering of pins but most damaging causing a direct hit in the German tank causing it to go down and take 2 pins. As the smoke cleared and the ringing in the Germans ears quietened it was swiftly replaced by the throaty rumble of diesel engines as the US advanced.
Turn One
The Scout car moves forward at pace and shoots at the silent form of the German tank causing an additional pin counter. All other US forces move towards the objectives.
German Sniper draws a bead on rapidly advancing Ranger squad and causes a pin. The SS squad of the Left Hand side (Lhs squad) also shoots the Rangers gunning down one member.
Turn 2 -
German tank attempts to follow orders but fails and goes down, german officers runs over to support. The US Scout car shoots tank again for another pin. Attempting to finish off the pinned behemoth the Bazooka team launches and misses. The German sniper misses the Rangers, revealing himself to the waiting US sniper who shoots, hits the German sniper causing a pin. With a roar of diesel engines the Sherman advances and shoots SS on the Right Hand Side (RHS) squad, the HE round killing 3. Seeing the Shermans success the Half track carrying Alpha Squad shoots Lhs unit with HMG and kills 1 man. Keen to neutralise the LHS threat the Rangers advance and shoot Lhs unit also again killing one. The Lhs German unit attempts a charge but fails morale. The German MMG in the church ruins shoots Charlie unit and kills 3.
Meanwhile the Rhs unit realising it can't help against the armoured spearhead runs across the battlefield to support the threatened left flank.
Turn 3
The German officer runs to berate tank. The Rangers once again pepper the ruins containing the Lhs unit with fire causing one pin but no casualties. The tank ignored the officer and fails order roll again. The Bazooka team once again misses it's target. Rhs unit swiftly charges into close combat with the Rangers killing 2 and suffering 3 in return. Being fanatics they continue the fight killing a single Ranger, in return the Rangers fail to inflict a single wound (9 dice, no 5+) and the Rangers are destroyed. The Half-track shoots MMG in church kills 1 man,
Sherman shoots piles fire into MMG team in church only causing one pin. The Scout car once again. shoots tank and misses. Charlie squad advances and shoots rhs squad for 2 casualties. Alpha team debusses and overwhelms the last members of the MMG team capturing the objective after a spirited defence by the beleaguered Germans.
The Lhs German squad attempts charge and fails order test. Bravo squad advances peppering the German sniper with shots, causing the spotter to take a dirt nap. The German sniper spots a member of Charlie squad chambers a round and gains a small measure of vengeance.
Seeing his squads under fire US 2nd Lt shoots and pins German sniper.
Turn 4
German tank continues to ignore officer. The Bazooka team finally gets its aim and shoots tank but fails to penetrate. The Lhs squad in the ruins fail order test for charge again. Scout car moves and shoots it's HMG at mortar in the ruined cottage causing 1 pin. Charlie Squad suffers a casualty from the remnants of the Rhs squad and from the German Sniper again. Seeing the church ruins occupied the German 1st Lt shoots at Alpha Squad with a single round, gaining grim satisfaction from seeing one man fall. The half track engages and kills the German medic who has been sheltering near the Lhs squad. Alpha squad vacates church to engage captain and kill one man of his squad in shooting. US sniper misses German sniper. Sensing the end Bravo squad shoots the lone survivor of the rhs squad (1 man, 9 shots no death). With a growing sense of frustration Charlie squad advance towards the Rhs squad survivor. The Sherman now ignoring the pinned German tank and shoots the sniper and kills him.

Turn 5
Lhs squads fails it's order test once again. The Bazooka team shoot and the metal behemoth erupts in flame.
Charlie charge rhs squad and are repulsed and destroyed. German captain shoots alpha squad kills 1. Alpha then shoots the captain in return failing to kill him, as does the Sniper. The Scout car once again peppers the mortar for 1 kill.

Turn 6 - The US half track shoots Lhs squad killing one.
Seeing the frustration mounting the Sherman turret traverses and does what the others could not ending the German officers battle in a cloud of smoke and flame. Alpha charges and wipes out mortar capturing objective.
German Lhs squad fail order test once more and Bravo squad charge and wipe out Lhs squad to capture final objective and ending the game.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:35 pm 
Donor

Overall an excellent game from an excellent opponent. The biggest factor was by far the unlucky (or lucky from my point of view) preparatory bombardment which basically put Gazza's tank out of action. The pins on it coupled with the ones I quickly started to add meant it never took part. This in turn allowed my Sherman to run rampant. Gazza's troops lived up to their menace, the melee with them being brutal and costing me two squads. The most notable being my Rangers who were almost at full strength.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:15 pm 
Noise Maker

Medals: 3
League Champion (3)
Nice report.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:02 pm 
Blood Bowl Bounties Coordinator

Nice report Adam although I do think your being rather generous to the SS forces who struggled against your armour all game after the ineptness of the MKIV :wink: . Certainly in time I am expecting to fine tune my army list a bit more at 1000pts and a 3rd squad to be added along with some more anti-armour arms is probably a must when facing US armour, and going from the 'Watch On The Rhine' theatre selector force a 2nd MMG team can also be included. But, all in good time as they say, for now the 10th will just have to adapt to the unrelenting advance of the accursed Americans.

As always, a great game.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:00 pm 
Donor

Another game against Gazza's forces last night. Following on from recent gains by American forces Gazza led his men into a desperate counter attack to recapture the strategic ruins.
I didn't manage to take detailed notes on the game this time, it was a fun game that ended in inglorious defeat once more for the 10th. We played a "hold until relieved" mission with me setting up an Infantry Squad and a Howitzer in the ruins at the centre of the field. Gazza then set up his units with the aim of snatching the objective and digging in before my reinforcements counter attacked. Unfortunately that's where it all went alittle wrong (as no doubt Gazza will elaborate), atrocious dice led to failed order tests and a seeming aversion to causing wounds (11 dice needing 4's and getting 2 as an example) on the Germans behalf.
It was a fun game (although I would say that) with shouts of dismay, brutal close combat and furious firefights on every side of the table and I'd like to thank Gazza for being an excellent opponent and around good bloke.
As my phone died during the game I only managed a couple of photos of the action.

My infantry dig in on the objective

The SS infantry plan a flanking maneuver on the howitzer

The US Hellcat trades shots with the distant Panzer.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:49 pm 
Noise Maker

Medals: 2
League Champion (1)
KO Cup (1)
I spy new scenery gazza I wager a mighty fine bloke gave you that? :)

BlackPowder - French

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:16 pm 

Sometimes it takes a while to 'gel' with an army, to, for want of a better word, 'click' with it. The 10th are turning into one such force. I've been here before of course, it took time for me to start getting the hang of the Circle in WM/H and certain BB teams have often caused me great frustration to play. The big issue is, to be honest, me. Against sub-human Ivan the mighty SS seem to go about there business, trading blow for blow with the Russians and producing some great cinematic games. Against the might of Adam's US armour and Rangers we still have the same great cinematic games except it is the US (who else) who are taking all the plaudits and the moments of great heroism while the SS cower in the corner wetting themselves in terror. I neither have a plan or strategy (I attacked a very capable force in peacemeal when I should have attacked with the bulk of my force at one focused point in Adam's lines), I often lose sight of what the mission objective is and get carried away by shooting things, I am often so worried about losing my Panzer I set it up in an idiotic position (it took me 2 turns to turn it round and be able to move it more than 3" in the game :oops: ), my firing lines due to placement are never the best ( both MMG's I felt could have been more effective with a better set-up, they were probably at 66% effectiveness imo). Adam will say the dice were pretty cruel at times to me but as an SS commander I will not hide behind the excuse of 'bad luck' and dice :wink: . At the moment if i was to be marked out of ten for my Bolt Action leadership it would be 2/10 (for effort :lots of love: ).

Next game I have a plan so the curse that US Armour has over me will hopefully be broken :twisted: . The fight for Normandy starts for real now! :oops:

Post subject: Re: Bolt Action Germans.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:56 pm 

Updated title due to directional change in army outlook.

Post subject: Re: Bolt Action Germans.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:42 pm 

It's been a while but I have finally finished the first batch of SS troops I purchased many moons ago. Am trying to sort pics out and I have some to upload but got to re-size them apparently :shock: :? . But here's one to be going on with. Current army size of fully painted troops is 653pts late-war SS.

Attachments:
File comment: A Panzergrenadier of the 4th SS Division 'Polizei' scans the woodland terrain from the cover of his ruined building, looking for retreating Russian soldiers from the City of Minsk.
2014-10-05 18.52.17.jpg
2014-10-05 18.52.17.jpg [ 66.93 KiB | Viewed 533 times ]
Post a new topicPost a reply Page 7 of 7   [ 99 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7