It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:41 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 21 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Getting my nappy on
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 10:39 pm 
Noise Maker

Medals: 3
League Champion (3)
Starting this as a new thread as it's going to be rather large, and it makes it easier to find for Rayner etc. As mentioned previously we've decided to start a bit of Napoleonic project over at Leamington (at the start of 2014). A lot of the build up chatter and musings are already written at http://www.warwickshiregamers.org.uk so seems very little point re-writing 4 pages, you need to register for the forum, but I'm an admin so use a recognisable user name and I'll approve you, easy. We've also started some threads on the blog to chart our progress and hope to have musings and painting guides etc on there building up over the coming year; http://www.warwickshiregamers.org.uk

However, the key bits:
In late May/early June 2015 we're going to refight Leipzig or another of the 1813 battles. Originally we thought Bautzen or Lutzen, which is French vs Prussians and Russians, but Leipzig would allow Austrians too. The final decision will probably hinge on whether we get an Austrian player or not. How much we try to re-create will depend on available figures.
The 'big event' will be an all day Saturday or Sunday multi-player affair on a massive table (something like 14'x10'ish) club can provide all the terrain. The idea was that as we build the armies we can play some smaller games to get used to the system, and maybe the odd skirmish game of Sharp Practice etc. At the end of it all each person will have a decent sized usable Black Powder Napoleonic force to use happily ever after.
The planning really revolves around getting a roughly even number of players for each side and checking everyone is roughly on track to meet the end date. Given it's a large undertaking this mostly means me being bossy (but trying not to be) and ensuring the players remember that being hopelessly off schedule with just a few weeks to go is potentially a massive pain in the crackers to everyone else who's been investing time and £ to be ready for the big finale.

Post subject: Re: Getting my nappy on
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 11:11 pm 
Noise Maker

Medals: 2
League Champion (1)
KO Cup (1)
Registered

BlackPowder - French

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 11:21 pm 
Noise Maker

League Champion (3)
So, the details of what's involved should you be interested...

Firstly, NOT an in depth knowledge of all things Napoleonic, because that's what's put me off for years, this is absolutely not a 'who knows the most stupidly intricate historical details' contest. I started with the appropriately titled Napoleon for Dummies, now combined with a healthy dose of wikis, some ospreys and bugging club expert Doc on what the Coventry Is what. There are no dumb questions, the war gaming police have not been invited.

In order to keep costs sensible we've gone for 24 man infantry units, and 6 man cavalry units. The infantry will be 2 deep, 20mm per man frontage, so basically 40x40mm bases. This allows a unit to form all required formations, square, line, column etc. some cavalry will have to be metal, so doing away with the second rank halves costs whilst having virtually no game impact and still aesthetically good.

Force structure:
The aim was for each player to have a viable force that they can use in build up games and afterwards, so that means a couple of infantry brigades (3-4 units each) and one cavalry brigade (2-4) units. Generally each brigade will have an artillery piece.
The other reason for looking at a rough minimum was we'd want 3v3 or 4v4 for the set piece battle, more than that and it'll be really slow, secondly if there are the best part of 2,000-3,000 figures on the table (and we're looking at using black powder to make it a fast flowing game) if you come along with one small brigade you risk either being dead or broken rather quickly, or being part of the reserve for 4 hours. Neither are likely to make you ultra happy, and the whole concept is it's meant to be fun.
Essentially then you're looking at: 6-7+ foot units, 3+ cavalry, 3+ cannons, 3 brigadier bases, 1 c-in-c base.
There are some possible variations by nation to make it feel a bit more 'right' but will save such details for another time.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 11:38 pm 
Noise Maker

League Champion (3)
I have included a system of La Gloire points where people get points for meeting interim deadlines like posting a photo of progress etc. will add details of that as required. Essentially each point can be spent on the day for a re-roll or other minor benefit. I have a year to work out the exact idea...

To give you and idea, people/ numbers thus far:

Paul(me). French
have acquired what should turn out to be 12 line units of foot, 4 units of guard (who'll probably sit in reserve for most day...), 2 units hussars, 2 cuirassiers, 2 units dragoons. Future additions - artillery and some of the new warlord line as they'll make great conscript troops.

Tom, French,
He missed the great plastic buying fest of Salute, but ordering the Perry's starter army of approx 140 line foot and going to add bits.

Rayner, French tbc

Doc, Prussian
He is a collecting and painting machine so this will likely expand but I think thus far 10 units foot, 6 cavalry, artillery for all brigades.

Dan, Russian
Salute provided 240ish foot, and 2 guns. Cavalry (and more guns and foot I expect) to follow over the year.

So relatively even thus far. Next recruit ideally allied, and no Austrians yet although AndyM was dithering about doing some. White undercoat, base colour details, wash - easy!

Anyway, enough rambling. Feel free to chirp in.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 10:48 am 
Noise Maker

League Champion (3)

Prototype fusilier

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 6:52 pm 
Noise Maker

League Champion (1)
KO Cup (1)
Looking good. I have 2 boxes of line infantry at this point, one victrix 1804-1807 and a perry 1812-1815. Obviously the perry box is the correct period or the battle. Are you ok with me using the other troops or would you sooner I didn't?

BlackPowder - French

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 7:41 pm 
Noise Maker

League Champion (3)
As I've mentioned on the warwick victrix thread you probably ddon't want them to form the bulk but the odd unit in wrong period uniform wouldn't be that weird courtesy of bad supply. Are those the ones with bicornes? That would be more out of date but I think some guard might have kept them. In short, no problem using the box you have, I can check to see if here is anyone they will represent best.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 8:38 pm 
Noise Maker

League Champion (1)
KO Cup (1)
Cool cheers. I may leave them till last if pos. Yeah they have the bicores. Also i have been looking at the perry minis and as for a units structure an i correct in thinking that a single unit (24 minis) consists of 6 companies of fusilers thus a base of each (4 mins) 1 company of grenadiers and one of voltiguers? Unit organisation isn't something i have looked deeply into yet.

BlackPowder - French

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 10:35 pm 
Noise Maker

League Champion (3)
Yep, 24 figs is ideal for the french because they fielded 6 companies, so 4 figs/1 base for each. 4 fusiliers, 1 grenadier, 1 voltiguer. The gren and volt figures are the same, just paint the pom poms and epaulettes a different colour. Each company of fusiliers had a set colour pom pom as outlined by the perry guide and box. Otherwise the uniforms are all the same. I struggled a bit to work out which blue to use as some guides are very dark - but makes them look almost prussian. I ended up going for a mid blue and the black dip darkened it to something that seems about reasonable. Thinking the greatcoats will be a lot.quicker to paint!

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 12:55 am 
Noise Maker

League Champion (1)
KO Cup (1)
Cool cheers.

BlackPowder - French

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:03 pm 
Noise Maker

League Champion (1)
KO Cup (1)
My much better other half got me the new french starter army from warlord (man I love her) So le grand army can being! :)

BlackPowder - French

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:44 pm 
Noise Maker

League Champion (1)
KO Cup (1)
Cannon
Battalion in uniform

Battalion in greatcoats

Both together

BlackPowder - French

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:54 pm 
Motor Mouth

Medals: 1
KO Cup (1)
Look great !!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:22 am 
Donor

Awesome!

Nicely done!

Black Powder: AWI Redcoats
Guildball: Fishermen
Saga: Vikings

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:56 am 
Hi Paul
Sent a pm and registered. Looking for more information on this campaign as very interested.
Hope to hear from you soon

Mike

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 21 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next