Change font size
It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:14 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 43 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Operation Avalanche! Taking Salerno.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:13 pm 
Noise Maker

Medals: 2
League Champion (1)
KO Cup (1)
Ok so I have volunteered to write at least part of the Italian campaign in WW2 for Random and Jack, they may be adding bits to it, hopefully rivaling my and Gazza's Barbarossa action, No pressure :wink:

Scenario 1: Silent Shores

Army size: 1000pts each

Allied forces: US Platoon (Operation Avalanche selector)
Axis Forces: German Platoon (Defence of Italy selector) or/and Italian Platoon (Italian re-enforcement selector)

Rules: standard, http://www.warlordgames.com/rules-amphibious-assaults/

Battlefield: Area of beach,shallow water and deep water should be denoted before game and ran across the Americans board edge. Axis players can set up 12" away from the battlefield central line (see envelopment)

Scenario rules:
Axis special rules
Dug in: German/Italian player may take all MMG teams for free
Reserves
Hidden set up
may place 1-3 bunkers in their deployment zone, the bunkers may contain a maximum of 3 infantry units.

US special rules
Reinforcements: When the Americans have lost enough riflemen to form a new squad they can add a new order dice to their pool and bring them on using a destroyed or existing landing craft next turn the next turn. The unit is classed as Regular and may only be equipt with rifles. The American player may hold off to get a maximum number of troops per unit as dictated by the theater selector.

Set up:
The German player sets up at least half of his force in his deployment area, the rest are in reserve.

Objective: The Americans must neutralise the bunkers and move as many units into the German deployment zone or off the German table edge. Note the American forces are allowed to deliberately move off the Germans table edge.

First turn:
The Americans can move his landing craft on to the board from his own table edge given run or advance order.

Game duration:
Game last for 6 turns with a normal roll for another turn after that has elapsed.

Victory: At the end of the game calculate which side has won by adding up the victory points, if one player scores more than 2 victory points more than the other they have won, otherwise it is a draw.

The Americans score 2 victory points for each units leaving the board via the German board edge, 1 point for each unit in the German deployment zone at the end of the game and 3 points for each Bunker that has been completely neutralised (no German troops inside)

The German player scores 2 points for every American unit destroyed.

Suggested terrain rules:
Barb Wire/Seawall:
When troops moved in contact with the wire they had to stop. The next turn they could either advance through the wire (but not run) or clear it. To clear the wire the unit had to issue down order (but required a moral test if they had pins). If the order was successful the wire was cleared. If troops were along the seawall they could not be seen by Germans on the bluffs.

Trenches:
The trenches offered hard cover to all troops in the trench and reduced all HE hits in half.

Dragons Teeth:
Dragons teeth offered hard cover and impassable to tanks.

Tank Traps:
Tank traps offered soft cover and impassable to tanks.

Bunkers:
Germans can start the game with their infantry units in the bunker.

When shooting at bunkers with small arms the Americans always needed 6s on 6s to score a hit, unless they were at point blank range, then they needed 6s. If they scored a hit they killed on a six, like buildings. Bunkers can not be assaulted from the front. Bunker had to be assaulted from the rear. All assaults on the bunkers were treated like troops assaulting units in buildings.
If fired at by heavy weapons the bunker is assumed to have an armour value of a 11+. using this damage table.

1 or less, Shaken all units in the Bunker are over come buy smoke and shock, add one pin marker to each, place a down marker on each of the units and they make may not take another action.

2, Partial collapse, The hit has smashed a hole in the bunker, all the units inside the bunker add one pin counter, then roll for each unit inside the bunker on a 1,2 it is caught under the collapse and killed, 3,4,5 or 6 place a down marker on each of the units and they make may not take another action.

3 Fire, the bunkers has caught fire, all units inside take another pin marker, each unit may try to put the fire out by taking a moral check, if passed the fire is put out place a down order dice on the unit. if all the tests fail the bunker becomes an inferno roll for each unit inside on a 1,2 or 3 they burn to death, 4,5 or 6 they manage to escape and may fight on.

4,5 or 6. Collapsed, The bunker explodes and all units inside are killed out right.

BlackPowder - French

Last edited by Ragnar The Destroyer on Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Operation Avalanche! Taking Salerno.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:00 am 
Donor

Awesome!!

Black Powder: AWI Redcoats
Guildball: Fishermen
Saga: Vikings

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:01 pm 
Blood Bowl Bounties Coordinator

Tough times ahead for the Americans I reckon :wink: . Scenario looks good Rayner, especially the free MMG teams (a German players dream tbh :lots of love: ).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:50 pm 
Donor

The German forces are assembled.

Ready to face any would be invaders.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:21 pm 
Noise Maker

League Champion (1)
KO Cup (1)
I don't think its un winnable for either sides. Obviously looking for critasisms. Both theoretical and if its played.

BlackPowder - French

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:37 pm 
Donor

I think that the mmg teams for free should be regular

At d day and other landings, the dudes in bunkers weren't mega tough veterans

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:46 pm 
Noise Maker

League Champion (1)
KO Cup (1)
Its not d, day. And its up to you. If you feel regular is fair play regular.

BlackPowder - French

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:15 pm 
Noise Maker

League Champion (1)
KO Cup (1)
Scenario 2: Over the Sele

Army size: 750pts

Allied forces:
US Platoon (Operation Avalanche selector)
Axis Forces: German Platoon (Defence of Italy selector) or/and Italian Platoon (Italian re-enforcement selector)

Rules: Bolt action wargame rules

Battlefield: A river section to link the two shorter board edges with a crossing point within 12” of the central point of the board. Other obvious scenery applies

Scenario rules:
Axis special rules: If the axis player was victorious in scenario 1 they may deploy an extra unit (of any type as long as it has a damage value of 7+ or less) in the set up phase.
Reserves

Allied special rules:
If the allied player was victorious in scenario 1 they may start bringing reserves on in turn 1 rather than turn 2.
Reserves
Hidden set up

Set up:
The Axis player may set up an infantry unit and one other unit (this may be any unit with a damage value of 7+ or less) of the units left half can bee chosen for the first wave and the other half will be in reserve.
The Allied player breaks his force into two halves, one may set up anywhere in the Allied half of the board as long as they are not with in 18” of an enemy unit, these units can use “hidden set up”. The other half are held in reserve.

Objective: The aim is to control the crossing point by the end of the game. To do so there must be a model from your infantry or artillery units within 3” of the objective and no enemy models from an infantry of artillery unit within 3” of the objective.

First turn: The Axis first wave come onto the board via their board edge using a run or advance order. No order roll is required for the first wave.

Game duration:
Game last for 6 turns with a normal roll for another turn after that has elapsed.

Victory: If one side controls the crossing point at the end of the game they have won, if neither or both have claims it is a draw.

BlackPowder - French

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:21 am 
Donor

Game two-

The field of battle

As the Americans stormed the field, the Fallschirmjager had to come into the field from reserves.

Turn 1 was mostly uneventful, a few shots were fired with no success.

The hidden German sniper managed to kill a BAR trooper on the left flank.

The M7 Priest moved into position along the road, this would prove a key piece for the yanks.

It fired the heavy howitzer which wiped out the Grenadiers that were approaching the beach.

The Americans also called in an air strike on one of my paratrooper squads.

Turn 2

The american air strike turns up and it's a ground attack aircraft. Uh oh.

The attacking aeroplane slaughtered 1 of the 3 remaining squads. It wasn't looking great for the germans.

The squad on the left flank who were trying to shift the yanks hiding behind sandbags.

That didn't prove too effective and consequently the Americans took out the germans with return fire.

At this point I was down to my last Fallschirmjager squad, my engineers and the wavering left flank troops.

Fire from the U.S. MMG teams killed a few troops.

Second airstrike called in on the german engineers that were attempting to advance on the bridge.

Turn 3.

Another ground attack plane comes in and kills the engineers.

I'm now down to one squad of 8 dudes, my commander, a mortar and a medic.

The last paras try again to shift the right hand MMG. lots of shots, but due to their defensive position ineffective.

The American engineers then crossed the bridge and shot my final squad with a flame thrower. Wiping them out.

The final Americans crossed the bridge and kills the remaining germans.

Victory to the USA.

'MURCA

I didn't take many images as I got too excited :P

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:26 am 
Donor

So, my post game thoughts are this.

Attacking dug in troops is tough.

I think that I needed some transports, having to advance onto the board really put me on the back foot.

Air observers are now priority when fighting the USA. Due to their special rules, they can call in two air strikes per game.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:37 pm 

Excellent stuff, board looks good and nice to see the Italian campaign gain some momentum.

US forces are starting to become a problem for us German players I reckon :evil: . Any chance of both lists being posted up on this thread? Hadn't realised that your game had only lasted 3 turns, oh dear :shock: .

Rayner's Russians are dug-in to a point so it will be interesting to see if I can flush them out easier than your problems with the Americans Jack. I'm not at all confident I have to admit.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:19 pm 
Donor

My force consisted of
Regular 2nd Lt - 50pts
Regular Forward Air Observer - 75pts
3 x Regular Infantry Squads (7 men, 1 x SMG, 1 x BAR) - 78pts each
1 x Engineers (Flamethrower + loader) - 80pts
2 x Regular MMG TEAM - 50pts each
1 x Regular Medium Mortar - 50pts Each
Regular M7 Priest - 160pts
Total- 749pts
knowing that I was due to be defending the Bridge from the on rushing Axis forces I decided to invest heavily in team weapons, howitzers and air observer. The plan was to pound the on rushing Germans with everything I had, give ground when needed if the MMG's got over run before sweeping in with my own infantry to hopefully sweep away the bedraggled survivors during the late game.
It didn't exactly pan out that way due to some frankly brutal rolling.

TURN 1
As part of the set up I deployed half my army opting for the MMG teams, the priest, the air observer and the Mortar and subsequently putting them on Ambush as the order dice came out. The Priest didn't have to wait long as a German unit entered the board and headed straight up the central road directly in the view of the Priest and it's waiting Howitzer. With a thunderous roar the Priest began its sermon and following a series of high rolling the German unit was no more. On the right flank an infantry unit bedded down behind some sandbags and fired a volley of shots at another German unit only felling a single soldier. In response the German sniper stationed in the house fired a single shot and the US soldier armed with a BAR fell into the dirt. As other US and German units moved onto the field the air observer spotted a second axis unit moving towards the bridge and radioed for an airstrike.

TURN 2
The next turn commenced with a the majority of the German forces looking skyward (any unit with 12" of an airstrike takes D3-1 pin counters due to the panic of seeing the plane coming in) and with no flak to help proceedings Jack decided to put the unit into a "Down" position and have his men hit the deck to halve the number of hits taken. Unfortunately a ground attack fighter had found its way to the battlefield and in a hail of cannon and rocket fire reduced the target to a smoking crater. Once again US and German units began to move forward with a German unit on the left flank triggering one of the MMG's to use its ambush putting a pin on the unit but no casualties. The subsequent round of return fire caused one of the gun crew to sprawl into the dust of the ruins they had occupied. The German sniper drew a bead to the air observer skulking at the rear of the battlefield and fired only for the round to go astray and miss. The threat to my FAO was enough to cause the mortar crew to begin ranging in on the snipers position missing with their first shot. The US unit sheltering in the sandbags, mindful of the sniper that had picked off one of their number failed their order check and decided to remain "down" in cover. The approaching German unit attempted to press the advantage and fired a salvo of rifle shots which failed to find their mark. The German engineers braved a run into the open to close the distance to the approaching squads to deploy their flame throwers but this again put them in the view of the FAO who once again radioed for airborne assistance. The German mortar attempted to land a shell on my priest but the shell fell a distance away.

TURN 3
And so we moved into turn 3 it became increasing obvious that the heavy losses the Germans had sustained were going to be a factor as it meant that more of my units could now focus on the survivors and it was about to get worse. Engine screaming the Ground attack fighter came round for a second pass (I felt bad at this point and let Jack roll for what type of aircraft came in) the Engineers were cast to the four winds and a smattering of pins all round. My Priest gunned it's engine and moved away from the Germans Mortar fire and rolled further down the road in front of it.
The Mortar found its aim and landed a shell on the sniper killing both of the deadly team, the squad in the sandbags fired stood and fired at the German squad in front of them killing another man, they were then joined by a 2nd squad who poured more fire onto the squad causing enough casualties to force a panic test that the surviving German failed and fled. The fallschirmjäger squad (and last surciving infantry squad) near the bridge once again fired on my MMG but failed to hit them.
My engineers advanced onto the bridge whilst my last squad advanced and fired at the last remaining fallschirmjäger squad causing a pin but no casualties as did my MMG. The German NCO broke cover to fire his SMG at the engineers sitting on the bridge causing a pin and a casualty, for his efforts he was then gunned down by my 2nd MMG.

TURN 4
This led the way for a very short turn 4 as my engineers advanced on the fallschirmjäger squad and unleashed their flamethrower. Despite causing only a single pin and no casualties the sheer terror induced by the rolling jet of flame was enough to convince the beleaguered squad to quit the battlefield (by this time they had 6 pins on them meaning even this veteran squad needed 4 or less on 2D6 in order to not flee which they failed to get). This left Jacks Germans with a medic and a mortar team and it was decided that the day and the crucial bridge had gone to the US invaders.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:31 pm 

Good write-ups, from both sides of the board.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:47 pm 
Donor

Thanks dude!! This game was no way near as close as the first game (I realise I haven't done a battle report for that yet). In all honesty the airstrikes and the howitzer did the majority of the heavy lifting. It's no secret to say that in the next game I'm planning on trying to do without the Forward Air Observer. I don't want it to become a crutch that I constantly rely on (also it's only a matter of time until I roll a 1!)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:17 pm 
Donor

My list was-

Vet 2nd lt

2 FJ Squads- 6 assault rifles, 1 has panzerfaust.

1 FJ squad- 8 rifle.

1 heer veteran engineer squad- 4 smg, flame thrower and loader

Sniper

Medium mortar.

Medic

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 43 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next