BlackPowder - French

Post subject: Re: Falling back to Riga-The Minsk Retreat
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:08 pm 
Noise Maker

Medals: 2
League Champion (1)
KO Cup (1)
My overview of this game.
From a players point of view it was a very interesting scenario having not seen this kind of thing tried before it was a very fresh idea, my problems were that I had a trickle of troops all the time and felt my troops on the board were never enough of a threat to Gazzas advancing SS, yeah my trucks were racing away but the rule changes made it very scary as one good rifle shot I lose a truck and I was gonna need to take out some of Gazzas squads not an easy task. The changes made during the game would have made a huge difference from the start so ultimately from a players point of view I feel it needs to be replayed to get a true result. All that said it was great fun and if it was to be replayed I believe we have both learnt alot from it that we would change as players from the off.

From a writers point of view, this is the type of game I dream about, yeah I had to change a lot to try and sort some problems but I think it hit the cinematic feel and fun we were looking for.
These are the things I changed,
first off it became very apparent that the trucks would just move with the first dice I pulled out, so to stop this, as I felt it lessened the game to just have the trucks move immediately and the change would increased the urgency on each side to either shoot at or get the trucks away asap, I used a 3rd die colour just for the trucks thus they could only be activated if one of the truck die came out.

Secondly it was obvious the distance I expected the trucks to cover was massive in game terms, the game was going to run for 12+ turns if I left the preset sections in place so I reduced it by half meaning the game would last around 6 turns so normal length. As a quick fix for soviet troops on the lost sections I just added a dice roll to see what sections that were left they came in on.

The last change I made was on the dice the trucks rolled when leaving the board into a fresh section I increased the variable distance to 4d6 from 2d6, I felt 2d6 was just not enough, this may change if Gazzas force was more motorised but that would have to be tested.

Some major changes but I was surprised it even nearly worked at all to be honest. I loved the chance to try such a out of the box idea and that we both enjoyed it to the extent we did with the changes its ready for us to reuse at a later date. Cheers Gazza and Chris for the game.

BlackPowder - French

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 3   [ 32 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3