Change font size
It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:23 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 3   [ 35 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Each Blood Soaked Step - Dunaburg.
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 11:02 pm 
Friendly

Have to echo the thoughts on the swamp & road, too restrictive. The game really began once all the SS were past the swamp - so felt like a turn wasted. Board length was good but swamps were a nice idea just the wrong time & place perhaps (or an overly masochistic SS commander ;). Road could have benefited from being just a clear road - tempt the SS into Storming down in the hopes of getting to the bridge past some inevitable ambushes. In the end it's movment restriction forced play to the into woods.

The goal was very acheivable IF the demo team didnt make their rolls and come on when they did...

The game was immensely enjoyable, great sence of urgency needing some brave decisions to get down that table, perhaps some stupid ones were made wearing the mask of bravery ;) leading to neeless losses - but they were great to see play out.

Fantastic troop choice on the Russian side compounded by some great stall & hold tactics by the secondary ruski commander made those woods Coventry on earth.

Bolt Action - Finnish
Shadows of Brimstone

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 11:02 am 
Friendly

lots of love H3ll gets turned into Coventry... apt.

Bolt Action - Finnish
Shadows of Brimstone

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:15 am 
Friendly

Here is the post for Gazza.

Bolt Action - Finnish
Shadows of Brimstone

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:41 pm 
Friendly

Taken from a post war journal by a Gypsy survivor:

My family, the Romani people have been persecuted by both sides of this conflict for as long as anyone can remember. When the war broke out, one side wanted to wipe us out and the other after generations of abuse & hatred wanted me to fight for them. Instead we fled into the dense woods hoping to keep out of everyone’s way and avoid the conflict. We thought we would be safe in this far in Russia – we were mistaken.

We were out near the bridge in a hide we had been using for a few weeks – we spotted a few Russian soldiers looking worse for wear and stumbling hurriedly up the road and across the bridge. They were drenched and exhausted, must have come through the marshland. No sooner had they disappeared from sight a whole platoon surged into the woods and took up position.

My brother made to make a run for it, I held his arm fast - sure we'd be seen and gunned down. I could suddenly feel the thrum of mounted troops through my bones from across the river but that suddenly ceased. My brother motioned towards the bridge, cavalry had left their horses and crossed the bridge to take up position behind the hillside we had our hide dug into.

What followed I hope to never see the likes of again - sheer wanton slaughter and loss of life. Both sides taking heavy losses. Faces twisted into demonic visages as the brutal woodland fighting got under way. This was no place for humanity. I watched transfixed, my brother burying himself deep as possible in the hide.

When it seemed the battle had moved past us we decided to make a break for our caravans down stream. The earth suddenly and without warning bellowed, both of us thrown to the ground by the shockwave of a massive exoplosion, the groans of twisted metal rang out as the remenants of the bridge fell in it's death throes.

Over the course of the war I witnessed many more skirmishes and battles - none as brutal or harrowing as those scenes I saw in the woods that day.

Bolt Action - Finnish
Shadows of Brimstone

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:15 pm 
Noise Maker

Medals: 2
League Champion (1)
KO Cup (1)
Well its been a while and a lots happened personally, but I will try to give the games writer overview to add a little bit.
This time Gazza and Chris had a lot more input than previously and I think it reflects on what an exciting piece we ended up with. Although the Soviets seemed to have an easier mission I think the ask for soviets was bang on, the German ask was possibly slightly to high, lets keep in mind that if the bridge didn't go up the Germans would have won on victory points.
My overall opinion is that the board could maybe be slightly smaller and visual range possible reduced to 6 inches instead of 12, but the Germans didn't rush forward as fast as they needed to and the Soviet army selection was a lot more efficient again, and it proved critical across the scenario.
I have found in the past that with campaigns and linked scenarios that a themed army based around a certain set up struggles against a more flexible higher options force overall and to be honest it should. I think the last two battles (even though Gazza got an amazing draw previously) have reflected this.

As I think has been said the games keep getting better and more enjoyable, which is the over all target.
Thanks as always Gazza and Chris, I hope you all enjoyed reading it.

BlackPowder - French

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 3   [ 35 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3