Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 35 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Each Blood Soaked Step - Dunaburg.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:46 pm 
Blood Bowl Bounties Coordinator

June 30th 1941 and Riga has fallen, with hardly a shot fired. All along the Dvina river German forces are seizing bridges and crossing that vast expanse of water, eager to push on into Latvia and Estonia and there ultimate target, Leningrad.

But what of the Russian 48th Rifle Division? Initially they escaped the unwanted attentions of the Totenkopf to indeed link up with the 23rd Tank Division as planned. At first, each attack by the SS was repelled but slowly and surely the elite German fighters pushed the Red Army troops back. The order was made to pull all troops back to the Dvina bridge east of Dunaburg for 2 notable reasons. The first was that it was one of the very few structures able to take the weight of any form of armour and secondly, with Smolensk looking likely to fall within days a safe corridor for retreating Russian troops would be needed.

Sadly however the Russian command had not taken into account the terrain and all Russian armour was now trapped in Marshland, unable to move the crews had scuttled there vehicles and joined there comrades, taking up defensive positions in the woodland that was either side of the mud track that led to the bridge. All along the journey Ju87 'Stuka's' had harried the defenders, causing many casualties.

The Russians waited in the fading light as the muffled sound of German voices could slowly be heard......

Post subject: Re: Each Blood Soaked Step - Dunaburg.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:07 pm 

My force pick with reasons for choices will be going up soon.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:47 pm 
Noise Maker

Medals: 2
League Champion (1)
KO Cup (1)
OK gazza and I have decided to try and structure these reports better for all your enjoyment.

BlackPowder - French

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:19 pm 
Noise Maker

League Champion (1)
KO Cup (1)
Scenario 3: Dvina Division

Axis forces: German, 1941 Operation Barbarossa. Free Stuka war plane.
Allied forces: Soviet, 1941 June Barbarossa! Free unit of 8 assault engineers(see special rules)

Rules:
Bolt action war game rules, Bolt action war planes rules.

Battlefield: 4ft wide and 5ft long, countryside, starting from edge A, 1ft of marshland, then 3ft of dense woodland and last 1ft river with a bridge a the centre of the 4ft width. A mud road runs from the marshland through the woods and over the bridge crossing the river linking edge A and edge B.

Set up: The Allied player must select 300+ points of his force as the “Retreating Block” the rest of the force must be set up anywhere between the river and the marshland (they may not be in the marshland or the opposite side of the river) These troops can be set up using the “hidden set up” rules.

Objective: The Allied player must retreat and blow up the bridge, The Axis must advance and take the bridge without it being destroyed.

First Turn:
The Axis player can move his/her units on to the board from table edge A, (the short board edge at the marsh end of the board) the units can be given a run or advance order.

Game Duration: Game last for 6 turns with a normal roll for another turn after that has elapsed.

Scenario rules:
Marsh sections: Impassable (Each individual base)
River: Impassable except over the bridge.
Woodland: Visibility range 12 inch only, War planes may not fire into woodland
Mud road: Advance only
Bridge has four detonation points
Mortars: due to the nature of the wood, mortars may fire blind in to the woodland, in order to do this the player selects a fire action and chooses any point within range of the mortar and inside the woodland, then roll to hit needing 4+ to continue. If successfully roll 2d6 and a random direction dice move the hit location accordingly it will hit any squads with a model within an inch of that spot.

Axis Special rules:

War planes

Allied special rules:

Woodsmen: Due to the extra skill the soviet forces showed when fighting in woodland for this game they always (even below 6 inch range) get to roll for closing fire before hand to hand combat.

Assault engineers: 1 NCO + 7 men, Veteran, all armed with Smg's and detonators.
Delayed: The engineers are on the way but its hard to tell when they will turn up. Each turn (until they arrive) when activated roll for the engineers to see if they arrive, if passed the engineers may move on to the battlefield via edge B (nearest the bridge) using an advance or run action. The engineers turn up on turn 2 on a d6 roll of 5+ if failed roll on the following turn, turn 3 on 4+, turn 4 on 3+, turn 5 on 2+ and automatically on turn 6.

Detonators: Detonators may be use by the unit on detonation points, when the squad is touching the piece of scenery which has detonation points they may take a down action and attempt to lay detonators by rolling a d6 for each detonation point, on a roll of 4+ the detonator has been placed, all 4 detonator need to be placed before the engineers can advance of the bridge and blow it. The placement roll is modified by two things, For each pin counter on the engineers -1 and for each previous turn you have been placing detonators turn +1.
You may not roll more dice for detonation places than you have men in the squad.
When all detonators have been placed the engineers can take an advance action in the next turn and they will blow the bridge at the end of the turn.

Eg: My 8 engineers are on the bridge and I set them to down and roll 4d6(one for each detonation point) I roll a 2,3,5 and 6, there for two detonators have been prepared, next turn I will have to go down again and roll for the other two hopefully it will be on a 3+ as long as they get no pins.

Victory:At the end of the game calculate which side has won by adding up the victory points, if one player scores more than 2 victory points more than the other they have won, otherwise it is a draw.
Both players get 1 victory points for each enemy unit destroyed.
The Allied player gets 1 victory points for each unit that leaves board edge which is the opposite side of the bridge after the assault engineers have arrived any leaving prior to that will be classed as destroyed.
The Axis player gets 1 victory point for each unit within 6 inchs of the bridge at the end of the game.

If the Allied player has successfully blown the bridge they automatically win the game.
If the Axis player gets any unit to cross the bridge to the opposite side of the river they automatically win the game.
In the unlikely event that both these factors have occurred the soviets claim victory.

BlackPowder - French

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:24 am 
Donor

Really interesting mission.

Will be good to see how this plays out.

So long as Russia loses

Black Powder: AWI Redcoats
Guildball: Fishermen
Saga: Vikings

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:29 am 
Blood Bowl Commissioner

Medals: 1
League Champion (1)
Excellent Scenario post Rayner. Straight from the Gaming magazines by the 'Pros'

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:35 pm 

So the details of the scenario with additional house-rules has been posted up, I guess it's time to post up an army list.

With no vehicles allowed it was obviously going to be a very troop heavy list and I was left hoping I had enough models. As always it was time to start at the top:

First up was a Veteran Second Lieutenant with an additional 'retinue' of a further 2 veterans. An auto-include for most of my forces and after his heroics in the last game a deserved choice. 91pts

Next up was the bulk of my troops, and that meant 3 full squads of SS. All with Fanatic and an SMG armed NCO plus LMG team these guys were going to take a lot of punishment as they tried to get to the bridge, so wounding them on 5's and 6's was much needed. If I had them I would probably have taken a 4th squad, oh well. 549pts

What I did do to get more bodies on the board was proxy (borrow) 10 of Rayner's unpainted Russians to use as inferior Heer troops. As ever I do have a less than glamorous role for these guys and I don't expect many, if any of them, to reach the bridge. All are armed with rifles even the NCO. 100pts

When you play Germans never leave home without your trusty MMG team. Better still, when you go off a theatre selector force you can take 2, so I've done this and at 5 shots each these guys are going to have to earn there points as they cover the squads charging into the woods. Ivan will have the advantage through most of the game so every shot needs to count, the woodland battles are going to be brutal. 65pts per team, 130pts.

My final two picks are each 65pts. Firstly we have a medium mortar team, yes I don't rate them but in this scenario it could be quite fun and characterful. I'm not expecting great things however and don't expect it to be a game winner.

However, if I can protect my Flamethrower team long enough for it to get into range of the woodland hid Russians then things could heat up a tad :wink: .

A final point is that, although I have a free Stuka it's actual effectiveness may depend on when the engineers turn up as it is unable to fire at anything hidden under the woodland canopy.

So there you have it, an army made up of 90% Veterans taking on a 70% dug-in force and having to race against time before the bridge is blown.

As Kirk would say, "sounds like fun!"

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:54 pm 
Noise Maker

League Champion (1)
KO Cup (1)
Photo of gazzas force. Note that "the plastic russians" are now 10 heer troops.

BlackPowder - French

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:06 am 
Noise Maker

League Champion (1)
KO Cup (1)
With the rules set and knowing the terrain I set about making a force, no vehicles meant I'd have a lot of men even with Gazza getting 100 more points to spend.
My plan was simple enough, get men between the Germans and the bridge, hopefully slowly falling back if I needed those emergency victory points at the end, get everything crossed and hope the engineers turned up and got the job done asap.

I had to take 2 squads (LMG or NKVD) and a Lieutenant to for fill the selector, knowing full well Gazza wouldn't be able to play to the mission until all NKVD were dead, I knew these would be a distraction as well as the best troops my grubby mits could grab. I gave them all Submachine guns and the fanatic skill. I figured Submachine guns (12" range) would be good with the 12" vision range in the wood plus the extra dice shooting and hand to hand, very useful when I always get closing fire. Fanatic I knew Gazza always takes and by me taking it it meant that any hand to hand would be a hard slog down to the very last man, plus it gets to Gazza :wink:

My second squad was an LMG team which has to be inexperienced, not great :( , I decided that 11 man squad with the NCO using a Submachine gun would be best, I chose to leave out the LMG due to the vision range in the woods I felt I would sooner have the men.

I just took a Junior Lieutenant as my leader to save on points, I later added a second man to help him as I had a few spare at the end, but it did mean I could bring out the Soviet flag which again would get up Gazzas nose :mrgreen:

This was where some freedom opened up, knowing we were going to have some interesting mortar rules I took the one I had painted (medium mortar) and chucked a spotter with it, not sure it will be worth it but time will tell.
The Stuka had all the hallmarks of being a massive problem, I took my HMG team as I could gun shield and plinth mount to get the flak skill, I might luck out and bring it down. I also took a medium machine gun team with a gun shield as a last gun line if any SS managed to reach the bridge side of the woods.

I still had loads of points left and with no vehicles and no need for anti tank gear, I returned to the infantry. As I sat looking at my choices, NKVD, LMG or Cavalry squads I realised I had another squad of NKVD waiting for paint.....out they came giving me a second squad of 10 this time 9 with rifles and the NCO had a Submachine gun all had fanatic.
I started to look at the Cavalry squad which I had originally written off as I already had lots to paint, but I then realised they could be dismounted and have submachine guns, it was another must have,plus I had models painted that could be used for them. Their mounts left east of the river as they proceed on foot to help my heroic Russians and win the day 8) .
That left me looking at what I had painted mixed with what I could take .....2 more LMG squads, 11 men, no LMG but NCO has a submachine gun it had to be. :roll:
With the inclusion of my free rifle man squad and the assault engineers (more to paint :cry: ) it was sorted and Mother Russia's finest were about to beat the Hun back to Berlin ......or so I hoped :mrgreen:

BlackPowder - French

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:58 pm 
Noise Maker

League Champion (1)
KO Cup (1)
The soviet force

As you can see I have some painting to do. Blue hats are the NKVD.

BlackPowder - French

Last edited by Ragnar The Destroyer on Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:01 am 
Noise Maker

League Champion (1)
KO Cup (1)
The battlefield
Obviously I still have a road to build, the pieces of wool represent where the road will be. The blank area at the marsh end isn't being used.

BlackPowder - French

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:47 am 
Noise Maker

League Champion (1)
KO Cup (1)
So I had to set up, 300+ points set up in the marsh. I hadn't thought about this when I planned my army and I was very perturbed to realise the 3 LMG squads only came to 240pts ....balls. So after going though the maths I ended up using the NKVD squad with rifles and 2 LMG squads knowing I could end up with all 3 destroyed in hand to hand in turn one. If I got the dice they were all gonna move first.
I put the NKVD on the left as I hoped this would make Gazza split his forces, then counterattack when I had got into the woods.

I knew these LMG teams were just filler and bait but I hoped at least one could make it to the cover of the woods.

My attention then leapt to the opposite end of the board, my mortar was going in the sand bags and the HMG team were going to sit and protect the bridge from the accursed Stuka, the MMG team found a nice spot with view down the road and across the tree line.
Because I had developed some kind of great movie plot for my cavalry squad I placed them near the bridge to suggest they had "just arrived" probably not the best tactic choice but I justified it to myself that they could plug a hole and get to where was best quickly.

The remaining NKVD,LMG and the lieutenant I put in the middle of the woods ready to give them everything we had when they entered the wood.

This left my free rifle squad which I put in the small wooded area on the left, Gazza would forget that they could become regulars and bolster the NKVD's position....... or they could run off and expose my flank. This is Russia....the bridge will be blown sky high by then anyway ....or it better be :evil:
So with that I popped a beer and stood waiting for the door bell to ring and the dirty hun leader to arrive, I could smell victory, the little soviet with the flag caught my eye, this one was ours.

BlackPowder - French

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:45 pm 

Turn 1. The Totenkopf get bogged down.

At the beginning of the turn Rayner had 3 units exposed who were all pulling back through the boggy marshland to reach the relative safety of the treeline. All transport, the precious trucks and armoured might of Russian tank, were useless in this environment, either sinking or blown to pieces by marauding Stuka dive-bombers. The first 3 order dice out would be hugely important to the fate of these units.

Dice 1. A red army dice saw the NKVD run for cover, a frustrating sight as this unit caught out in the open would be a massive scalp at the beginning of the battle.

Dice 2. Grey was the colour and an SS unit charged on, engaging one of the fleeing LMG squads and wiping it out in brutal hand to hand combat.

Dice 3. Red saw the final LMG unit reach the trees meaning no more easy kills for the SS, from now on each one would have to be earned the hard way.

The shooting started in earnest with the very next dice as another SS unit entered play, firing into the retreating LMG unit they caused 5 casualties, a pin and a test which was passed. As more Germans entered the marshland 3 of the NKVD were slain as it appeared the Totenkopf had been having shooting lessons.

Despite the impressive shooting the Russians held there nerve, the HMG team, MMG team and Mortar team all settling down into 'ambush' mode. The Red Army cavalry advanced ready to counter-attack while the tree-hidden LMG squad advanced to stem the SS advance after seeing half there comrades gunned down. To advance on the bridge things were going to get up close and personal, fast.

All the 3rd's resources were now on the board, there advance slowed by the quagmire of the marshes, a bottle-neck now developing as they began a slow advance for the trees. Right into the sights of the Russian troops!

The Russian Lieutenant moved forward with his trusty flag-man in attendance, the SS were about to pay dearly.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:24 pm 
Noise Maker

League Champion (1)
KO Cup (1)
turn 1 pics

SS formations enter the board

Nkvd take some hits as reinforcements push up.

Cavalry squad move up with in sight of the brave Soviet standard bearer.

LMG team make the cover having taken heavy losses.

BlackPowder - French

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:42 pm 

Turn 2. Death From Above.

The early part of the turn was soaked in Red Army disappointment as the Engineers failed to show up at the start of Turn 2 (Rayner having rolled a 1) closely followed by the decimated LMG squad failing to pass there orders to fire and thus going into 'down' mode. This had dire repercussions for the Russian unit as the full strength Heer squad charged them, wiping them out to a man. Once again the German units were proving brutally efficient whenever things got up close and personal.

This event had set off a whole host of German activity along the front as SS units began to advance in earnest. MMG crews repositioned themselves in the woods while being covered by there cousins who kept the NKVD's heads down with accurate covering fire. An SS unit also took advantage, running to the woods to begin to close ever closer with there Russian enemies. But the real threat now came from above as a Ju87 Stuka divebomber swept across the Russian positions, Ivan's HMG ineffective against the warplane as it's MMG's opened up on the Mortar crew, shredding him as his hesitation cost him dearly.

Retaliation is always brutal however, the counter-charging LMG squad not giving the still blood-soaked Heer troops anytime to consolidate and the German unit was destroyed as the Russians proved equally adept at hand-to-hand combat. Orders were shouted and another LMG unit held it's position in 'ambush' mode allowing the NKVD to retreat behind the 'free' rifle unit which had slowly advanced ready to meet the SS unit's head-on.

With Russian and German units now closing ground with each other Turn 3 would likely see yet more violent hand-to-hand combat. Also, the SS Flamethrower team was now advancing into an area where the Russians cover wouldn't help them. Like previous conflicts, both Lieutenants began advancing on each others positions.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 35 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next