Change font size
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:35 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]
 Post subject: Operation Silver Fox.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:47 pm 
Blood Bowl Bounties Coordinator

So after a stop/start ending to Dunaburg, it was now time to turn our attention to other areas of Operation Barbarossa, and with one of our number eager to try out there newly painted Finnish army the obvious choice seemed to be the conflict in the Arctic Circle.

Thus, Operation Silver Fox was decided upon. For the history buffs this was (and I will try to be as accurate with the facts as I can) the Germans attempt at capturing the strategic port of Murmansk. It would be made up of 3 parts:

Operation Reindeer - German forces attack from Norway to take the area around Petsamo.

This would lead into the simultaneous attacks of Operation Platinum Fox and Operation Arctic Fox to capture Murmansk.

Chris would be leading his Finns into battle for the 1st time and he would have overall control, the SS would be present but only in limited numbers, most notably the 6th SS Mountain Division Nord.

Now all that remains is for Rayner to come up with some suitable missions.

Post subject: Re: Operation Silver Fox.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:12 pm 
Friendly

Bolt Action - Finnish
Shadows of Brimstone

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:51 pm 
Noise Maker

Medals: 2
League Champion (1)
KO Cup (1)
Scenario 1: Salla be damned

Axis forces:
German, 1941 Operation Barbarossa.
And/or Finland 1941 June-Dec the Continuation war
Allied forces: Soviet, 1941 June Barbarossa

Rules: Bolt action war game rules

Battlefield: 4ft wide and 4ft long, snow covered countryside, village with multiple buildings, One two story building as the town hall set on edge B.

Set up: The Allied player sets up all his/her troops any where on the battlefield. These troops can be set up using the “hidden set up” rules.

Objective: The Axis player must control the town hall by the end of the game.

First Turn:The Axis player can move his/her first wave units on to the board from table edge A (opposite the town hall edge), the units can be given a run or advance order. They must place half of their units in the first wave the rest become reserves.

Game Duration: Game last for 6 turns with a normal roll for another turn after that has elapsed.

Scenario rules:
No tanks, trucks,tows or armoured cars may be used due to the surface snow.

Weather:At the start of turn 2 roll a d8 1-2 the weather moves down one on the weather table, 3-6 the weather stays the same 7-8 the weather moves up one on the weather table. If the weather is blizzard or chill and an up or down is rolled respectively the weather remains a blizzard or chill. The weather on turn 1 is Clear.

Weather Table
Up
Blizzard: Only advance, visual range 12”
Snow: Only Advance
Clear. No effect
Sun glare: -1 on all shots to hit
Chill: Before firing with any squad or vehicle roll a d6, on a roll of a 1 the squad or vehicle cannot fire.
Down

Axis Special rules:

Reserves: Units that are not part of the first wave are classed as reserves.
Respawn: Any squad which is totally destroyed moves to reserves and may test to return to the battlefield as normal reserves do.

Allied special rules:

Hidden set up

Victory:At the end of the game if the Axis player controls the Town hall they claim victory
If the town hall is still contested or in allied control its is an Allied victory.

BlackPowder - French

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:51 pm 

SS 6th Division Nord force for 'Salla Be Damned'.

Due to this being a Finnish Operation, only a small number of SS are involved in the battle. Thus my 17 man :shock: force is the following:

2nd Lieutenant with additional veteran.

Squad 1 = 8 men (NCO with SMG, an LMG, rest with rifles and the whole squad has Fanatic).

Squad 2 = 7 men (exactly the same as above except for one less rifleman).

Total = 396pts.

With such a small number of troops any casualty is going to hurt, so my plan is to utilise every piece of cover at my disposal until I can work my squads into suitable charge positions. After that I'm hoping 'Fanatic' will edge things in my favour during close-combat against what is a very well organised and dug-in enemy.

Battle report to follow.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:41 pm 

Salla Be Damned.

Turn 1.

After it's fall to Soviet forces during the Winter War, Salla had changed very little. What was plainly obvious to the Finnish and German forces eager to wrestle the town back from Russian hands was that they would find a well dug-in enemy that would be difficult to remove. So, quickly deciding on a more stealthy approach, the Finnish commander deployed his Spotters who moved with speed and agility across the snow covered ground before taking vantage points in building and spinney on the very outskirts of the town.

Stealth however is not a Finnish strongpoint and after deploying his Mortar, the Finnish Commander plonked his Howitzer down in the middle of the board as a sign of intent. At this bold gesture, most of the safety catches were released from most of the Red Army's weaponry as Rayner's force went 'Ambush' crazy. The exceptions being the cavalry who adopted a 'Down' attitude.

The rest of the Finnish force went for a 'reserved' thing and it was left to the SS to push up the RH side of the board and into the spinney where the Finnish Spotter resided, and to then fire in anger the first shots of the game at the building hiding Free Rifle Squad. All shots were ineffective however, and as the central building squad fired at the Finn's Howitzer, causing a pin, the turn ended.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:52 pm 

So, not an action packed start to the mission from either side. To be honest, having to bring on our troops was always going to hamper our shooting capability on the first turn and with how dug-in Rayners force is, it was going to take some exceptional shooting to cause any casualties.

Already I can see that the game is going to be a case of getting in and having a go up close and personal. Luckily our squads can respawn which should stand our squads in good stead (especially the SS). Already i'm conscious of the fact that we have played a turn and hardly got into the game, and time is a luxury we may not have (we cannot afford to delay our assault on the town hall).

The weather may yet have a part to play as that could be very changeable and any movement hampering could have disastrous repercussions for our chances of success. Yes it's a slow burner but when the action starts I think it will be swift and brutal.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:25 pm 

Turn 2.

Snow began to fall on the battlefield as the second turn began, thus causing the Axis advance to slightly stutter. The SS force was reduced to a slow advance along the extreme RH side of the board, hugging the tree line(all running now impossible due to the weather conditions). Again their shooting proved ineffective against the central building dominating this early part of the battle, the hidden Russian unit within it well protected.

The Finnish commander however had a)had enough, and b)come prepared. Suddenly the board began to fill up with ski troops, the weather not even registering as even a minor annoyance. The Sniper team also found a nice spot to start targeting the central building but the first shot was hurried and spat wooden splinters from one of the huts window-frames. The mortar team also struggled to find their range as did the howitzer team, the snow causing targeting issues even to the Scandinavians.

The Red Army were also found wanting when it came to shooting as Turn 2 came and went, not 1 casualty had been caused and the Russians were looking fairly comfortable, safely snug in their buildings and wooden huts. With the weather causing movement issues it was apparent that the Axis forces were now going to have to make up for lost time, suddenly caution was not a game winning option.

We decided to roll for the weather for turn 3 before we packed it in for the night, but that will be revealed for the beginning of Turn 3's write-up.

Pictures will follow.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:50 am 
Friendly

Turn 1 Pics:

Bolt Action - Finnish
Shadows of Brimstone

Last edited by irollones on Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:05 pm 
Friendly

Turn 2 pics:

Bolt Action - Finnish
Shadows of Brimstone

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:12 pm 
Donor

Medals: 3
League Champion (1)
KO Cup (1)
The Man with No Name (1)
Nicely done :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:54 pm 
Noise Maker

Medals: 2
League Champion (1)
KO Cup (1)
How i got it to snow in my games room is a special secret. ;)

So my force, 500pts wasn't a lot against 1000 points that can respawn if destroyed.
After thinking about it at work I decided that with low points it was tactics,tactics, tactics. So I created a plan then took based round my plan. I had to hold the town hall to win, now I knew some troops would make it through mass fire so I had to do two things, thin them out before they got there and then give them a good whacking in combat when they did.
So I took an NKVD squad of 7, armed with smg's and with fanatic, which I placed on the ground floor of the town hall ready to take the charge.
For the top floor I took another NKVD squad of 7 armed with rifles and one guy armed with a lmg for a range attack as the enemy approached. Also on the second floor I placed a medic and the Junior lieutenant keeping my men alive and morale high. I then took a cavalry squad of 7 to charge any troops that got in a dangerous range of the town hall, my thinking being they can charge from cover with their high combat dice.
After that it was a case of using my free rifle squad to be as annoyingly as possible so I put them in the building in the middle of the battle field thus they could harass stuff as it can on. I still had points left and bought an Lmg squad of 11 all with rifles hoping they could put some more bullets into the killing field in front of the town hall. I was still left with enough points for an MMG or a Light howitzer, I took the howitzer in the hope that the extra pin counters would slow all advances.
I had a plan, I had my troops, I just needed the weather to hold them up.
Come get it filthy Jerry!

BlackPowder - French

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]