Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]

How do you rate this game (Only vote if you have played it)?
5/5 - Very Good 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
4/5 - Good 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
3/5 - Average 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
2/5 - Disappointing 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
1/5 - Rubbish 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 3
 Post subject: Mag-Blast
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:05 pm 
Motor Mouth

Medals: 1
Dungeonbowl Champion (1)
This is one of Fantasy Flights range of "Mini-Games" whcih includes Citadels, Red November and Chaos Marauders.

At £20 they are all priced a little higher than I had hoped however having played two of the other games in this range and enjoyed them I wasnt expecting this to be poor.

The initial premise is that you are a starfleet captain in command of your fleet of ships. You will face off against the other captains who each commands their own fleet.

After randomly drawing ships (Which seemed to already sway the game in one persons favour) play proceeds around the circle with each player getting to move his fleet and fire his guns (Randomly drawn cards from a deck).

This led us to another issue (Besides the initial balance problem) once the first person has fired a weapon at someone that person then becomes the target for everyone else. By the time 3 of us had completed our turns the 3rd person was dead and out of the game with nothing he could have done to stop it.

The game then became a case of which 2 of the remaining 3 players will gang up on the 3rd player and kill him before finally moving on to each other. It felt very much like we were just going through the motions of playing the cards we had randomly drawn with no real decision making.

Its a real shame because the cards are very well made with bright cartoony pictures on each one.

The only thing that I hope is that because the rulebook is badly written we have somehow misunderstood something somewhere and not played the game correctly. I think it will take another turn to finally make a decsion about this but its not something that I am looking forward to.

Post subject: Re: Mag-Blast
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:38 pm 
Unfortunately some of that range of mini-boxes are really quite sub-par in terms of rules/gameplay...do you remember the Aye Dark Overlord fandango? It was far too easily broken and it looks like Mag-blast is similar in that sense - your place in the turn order dictates whether you win or lose.

Citadels was OK and I think I remember you saying Red November wasn't bad. I haven't tried Myth yet which is another of theirs. Chaos Marauders is a reprint of an old game so I don't really include it. But 2 out of 5 of their range being a bit sucky is a bad record :(

Post subject: Re: Mag-Blast
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:34 pm 
Motor Mouth

Mag-blast is a reprint too. This is the third edition of the game.

Looking at the BGG ratings (which I must start doing before buying games from now on) it seems that some people love the game, others think it is good for kids (the rule about making a silly noise when you play a blast for example).

I hope too that the game isn't as bad as we first thought, but I'm inclined to believe that it is too random to be able to play with any real level of strategy, and this unbalances the game too much as Lee described. Especially since there are games that use randomness as a feature, that you can still try to play strategically (Fluxx specifically, others I'm sure), or that don't simply wipe out one player before they've really begun.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]