Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]
 Post subject: Breaking a World Record
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:22 pm 
Motor Mouth

I don't have a bucket list, but if I did I imagine I'd have "break a world record" on it somewhere.

The current record for Longest Board Game Marathon as recognised by GWR is 50 hours set in Canada by a group playing Settlers of Catan.

There was a more recent attempt made at the record, but I don't know if this has been officialy sanctioned or recognised yet. This group played Last Night on Earth for 51h7min.

So, the general gist of this is that I want to break a world record (and I'm sure some of you do too) and I reckon this is one we can manage. I've already contacted GWR to get the ball rolling and to get their guidance on what needs to be done to ensure the record is acceptable. This will take another 4-6 weeks before they get round to contacting me again.

In the meantime we should probably start thinking about when, where, who, what and why. This of course means we need dates (a long weekend), a venue (that can be available for a full weekend), who is going to be involved (please only volunteer if you can cope in people's company when on limited or no sleep), what game we're going to use (my first thought is Arkham Horror, mainly because my copy doesn't get played enough, but also because it's such a long game that we won't need to keep setting up so often!) and if we're going to make this some sort of charity affair or just do it to say we did it.

Attachments:
59107 - board game playing - longest time (marathon).pdf [94.63 KiB]
Downloaded 70 times

Last edited by bigmaddrongo on Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject: Re: Breaking a World Record
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:24 pm 
I think that making it a charity fundraiser would be a better reason to do it at all. It is also a better motivator for people to get involved and stick it out, and would create more of an exciting build up to the event as people collect sponsorship signatures etc.

With regards choosing a charity, everyone has their own ideas about what fundraising movements are worthwhile. Therefore it would probably be fairest to let each participant choose a charity, then either split the proceeds of the event equally amongst them, or give each one the amount raised individually by the participant that chose it.

Perhaps as an extra motivator, prizes are awarded to those who participated and completed the record, and a special prize is given to the person who raised the most money.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:11 pm 
Vocal Minority

Top idea! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:18 pm 
Donor

Medals: 3
League Champion (1)
KO Cup (1)
The Man with No Name (1)
I'm already a world record holder! :) (largest ever online poker tournament)

But I'm game for another, does it need to be a single game or can it be a mix? The new BB Team Manager game is out soon ;)

Anything that has a bit of depth to it would probably work fine, it could get mighty dull if it's all luck.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:14 pm 
Donor

Sounds cool, depending on the game choice- I'm in

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=52.264479,-1.175740

Black Powder: AWI Redcoats
Guildball: Fishermen
Saga: Vikings

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:50 pm 
Motor Mouth

Helios wrote:
With regards choosing a charity, everyone has their own ideas about what fundraising movements are worthwhile. Therefore it would probably be fairest to let each participant choose a charity, then either split the proceeds of the event equally amongst them, or give each one the amount raised individually by the participant that chose it.

I think a single charity would provide a greater focus for the event, but I'm happy with whatever since I just want to break a record.
TalonBay wrote:
I'm already a world record holder! :) (largest ever online poker tournament)

Hark at him!
TalonBay wrote:
does it need to be a single game or can it be a mix? The new BB Team Manager game is out soon
Still waiting for the guidance from GWR, but the two records that I've seen so far have been all one game (Settlers and LNOE).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:15 pm 
Donor

Medals: 3
League Champion (1)
KO Cup (1)
The Man with No Name (1)
Any more thoughts on this?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:18 pm 
Motor Mouth

Go-go necrothread!

Inspired by the impending launch of Shadow Games and their games centre it occurred to me that the "where" part of my initial post could be answered. They will have dedicated space and a compelling reason to want to get into the press as much as possible and I suspect we could twist their arms to let us use a room for 62 hours or more.

Quote:
The longest marathon playing a board game is 61 hours and 2 minutes, achieved by Brett Carow and Sam Hennemann (both USA), in New York, New York, USA, on 7-9 June 2012.

They played Strat-O-Matic Baseball. During the attempt 116 games were played. They began at 9 am on 7 June 2012 and ended at 10.02 pm on 9 June 2012.

I should still have the guidance notes from GWR from before and I suggest that the first opening weekend (assuming SG could fit us in) could be a set of dates to aim for. Starting on Friday ~10am and running though until after Noon on Sunday.

Still need a suitable game and a set of committed players though.

If not April at SG then there is always the UK Games Expo that runs for three days but this year ends just before a bank holiday for recovery (we need at least 2.5 days now to beat the record). The new venue means that they can keep games rooms open 24 hours, it's air-conditioned and could be used to generate publicity both for the attempt via the Expo and the Expo via the attempt.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:37 pm 
Still up for it. Not sure whether something really damn long like Arkham Horror would be best, or something repeatable but essentially short, like Catan or Ticket to Ride...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:43 pm 
Motor Mouth

Medals: 1
Dungeonbowl Champion (1)
I know that I am simply not capable of playing the same game for that kind of time. Makes no difference, short or long. After 7 Hours of Dungeonbowl I am ruined, never mind longer than that.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:44 pm 
Motor Mouth

This is one of my concerns. I'm thinking we should choose a game that I don't mind never playing again for the rest of my entire life.

For those who want to be involved but don't want to actually play a game for nearly three days, we will need two witnesses at all times and they can work in four hour shifts (I think this is covered in the document I've attached to my first post). Also people to help us all stay awake and bring us food and drink.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]