Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 21 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: 7 Wonders? Any Good
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:47 pm 
Donor

I talked to Pete about Pandemic last night and while it does look very good it is limited on players and I am ideally looking for a Seven Player game.

Board Game Geek Rates 7 Wonders as the game to get and I see this was played in 2010 when I searched the forum...

Any views on this game?

Looking for a game to take to friends for Christmas and has to be female friendly....

Post subject: Re: 7 Wonders? Any Good
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:53 pm 
Motor Mouth

Medals: 1
Dungeonbowl Champion (1)
As "deck building" or drafting games go it is one of the better ones (Im not really a fan of the genre) Whilst with enough sets it will effectively play any number of people you only ever "Really" play the people either side of you so for me the best games come in the form of 4 players (You can use the resources of the players either side of you) so that there is only one person who you cant directly affect.

Not sure of any other 7 player family friendly games though.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:02 pm 
Donor

Thanks Lee, I had not clocked you are effectively only playing with the people either side of you....

Also "with enough Sets" does that mean you need more sets to get to 7 players or does it come with enough for 7 players out of the box? (I will double check board game geek)

I might have to settle for a 5 player game.....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:34 pm 
I rate BSG but it might cap at 6. Last night on earth might be able to scale up? Certainly more chips n dips style, as is Bang. Female friendly is a hard term to qualify :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:56 pm 
Donor

"Bang" we have and that is fun and lite. Looking for a bit more depth. (A good fun game)

Not sure what BSG is?

Last night on earth looks OK, not sure how it rates to Zombicide that is another I am contemplating as it was good fun when we played a few weeks back...

For me, "Female Friendly" are games that don't involve War and attacking one another. Zombiecide kinda gets in as "Female Friendly" as you are all working together....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:59 pm 
Speech Writer

A touch of evil can play up to 8? (also plays teams) however I've never played that many before and it's not really a festive game?
Been fun when I've played it in the past and is newbie friendly and so far wife friendly.
Can be played co-op or competitive.
As with all frog games the art work is a bit cheesy.

If there is any interest in star wars (I'm lucky that my house is mad for that franchise) then maybe the star wars vs tie fighter game? It's light and not too confrontational as the down time seems slim so far. Problem is getting people to accept it to the table? Plus price for a ship each...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:06 pm 
Donor

PeteHere wrote:
A touch of evil can play up to 8? (also plays teams) however I've never played that many before and it's not really a festive game?
Been fun when I've played it in the past and is newbie friendly and so far wife friendly.
Can be played co-op or competitive.
As with all frog games the art work is a bit cheesy.

Might be worth exploring, but I am leaning to Zombiecide as a purchase I will make for myself. As it is US game I will buy when in America later this year. Might have a look at ATOE if I see it at a games shop.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:09 pm 
Donor

PeteHere wrote:
If there is any interest in star wars (I'm lucky that my house is mad for that franchise) then maybe the star wars vs tie fighter game? It's light and not too confrontational as the down time seems slim so far. Problem is getting people to accept it to the table? Plus price for a ship each...

Not one for my better half but something I will be getting if Steve sorts out his order!!!

I have played it three times so far and been good fun each time. The large multiplayer we did at Warwick was fun and showed some different elements of play. One of the Warwick chaps is doing a DeathStar game on Monday and has made a 3D Death Star Trench and turrets. If you can get down to the Hod (where they did Bloodbowl Tourney) on Monday night there should be a few players...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:26 am 
Motor Mouth

I like 7 Wonders, but as stated it isn't entirely a seven player game since you only directly interact with those either side of (although drafting does mean you can have some effect further round, but not much).

LNOE is quite light and fun to play but occasionally suffers from the winner being "known" several rounds from the end if one or other team gets a bad set of card draws or a lucky set of dice.; I think this tops out at six though (two zombie players, four heroes)

BSG (Battlestar Galactica) does suit a large group but I'm not sure how female-friendly it is if those females aren't geeks.

For non-gamer types and for Christmas-type fun I like Cranium. Not at all hardcore, just loads of fun with clay, impressions and brain teasers.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:59 pm 
Donor

Thank you for all advice I am off to Warfare in Reading on Saturday so will have a look to see if I can see any of the suggestions.

Cheers

MJ

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:51 pm 
Speech Writer

MJ1 wrote:
...One of the Warwick chaps is doing a DeathStar game on Monday and has made a 3D Death Star Trench and turrets. If you can get down to the Hod (where they did Bloodbowl Tourney) on Monday night there should be a few players...

Cool, thanks for the heads up!
Not sure if I'll be off work in time however do you have a contact I can email/call to arrange and get directions etc?

Any idea if it's a turn up and play with their figs or bring mine? If mine points value and sorry if it's a stupid question do you mark your bits in group play (never played mix match with others kit in star wars or wings of war)? Only shared mine and must admit OCD when it comes to people eating and greasy fingers etc...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:05 pm 
Donor

http://z14.invisionfree.com/Wellesbourn ... topic=2318

This is the thread and I reckon Andy will be down there from around 8pm onwards.

The Hod is here: - http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=CV31+2L ... 16&iwloc=A

CV31 2LT

There will be plenty of ships as Andy has loads but I am sure you can bring your own and use those and I think we work out who has used what. I am down to play another system but if there is time I will join in.

No need to commit and just turn up to the pub. The basement where we meet is door on right down stairs before you get into the bar...

Hope that helps?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:54 am 
Speech Writer

Brilliant. Hopefully be there tonight then :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:36 am 
Donor

PeteHere wrote:
Brilliant. Hopefully be there tonight then :)

Hi Pete, glad you made it down.

Andy has big dreams and some times he does not always scale the dreams to what can be achieved in one night.

A great play test and with the tweaks we suggested to him I think it will be a stonking game, especially if he can get boards fixed to table to stop moving around.

Hope you enjoyed it and I certainly had fun rolling for Luke and his ultimate victory, how perfect was that....

I now need to do my research and come up with a Kreig style campaign game for Star Wars and see how that can work in the club setting. I should make some progress on that by end of January I hope...

Cheers

MJ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:02 pm 
Speech Writer

Yep it was great to have made it. You've got a nice friendly group in the club with some interesting games in play.

Trial by fire with two 218 point teams :o but it was fun and interesting to see the effect of lined up fire. The Y-Wings should have had at least one ion cannon though.
I think on a smaller scale the battle would be brilliant and yes can't believe (although thematically happy) that Luke saved the day on the last round of the game :D
Cheers for the head up and def. looking forward to a campaign style game if poss.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 21 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next