Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ]
 Post subject: Single Player
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 3:23 am 
Motor Mouth

Medals: 1
Dungeonbowl Champion (1)
As I haven't yet found a gaming group yet, I am looking for some single player games that have the scope for more players when I find them.

Obviously Agricola is a good example of this. It stands well as a single player challenge however it also works well as a multi-player game. Can anyone else think of games that fit the mould of being both good single player and multi-player games?

Post subject: Re: Single Player
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:50 pm 
Donor

League Champion (1)
Mage Knight (by Vlaada Chvatil of Through the Ages, Dungeon Lords and Space Alert) is excellent (and probably at its best) as a single player game.

It's an RPG style game with a clever hand-management system for movement and actions. It's puzzley (as ALL one player games inherently are) but with enough layers and options so as not to feel linear.

If you can get hold of a copy I would recommend it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:51 am 
Motor Mouth

Dungeonbowl Champion (1)
Mage Knight ordered for delivery on Monday.

Posted from my phone. Please excuse my bad spelling.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:04 pm 
Speech Writer

Mage knight is very good as is the expansion.

Highly recommend gears of war board game which I feel is a more accessible solo/multiplayer game (Mage knight is a bit unfair on other players if you are more experienced plus can go on a bit).

Death Angel works really well solo and with two. Not played with more. It's cheap and a small box game so a no brainer! Bit hard to win though...

Nuklear winter 68 has also done well as a solo chit pull easy wargame and has been good one/two player (can play to three).

Lord of the rings lcg has also been a winner!

Finally a touch of evil has been fun too. I like Arkham horror more but can only get others to play ATOE and its a quicker game.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:10 pm 
Speech Writer

Also since working away more I started playing londons burning on vassal. It's a bit of fun after you get into it. Like an easy thunderbolt apache leader. Initially I thought it was meh... Then got into it so tracked down a shrink wrapped copy in Munich.

To be honest you could print your own if you want a physical version (there's a guy on eBay selling the scans). It also has two player rules although not had a chance to play them yet.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:01 pm 
Motor Mouth

KO Cup (1)
http://www.thewarstore.com/product82971.html

It's not out yet, but may be of some interest to you (It's from Wyrd.)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:31 am 
Speech Writer

Pandemic, and by extension probably any co-op' , plays well solo.

darrell
Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2 (So please excuse the spelling.)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:54 am 
Speech Writer

Pandemic is good solo (and good multiplayer. We played it last night with the brink expansion).

Lord of the rings board game is also good esp with friends and foes expansion. Good solo or with friends. Not too hard to pick up the rules and the game leads itself a little. Blinking hard to win sometimes though!

Ghost stories is also great however when playing with others can be a little difficult to get them into the theme/story. Also very hard to win!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:12 am 
Motor Mouth

Dungeonbowl Champion (1)
Really liked pandemic but for me on the brink was essential and once we found the bio terrorist variant it ceased to be a single player game. There is no going back.

Ghost stories suffered from being tough to learn. Too much unnecessary Chinese terminology meant that after an hour of the Rulebook it was relegated to the cupboard.

Never played Lotr but with expansions like friends and foes it sounds more multiplayer than solo

Posted from my phone. Please excuse my bad spelling.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:32 pm 
Speech Writer

Never played bio-terrorist maybe will give it a crack sometime soon...cheers for that!

Lotr board game expansion friends and foes is really the other half of the game. It adds a different action that results in a foe card being added to a line of foes plus another couple of locations and the chance to skip locations. After the number of foes gets too high you lose although you can fight the foes. Adds an extra dimension of the game. I really enjoy it however its prob because I enjoy the events and it tells me a story as I play (more so with the lotr lcg however I have to be in the mood to build a deck prior to play with that one). I've also tracked down the battlegrounds expansion which looks good and the sauron expansion that makes it competitive rather than cooperative. Haven't played those expansions yet though.

I know what you mean with ghost stories. I did the same until I had it on the iPad. Now love the physical game but its a hard sell to either my better half or my not really board gamer friends.

Can't remember if I mentioned onirim earlier? Good quick solo that plays two pretty well as we'll plus cheap.

If I could only buy three it would be in order:
Death angel (plus expansions if you feel flush and like the base game) - reasonably short to play. Deadly but achievable fairly easy to teach. Can help newbies however its so deadly it's best to run a game or two so they learn then get serious later. This is one of the most played solo games due to portability.

Lord of the rings lcg (base to start but better with two base and then really shines with adventure packs) - great stories if you like thematic or a bit of a puzzler if your into deck construction. Easy to teach and theme is an easy sell to most. Easy to help newbies without taking over.

Mage knight (if you like then the expansion makes solo better) - great puzzle game. Can tell a story if you use your imagination however it's pretty thin. Long game and hard to teach. If competitive then totally not fair on newbie.

Gears of war would be the fourth... I know I know I said three...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:00 pm 
Speech Writer

You found a gaming group yet?

If not then try the COIN series games. I've been away a fair bit so haven't been to the club and wanted some solo play goodness.

Picked up Cuba Libre. Wasn't sure about the theme but wanted an easier version of this game series before fire in the lake comes out this year.

It has rules to play solo against the other factions or you can just play all the sides and see how it pans out.

I've only played it 'four handed' so far aka all sides and its great and better than the likes of Labyrinth if you are solo.

Just started playing it PBEM using the VASSAL module and having a blast four player (although as the guys are in USA, Germany and Greece it's taking some time between turns).

The rules and playbook are on the GMT site and the VASSAL module works well if you want to try it out first.

Heck maybe we could get a game together with people on this forum?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:04 pm 
Motor Mouth

KO Cup (1)
Chainsaw warrior is single player and is great, if old :D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:46 pm 
Vocal Minority

GamesVaultSteve wrote:
Chainsaw warrior is single player and is great, if old :D

And available as an iPhone app too! :wink: :D