Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ]
 Post subject: Memoir'44 or Axis & Allies
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:25 pm 
Hello folks,

Just wondering if anyone had any views or experience of either the two above games? They look interesting from what I've seen on browsing the web and was wondering if it was worthwhile pursuing the investigations any further.

Regards,

John.

Post subject: Re: Memoir'44 or Axis & Allies
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:44 am 
Donor

Hi John,

I have M44 and it is very good IMO.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/10630 Ranked 40

Not Played Axis and Allies but from what I gather another good game.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/98 Ranked 634.

Check them out at Board Game Geek

I would be more than happy to play M44 against you on a Thursday night if we can get a table.

Mondays I tend to be down the Warwickshire club but a Thursday every now and then would be good.

If you want to play before you buy I can try and meet up with you soon after Christmas.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:10 pm 
Hi MJ,

Sort of combining two threads into one with both Xfire and the above subject. I would like to play either M'44 or Xfire in the New Year. Although I'm thoroughly enjoying FoW, I'm looking at the other two as alternatives due to them hopefully requiring less "resources" (such as time etc). Also, I enjoyed the Xfire demo and the game itself has a lot of strong points to commend itself to me. I believe this to be the case with both M'44 and A&A, the only perceived problem with A&A is that it takes a few hours to play whereas I would prefer "a fit into an evening" couple of hours max type of game. So yes, I would like to take you up on the offer and in the first instance would like to look at the M'44 game :) if that would be okay at a time that would mutually suit both? I'd hope that the basic M'44 boxed set has plenty of mileage in it as I don't wish to have to buy expansions for it too soon? Also, if you can track a copy of Xfire down for me, it would be appreciated (if it's not impertinent to ask, what would the cost roughly be)? Keep us posted on your plans for both (M'44 and Xfire) as I'd certainly be interested. Just wondering if we should start a new thread and in which section so that it's easily acessible to find and follow?

All the best and we talk more hopefully on these subjects soon,

John.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:16 pm 
johnd1 wrote:
Also, if you can track a copy of Xfire down for me, it would be appreciated (if it's not impertinent to ask, what would the cost roughly be)?

Erm....hi John...Nobby here...i could let you have a copy for ...oooh say £50....

.....oh and Mark I would need another one of those £12 copies then!!!!! lots of love!!! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:16 pm 
Okay, okay :lots of love: , but even you'd admit that the game is worth pursuing and it's a shame that it's out of print just now. Guess I make the cheque out to your wife and when she asks what it's for....? (Ps I think I've overstretched the 40th birthday reason on FoW so no fifty quid as it got spent on Scotch and FoW :oops: ).

Think on amigo!

All the best,

John.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:27 am 
Donor

M44 is dead easy to play but hard to master and several games can be played in one evening. A&A seesm to be a longer game and I guess you would have to really know the system to get it done in one night. This BTW is just my view on it as I have not played it...

XFire I have a search on E-bay and I am in the Yahoo Group for it. (anyone can joinb the group). If another copy comes up I don't know what the price will be. The one I got for Nobby was £12 if I remember correctly? I just asked him to pay what I had paid for it.

M44 and Xfrie again the New Year for certain. The basic box set has enough legs on it to run long enough. I have yet to play all the scenarios and they have more on the web.

I ran a tourney a year or two ago for it and if we had enough interest I reckon it would be dead easy to run another Saturday event / tourney if we had enough sets for players to use.

:)

I will be back in the area from the 29th Dec and open to offers of games that week. No plans as yet for New Year so could be around the whole week. Will the shop be open next week?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:16 am 
Motor Mouth

daventryvaulters.co.uk wrote:
Wednesday 24 December: 10am - 4pm
Christmas Day & Boxing Day: CLOSED
Saturday 27 December: 9.30am - 5.30pm
Sunday 28 December: CLOSED
Wednesday 31 December: 10am - 5pm
New Years Day: CLOSED

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:14 am 
Donor

Is Monday the 29th and Tuesday 30th normal times? I guess it is implied in the response?

Cheers

MJ

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:17 am 
Motor Mouth

Indeed it is.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:45 am 
Hello all,

With a bit of help from Santa, I ended up going for Memoir '44, so thanks to all (both staff and MJ) for comments and advice. Look forward to getting the games in now so we just need to arrange a time when it's mutually convenient :) .

All the best,

John.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:11 pm 
Ha - Debbie & I bought Con and Luke Memoir '44 for Xmas and getting my first game in now against Luke!!! See you on the battlefield!!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:25 pm 
Donor

If there is gaming on Monday (29th) night at the shop I would be more than happy to play M44.

Nobby I hope it went down well and was not too like Battlelore?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:44 pm 
MJ1 wrote:
If there is gaming on Monday (29th) night at the shop I would be more than happy to play M44.

Nobby I hope it went down well and was not too like Battlelore?

Went down very well with Luke....Con was too engrossed in making his WH40k models to show more than a passing "that looks cool will have to try that sometime!"....

....which is OK. I have some plans for board games which will have reverse proportions of appeal in the future.

Thanks for all of you advice to Debbie - she thinks you are tops!!! :P

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:31 pm 
Sorry MJ,

I can't make it tonight as I've family commitments / gathering tonight :( . Seems like there's enough other people interested in M'44 that games will be played soon enough (just hoping that'll be me as well :? :lots of love: getting some spare time for it). Hopefully game soon when we're both free.

All the best,

John.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:02 pm 
Donor

OK,

We can sort out another date when you are free.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ]