Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 3   [ 33 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: New Meetup Group Discussion
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:25 am 
Donor

Medals: 1
League Champion (1)
An excellent suggestion, sir, but with two minor downfalls... Firstly, there are no local games shops anymore. Secondly, there are no local games shops anymore... Now I realise this is the same problem, but it was such a fundamental one, I thought it was worth me mentioning it twice.

In all seriousness Paul, the audience for the grown up games club buys all their stuff online now anyway. Games clubs that do exist (Northampton and Cov are closest I think) both rely on kids (magic, warhammerz etc) for their turnover.

The people we need are hidden on the interwebs!

In addition to the meetup, I gave re plugged us on boardgamegeek and am promoting to other local groups personally.

OnlineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:24 am 
Vocal Minority

Link us into your little metal dog show review thingy then or do some guide videos on youtube for these prerelease games you keep getting, linking to us. or approach heresy/reaper minitures asking if they would promote the club on their websites pointing out the all the positive reviews on the forum, Better to be proactive with these things. And im sure 80% of purchases are done online but of the remaining 20% id guess that 10% are the sort of people who enjoy the interaction of a good old shopping experience, the sort of people that might actually travel to a club like ours.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:24 am 
Motor Mouth

I'm not going to be so quick to attack the use of Meetup as we haven't really given it a chance to work. It has worked for other groups and it's raison d'être is to help groups find members and members find groups. Looking at the membership of the FnD meetup compared to what it was when I used to go, it is clearly working in some cases.

That's not to say that other options can't be pursued, nor that the only person to pursue them has to be Stuart. If you think flyers in shops is a good idea Paul then by all means run up some flyers with basic info on them and put them in shops. There are also sites like the UK Role Players that list clubs (I think we're on there but it might be slightly out of date information). Many game forums have sections for people to post info about their clubs. If you're a member of another forum that you think might have interested players then post about us. Lee is already drumming up interest for Season IX at TFF. I've posted our info at Cov Gamers (haven't followed it up for ages though as most of the players there are Cov-based and seem unwilling to travel, it was like talking to a brick wall).

Essentially, this club is all of ours and if we want to increase attendance then it's up to all of us. If we all brought one friend who is new to the club to one of the clubs before the end of the year that would be another 20+ potential regulars.

Paul, why not do a series of gaming-based pieces of artwork? Then while publicising those you can entice people to come and find us. I'm picturing space marines and meeples done in your signature style, I'm liking it.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 3   [ 33 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3