Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 29 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Superhero Movies.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:06 pm 
Noise Maker

I don't like superhero movies much - not enough to own any, at least.
But as the question in the OP was to give a top 5 favourite superhero OR graphic novel films, I'll have a stab at it.
    Akira
    Blade
    Flash Gordon
    Sin City

Dishonourable mentions for least favourite comic book adaptions to:
    Alien vs Predator
    Judge Dredd (Stallone's version)
    League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
    Spawn
    Tank Girl
(There are worse comic book / superhero movies, but these deserve special vilification for being awful adaptions of generally good comics / characters.)

EDIT - RE: Ron Perlman - yes, he's turned in some type-cast performances, but I think that's because he's not being stretched by his directors. You should check out his talents in The Name of the Rose and The City of Lost Children - both very good performances, quite unlike the rest of his roles.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:14 pm 
Motor Mouth

Medals: 1
Dungeonbowl Champion (1)
Conversation this evening brought up Mystery Men

Posted from my phone. Please excuse my bad spelling.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:15 pm 
I vote for Mystery Men

Edit; New Judge Dredd was alright too

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:20 pm 
Noise Maker

I didn't put MM in my list cause I didn't think it fit the bill: it's not a comic adaption (AFAIK), and they're not really superheroes, are they?

But if it's allowed to count, I'll put it in place of Blade on my faves list.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:27 pm 
See I read it as superhero and /or graphic novel.

Also I think you'll find he IS invisible when noone looks, he uses his power ;-P

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:16 pm 
sparkydave wrote:
Avengers .... Puny god ...

Yes, this has to be the best bit of that film. :lots of love:
I liked it - didn't think it was quite as 'omg-most-awesome-best-thing-EVAR' that a lot of people seemed to be claiming at the time, but very enjoyable.

I have also enjoyed Christopher Nolan's Batman films - they fell down here and there, but otherwise good portrayals.

I thought the first two X-Men movies were pretty good, though hubby disagrees strongly, so I haven't got to watch them in ages. :P

Adaptations that didn't work so well for me:
Watchmen, while good in a couple of places, was overall a horrendous disappointment. I felt it missed the point and failed to capture the essence of what made the novel good. It felt like a pale imitation throughout, that made some very basic errors in film making. I wanted to get Final Cut Pro out and edit it differently in almost every scene, and shake some of the actors by the shoulders. Also, characters who grew older should have been played by older actors, not the young actors plastered in bad age makeup. *sigh*

V for Vendetta wasn't bad when I first saw it having not read the novel. However, when I went back and read it, I saw a multitude of changes that in hindsight ended up telling a rather different story. I can kind of see why Alan Moore rejects film adaptations of his stuff, because they so far just haven't managed to get anything quite right with them. Not terrible films in themselves, but certainly not telling the same story, with the same level of grittyness and engagement with its audience.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:19 pm 
Blood Bowl Bounties Coordinator

Think your being a bit harsh on Watchmen there, young Helios. Yes, the ending was nothing like the book but that would have just left people walking out of the cinema scratching their heads.

I agree with your views on V for Vendetta, but as a stand alone movie I think it caught the atmosphere of the book fairly well.

Cant believe I forgot 300, that is a great film (might have to revise my list :wink: ). I can do that right?

Forgot the new Dredd film as well which after the initial first 15mins when I thought 'oh no! this is gonna be as bad as the Stallone one' turned out to be very good, obviously imo.

@Adam - Cant believe you like Daredevil, hang your head in shame. Next you'll be saying Jonah Hex was quite good :wink: :lots of love: .

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:37 pm 
gazza wrote:
Think your being a bit harsh on Watchmen there, young Helios. Yes, the ending was nothing like the book but that would have just left people walking out of the cinema scratching their heads.

I think the change of ending was actually a good call, as I agree it is a bit mad in the book. I still liked it, but yeah, in terms of film making it wouldn't have worked. I just don't understand why they were able to make that good decision for the purposes of the film, and yet so much of the rest of it has basic pacing and delivery problems.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:44 pm 
Noise Maker

Watchmen wasn't bad because it strayed from the book - it was when it *should* have strayed but didn't that it failed.
Too many scenes were clearly just storyboarded straight from the page, panel for panel, without thinking about pace or emphasis. That may work for Frank Miller, whose whole style aims for that cinematic pace, but it doesn't work when page layouts and symmetry are used for extra drama like they are in the watchmen book.
Plus, the violence way way over the top and unrealistic - and glorified. Not what Moore was after.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:06 pm 
Donor

gazza wrote:
Forgot the new Dredd film as well which after the initial first 15mins when I thought 'oh no! this is gonna be as bad as the Stallone one' turned out to be very good, obviously imo.

@Adam - Cant believe you like Daredevil, hang your head in shame. Next you'll be saying Jonah Hex was quite good :wink: :lots of love: .

I forgot Dredd as well! Excellent adaption and I'm still hopeful for a sequel given its DVD sales performance. The fan made series is looking ok as well.
As for Jonah Hex, I think you'll find that its not me who mounts a spirited defence of Mr Hex.... name no names eh Gazza?

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:25 pm 
Vocal Minority

+1 for Dredd too. As 're-imaginings' go it wasn't half bad. Also forgot honourable mentions for Road to Perdition and Men In Black, both of which actually far out-shone the source material!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:16 am 
Noise Maker

Medals: 2
League Champion (1)
KO Cup (1)
I don't read graphic novels tbh. Prefer to read books, I've never really got them. My imagination makes a better story anyway.

But as films I thought
300 and Blade were great

Transformers sucked!

BlackPowder - French

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:33 am 
Motor Mouth

Medals: 1
KO Cup (1)
Ragnar The Destroyer wrote:
I don't read graphic novels tbh. Prefer to read books, I've never really got them. My imagination makes a better story anyway.

I don't read books, can never really stick with them. My imagination is rubbish and I prefer to see things drawn out for me. :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:14 pm 
Vocal Minority

I work in a library so spend all day surrounded by thousands of the bloody things! :lots of love:

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 29 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2