Change font size
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:53 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 18 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: New Game Store and Gaming Centre Opening - Rugby U.K.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:24 pm 
A new retail and on-line game store, with attached gaming centre will be opening in Rugby, U.K. on 1st April 2013.

The retail store will be stocking a large range of board games, roleplaying games, collectible card games, miniatures and game accessories. In addition to the retail store, the attached gaming centre has four rooms, a large room ideal for wargaming, two smaller rooms and an atmospheric cellar room. The gaming centre will be running numerous events including D&D Encounters, Pathfinder Society, its own D&D 3.5 Living game, roleplaying weekends, Magic tournaments, historical wargame days, board game tournaments and Warhammer Fantasy and 40k tournaments, to name a few.

To enable the gaming centre to be fully equipped we have set up a kickstarter project to assist with the funding. You can view the project here http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/124 ... ames-store . Please take the time to watch the video and read our story which will provide you with all of the details on what our aim is. For those of you who choose to invest and help us on our way, a huge thank you.

Please feel free to contact us with any questions or queries at shadowgamesstore@gmail.com

Thanks
Hamish and Neill

Post subject: Re: New Game Store and Gaming Centre Opening - Rugby U.K.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:46 pm 
Motor Mouth

Thrilled to see a new local store and I hope I'm wrong about Rugby still being too small to support a venture like this long-term.

I'm interested to know what made you choose Kickstarter, or in fact crowdfunding in general, to achieve this? My concern would be that this was chosen after more traditional methods had been exhausted. I know that there is a trend for banks to not lend to SMEs at the moment, but as a potential "investor" I have to wonder if any banks/investors you approached did not feel this was a suitable risk and if I'm going to get a return on my investment (i.e. am I actually going to get a place to play at for a year with my annual membership).

I will be watching your progress with interest though and hope that even if you do not achieve your funding goals for this renovation you can make this venture a success.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:19 pm 
Motor Mouth

Medals: 1
Dungeonbowl Champion (1)
Indeed, I am with Pete on this one. Whilst I genuinely hope that you open and your shop is a success I cant see how you came up with your figures for Kickstarter.

Population of Rugby 100,000 (ish with bias in your favour).
Assuming 10% of them are gamers who would use your shop (again bias in your favour, I unfortunately think this % would be much lower) = Remaining people, 10,000
Assuming 10% of those people Donate/invest anything (again bias in your favour, I think this % is much closer to 1%) = Remaining people, 1,000.

This makes your average donation £10 for which investors/donators would essentially receive nothing (a £10 voucher)

If they go up to £20 they actually are likely to receive less than their donation in return (£10 Voucher and access to an event priced £5-£10).

I am concerned that the pricing of these key pledges will simply mean you have no chance of hitting the £10,000 target you have set yourself and thus you will receive nothing. It is a capitalistic world that we live in and people are not very often likely to donate based on pure good will, they want something in return for their hard earned money,

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:32 pm 
Noise Maker

Medals: 2
League Champion (1)
KO Cup (1)
Gotta agree with Lee and Pete.
Where in Rugby? Plus concerns that joto a well established shop already in Rugby with its biggest benefit being they own the building they trade from thus reducing the turn over needed.

BlackPowder - French

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:56 pm 
Noise Maker

Medals: 2
League Champion (1)
KO Cup (1)
As has just been pointed out to me, what paints will you be selling as I will purchase them from the shop, I avoid gw ones if I can.

BlackPowder - French

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:47 pm 
From the website, Rayner, it looks like it's either the Town Fryer site or the Army Recruitment shop, since those are the vacant buildings in that area of Church Street. Opposite HSBC. Nice little corner to be in, I guess - should get some good foot traffic, not far from plenty of on-street parking or the multi-storey in the daytime... ten minute yomp from the train station might make it accessible for Coventry folks, and it's only twenty minutes in the car from Dav.

As for paints and other fiddly bits, like you say there's already Joto for that, but thankfully there shouldn't be much other direct competition. Joto is airfix and trains and jigsaws for the most part. And it's the other end of town. There's a possibility for some synergy there, cross-promoting between the hobbyist community and the gamer community. A little bit, at least. The Twynholms are nice people, I should think they'd be open to chatting about what they do and don't sell.

I'm looking forward to this shop. I miss the Vault, and if this place ends up being anything like the Vault, I'll be there. I'm just hoping that the Kickstarter funds really are only for the little extras like vending machines and coffee and sofas for the game space (as the KS video indicates) and that not getting that goal won't prevent the actual shop from opening.

I've emailed these guys and offered a helping hand should it be needed - be it painting or shifting furniture or standing around making the place look busy for the first couple of weeks, or whatever. I kinda hope you guys will do the same. We did it for Steve because we knew and liked Steve, and (I at least) don't know either of these two... but I didn't know Steve before I walked into the shop either. *shrug*

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:49 pm 
Donor

Good luck guys! Hopefully see you soon!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Black Powder: AWI Redcoats
Guildball: Fishermen
Saga: Vikings

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:52 pm 
Donor

Are there many warmahordes players over in rugby? Would love somewhere to regularly get games in!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:35 am 
Motor Mouth

Jack, isn't it your job to make there be more players?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:55 am 
Thanks for all of your support and kind words. Ill try to answer all of the points you have raised as there are some good ones made.

Why choose kickstarter ? There is a good reason for this and it's not because of the lack of funding from elsewhere. The kickstarter project, if successful will provide us with about 15% of our actual start up funding, the rest of which is already in place, so it's not a desperation measure. What we wanted to achieve with this was a buy in from gamers in the area to give them a feeling that they had contributed to the opening of an FLGS and Gaming Centre. We hope that doing this will help to create a sense of partnership with the gaming community, because without gamers frequenting the store and gaming centre, the project will not work, no matter how much passing trade we generate.

How did we come up with the figures ? This one was difficult as kickstarter does not allow you to offer the kind of rewards that a shop would like to offer, however we have tried to get around this by wording the rewards in a specific way. We had the rewards reviewed by close to twenty people, and modified them from our original offerings. Therefore the £10 level grants you a mention on the investor wall on the website and a game (or minis or accessories) of your choice up to the value of £10. At the £20 level you will receive everything in the £10 level with one years goblin membership worth £10 and an event voucher worth up to £20 if you opt for a two day event. Interestingly enough I calculated last night that If everyone who had sent us their support so far had pledged £10 we would be 49% to our funding target in just four days. So at least the kickstarter project has proved to us that there are a large number of gamers who want to see an FLGS and gaming centre in the area, which backs up our research.

Where abouts in Rugby ? It's the old army careers office. It's well located, easy transport links and has four good sized rooms in addition to the retail space.

What paints will you be stocking ? Currently we will be stocking Vallejo and Citadel, though if there are any other brands you would like to see us stock then please let us know.

Warmachines / hordes players ? We have been contacted by 6 players already so will be committing to stocking Privateer Press products and running some gaming days and tournaments for Hordes and Warmachine.

Joto Hobbies ? Joto stock less than 5% of the lines that we will be stocking so will not be direct competition for most of our products. I cannot talk about any direct relation with Joto as yet as it is not something we had considered, but will do so now it's been mentioned, thanks.

Hopefully that answers your questions and concerns and should you have any more then please do not hesitate to contact us. All of this feedback is very welcome and only goes to reinforce that there is definitely room for an FLGS in Rugby.

Thanks again
Hamish and Neill

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:27 am 
Motor Mouth

Thank you for your reply, there's clearly some hard work gone into this whole venture which is always a promising sign.

I suggest that you plan to include a Blood Bowl tournament in your offerings as there may then be players here who may be more interested in backing knowing they get the chance to use an event voucher for a weekend tournament, especially one which they don't have to travel far for.

You mention there will be an investor wall on your website - if this were an actual physical wall in the shop or the games centre then that would be far cooler.

Also, and I realise that this may not be set in stone and may even be likely to change later, but what are your opening hours likely to be? How often will the games centre, if not the whole shop, be open late in the evening? Our club meets on a Wednesday night but there's always room for another night of board games in the week.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:52 am 
Thanks for your response.

Some good ideas in here that we both like. We love the idea of having an investor wall in the shop, as well as on the website, so we will be doing this, the kickstarter reward will be modified accordingly.

As for Blood Bowl, yes we will add this to our list of tournaments to run, how often would you like to see these tournaments run ?

Our current planned opening hours for the retail store are as follows :

Mon. Closed
Tues 11-7
Weds 11-9
Thurs 11-9
Fri 11-9
Sat 9-7
Sun 11-5

The games centre will also be open during the above times, though on some days will be open for longer depending on the events being run. As an example if a regular group wants to use the gaming centre from 6 to 11 in the evening that's fine.

Thanks again
Neill and Hamish

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:08 am 
Motor Mouth

I think that sanctioned BB is limited to one tournament per organiser per year anyway, and the BB calendar is often very full across the country so an annual tournament would probably suffice. Either that or speak to gamesvaultsteve and maybe arrange for the annual Vault Bowl tournament to be hosted at the games centre.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:50 am 
Motor Mouth

Medals: 1
KO Cup (1)
bigmaddrongo wrote:
...maybe arrange for the annual Vault Bowl tournament to be hosted at the games centre.

Nice idea Peter.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:35 pm 
Donor

I'm running a participation game/demo here on the opening weekend! If anyone wants to bust out their toys for a mega battle gimme a shout!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 18 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next