Change font size
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:28 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]
 Post subject: Dice and you
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:17 pm 
Noise Maker

I'm doing some research for an article on randomisation in RPGs, but it'll equally apply to tabletop and board games - and I'd like the help of the good folk of the Vault! (Bad folk too, I'm not fussy.)

I've got some inter-related questions that I'd like to get ans many answers for as possible. Please feel free to elaborate around the topic too!

1. When you roll good numbers (so your character / team / faction succeeds), how do you feel?
  2. When you roll badly (so your character / team / faction fails), how do you feel?
  3. For opposed rolls, if you roll well, but the GM / opponent rolls better (so your character / team / faction fails), how do you feel?
  4. For opposed rolls, when the GM / opponent rolls poorly but you roll better (so your character / team / faction succeeds), how do you feel?
  5. Do you feel better about success when you roll the dice, or when the GM / opponent rolls the dice?
  6. Do you feel worse about failure when you roll the dice, or when the GM / opponent rolls?

Thanks!

Last edited by Altair-the-Vexed on Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Dice and you
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:35 pm 
Donor

• When you roll good numbers (so your character / team / faction succeeds), how do you feel?

Certainly a slight sense of elation. Nowt beats seeing all of the highest number come up.
  • When you roll badly (so your character / team / faction fails), how do you feel?

Generally annoyed, but I always try and remind myself that the magical dice gods owe me a big number sooner or later.
  • For opposed rolls, if you roll well, but the GM / opponent rolls better (so your character / team / faction fails), how do you feel?

It always gets a me when someone succeeds at something they shouldn't do due to rolling a big number (6 in bb,20 in rpg) As above, I r,wind myself the dice gods owe said opponent a 1 sooner or later
  • For opposed rolls, when the GM / opponent rolls poorly but you roll better (so your character / team / faction succeeds), how do you feel?

Positively, although less so than rolling for yourself. To me opposed rolls seem more about luck when compared to single player rolls. I know it is the same, must be a mental thing.
  • Do you feel better about success when you roll the dice, or when the GM / opponent rolls the dice?

This isn't an issue for me, dice roll what they want to no matter who throws it
  • Do you feel worse about failure when you roll the dice, or when the GM / opponent rolls?

This isn't an issue for me, dice roll what they want to no matter who throws it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Black Powder: AWI Redcoats
Guildball: Fishermen
Saga: Vikings

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]