Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 13   [ 189 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Tales from Gaultria - story and discussion thread
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:18 am 
Noise Maker

Here's a thread to chat about what happened in the Pathfinder game. I'll post some key names and points (if no-one else has mentioned them), but you players can keep the story-ball rolling...

Last edited by Altair-the-Vexed on Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Previously on 'The Shieldings of Gaultria'
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:39 am 
Noise Maker

Our wayward 'heroes' are a confusing lot: Pan and Eleanor, fleeing the repercussions of the Whitefalls massacre, took a paying job with an underworld contact - stealing some animatium from the Artificers' Guild in Inverfief and taking it to Al-Zhamou, where Nezh bin Hassam would pay them for their troubles.
Also on this job were the multiple-personality duo, Lu Tse and Tordek (aka Dark 'Andy and Friktion Bern - best not ask...).
Heroically, the thieves battered and slew their way through the guards at the Artificers' Workshop and absconded with the precious animatium to meet with Tewan the halfling and his airship.
Speeding through the mountains, the airship was assailed by a (somewhat inept) team of bounty hunters sent by the Guild. (Let's just gloss over the torture episode, shall we?) The able thieves saw them off and continued into the arrid north.
On arrival at Al-Zhamou, the fugitives found that Nezh was a vampire with some nefarious plan, and they fought him, running away with the stolen animatium after battering the undead into a mist (a rather cohesive mist, but a satisfactory vapour nonetheless).
Agents of the vampire Nezh attacked the sleeping thieves in their tavern beds that night, but once more the 'heroes' killed them satisfactorily, intimitading one of the injured rogues into revealing the secret way into the Coopers' Guild (nudge, nudge) hideout, before killing him too in a dark alley. Electing to return to the vampire's dungeon and eliminate him before he sends more thugs, the ruthless adventurers set off into the trap-filled tavern cellar.

Now read on...

(That's your cue to discuss the last session!)

Post subject: Eleanor's thoughts...
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:16 pm 
Slightly disturbed by the ease with which Tordek the dwarf decided to hussle the helpful rogue into an alley and slay him, Eleanor Howland returns to her room and dons her chain shirt once more. She is soon setting off from the tavern with her companions, that trusty spiked chain ever swinging and clanking about her person, marching confidently back to the warehouses that were the scene of Nezh's unsurprising double-cross a day or so before.

There is one thing on Eleanor's mind as she walks through the crowded, colourful streets of hot, dusty Al Zhamoo; no one plays around with my mind and gets away with it! That vampire has got it coming, and my chain will relish the task.
Oh yeah, and he went back on his deal too, which is pretty poor after what we've been through to get this animatty... manitatty... magic metal stuff here.

All is suspiciously quiet as the 'heroes' once again locate the secret entrance to Nezh's hideout. They follow the unfortunate rogue's instructions, moving through dark passages and strangely shiny, clean chambers. One room in particular seems to have been designed with easy cleaning in mind; Eleanor tries not to spend too much time pondering on its uses, gripping her chain all the tighter in readiness.
That Dwarf seems to know his way around this architecture, anyway. Secret doors are found more or less where the rogue said they would be, and there is the corridor he described with the font containing special water for... walking on water? Something like that. For Eleanor, it is merely yet another strange magical device she doesn't understand, but if it helps her get what she wants, she doesn't really care how it works.
The surface of the water feels like many pillows and blankets under foot, and somewhat unsteadily at first, Eleanor follows the rest of her team through the damp corridors.
The monk Lu Tse gains a sudden urge to get through this hideout and find the vampire as quickly as possible, running this way and that, opening doors, gabbling something about 'Let's rock on! Come on!'. A strange character indeed, although Eleanor can't help but agree that time is getting on, and she too is eager for what one might call 'payback'. Besides, this magic water surely can't be permanent...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:18 pm 
Motor Mouth

Panendithas wrote:
This desert land seems so strange, so different from my home. It appears barren and yet still life holds on, so strange and so beautiful. I only wish I had more time to examine the are but instead I find myself compelled to rid myself of this vampire, this Nezh who has slighted us. It feels wrong to see him walking with his false semblance of life, he must be destroyed for the good of all.

We have resolved to enter the lair of the beast and bring the battle to him! We have extracted some useful information from one of the pitiful rogues that was sent to find us and we now know how to enter the underground stronghold of the Cooper's Guild. I believe that these men are not simple coopers but there may be something more nefarious, but that isn't important right now.

Upon arrival we sidestepped a few traps before locating the secret door that the rogue told us about. Even I had a hard time spotting it, I am only glad that we had a dwarf skilled in the ways of stonework working with us.

The font was just where we had been told and once we had each taken a dose of the water we found ourselves able to walk on the very surface of the water! Below we could see a stagnant, slimy layer that would surely have spelled disaster had we been forced to swim.

Having penetrated the inner sanctum of these "coopers" we were forced into battle but these louts are no match for us. Inside we found a young man locked in a chest. Having been tortured by the knaves he seemed a little worse for wear, but once we had located his missing gear he seemed determined to exact revenge and escape his personal Coventry. The man introduced himself as Jon and he is a man of nature, like myself. How strange that so far from abundant life we two should meet.

It soon became clear that there were more of these rogues hiding out than we first thought, and that their vampire lord had arranged for more interesting defences. Having dispatched a number of the rogues I realised that Lu-Tse was locked in deadly combat with an undead monster, another heresy against life. As I closed in to attack I saw just how close the battle was with both parties looking the worse for wear. However within seconds the creature had slashed us both with its ghastly claws nad I suddenly found myself unable to move. The terror in Lu-Tse's eyes told me that he too was immobilised.

I was certain that I was no longer for this world when Elenor, my constant companion in recent weeks, strode into the room and dispatched the foul creature before rushing back to ensure that we would be undisturbed during our recovery.

Last edited by bigmaddrongo on Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:23 pm 
From the journal of Jon Amraphel:

I had known when I took the job that Greenbichi was not to be trusted. Anyone willing to pay that kind of coin to break up a smuggling ring had to have some ulterior motive, and it didn't take a genius to guess that he was trying to eliminate a competitor. But I took it all the same, because when I'd finished with this lot I could turn around and do the same to Greenbichi's group, armed with more information than I would otherwise have had.

Not that I have anything against smugglers, exactly. Some of them help people to get the things they need at prices they can afford. It's almost a public service. Some of them, on the other hand, aren't so interested in helping others as making coin at whatever cost to others. I figure that the "coopers' guild" and Greenbichi's men are the latter.

The information we had suggested that it was reasonably well manned, but was relying on manpower and generally being out of the public eye for defence, so I got a few men together and we entered the stronghold. It didn't go well.

I'd only taken a few men with me, and I knew them all; far better to have a few good swordarms you can trust than risk having a turncoat in your ranks. We dealt with the few guards on the door easily enough, but that was when our luck ended. Kevik stumbled into a hidden pit, and fell into some green slime that stripped the flesh from his bones. Arren caught crossbow bolt with his throat. I don't know what happened to Meji, because I was struck from behind and everything went black there.

When I came to, I had been stripped of my gear and packed into a trunk that was too small for me to move in, but plenty big enough to be jostled when a few of the smugglers saw fit to pick me up and shake me about. It wasn't an interrogation; none of them asked me a single question and I heard nothing but laughter. The sadists obviously enjoyed it, because I would be picked up and shaken every few hours with no attempt to question or kill me.

I had lost all track of how long I had been imprisoned and was well on the way to despair when salvation came in the form of another group of mercenaries who freed me from my confinement and offered me a chance at revenge by assisting them with the very task I had come to do in the first place. I showed my gratitude by healing what injuries I could. With my new friends' help I was able to reclaim most of my gear from the smugglers, and we compared notes about the coopers' guild, though I was able to offer little that they did not already know. Then they told me about the vampire that commanded the stronghold, and the reason I was kept alive became all too clear.

The guild was well manned and far more heavily defended than I had planned for and I doubt that I and my three original companions would have gotten far, but my saviours and new friends are more than up to the task, particularly the brave monk Lu Tse who engaged a ghoul in single combat, giving us time to dispatch the other rogues and smugglers. One of the wretches surrendered to us upon seeing his cohorts slain, and while my sword still thirsts for revenge against my captors, we need to learn all we can lest my mistake be repeated and we stumble to our deaths.

Post subject: Re: Previously on 'The Shieldings of Gaultria'
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:47 pm 
Donor

Altair-the-Vexed wrote:
(aka Dark 'Andy and Friktion Bern - best not ask...).
(That's your cue to discuss the last session!)

sorry to go off the pint but u gotta love blake and andre :D

Black Powder: AWI Redcoats
Guildball: Fishermen
Saga: Vikings

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:46 am 
Motor Mouth

Panendithas wrote:
Ah! What a day! We have sought the fiend high and low in this labyrinth of a lair but it seems that he has eluded us and found escape. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

I was unable to move for some time until the unholy effect of the ghoul's touch finally faded and I was able to stretch out my muscles and return life to my stiff limbs. We decided it would be prudent to avail ourselves of additional equipment from the store room of the Cooper's Guild and found a great number of items of all descriptions. Suitably prepared we descended to the next level of this lair.

We found an intriguing treasure room but the sound of water lapping behind a large pair of double doors caught our attention and we found ourselves in a deep cavern containing an aquifer - obviously the lifeblood of the city above. This cavern was also lair to a young dragon. Jon was startled and quick to shoot but I saw that the creature meant us no harm and spoke out in an attempt to calm him before people were unnecessarily hurt. Unfortunately his acidic breath felled Lu-Tse and Jonn before he was persuaded to stand down. With the gift of a few magical trinkets the creature was satisfied and he gave us some useful information stating that the vampire we sought in fact laired exclusively upstairs and that the storeroom down here was kept for magical treasures which the young wyrm himself made off with on a regular basis!

We attempted to find out what was behind the final door in this area but were unable to force it open and none of us understood anything about locks and so we were unable to open the door in any way.

Disheartened we returned upstairs to track down Nezh and came across a room which could only have been his. Inside we found a letter indicating that he had already fled! Behind the wardrobe we found a magical door of some kind and, ever impulsive, Lu-Tse leapt headlong through only to find, much to our dismay, that he could no longer see nor hear us and was unable to return! We attempted to stage a rescue but the magic at work was against us and we were unable to bring him back. Maybe our paths will cross again but I can see no way for Lu-Tse to rejoin us at this time.

On our way out I noticed a secret door, inside was a magically protected crown. I attempted to discern the type of magic at work but before I was able to do so, Tordek leapt forward clutching some sort of key and triggered a trap like I have never seen before! The room literally collapsed around him and on top of him and when the dust settled I witnessed the twisted body of my companion lying in ruins on the floor. He was dead and not even my magic could revive him.

We are returning to the city above shaken and our numbers reduced. I hope to continue my quest to hunt down Nezh and maybe we will one day find our friend Lu-Tse.

Rest in Peace friend Tordek.

Last edited by bigmaddrongo on Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:12 am 
Are you sure the room collapsed on Tordeck and it wasn't just his multiple personalities finally falling on each other? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:51 am 
Eleanor cannot quite believe the things she has witnessed in the lair of Nezh the Vampire... immature dragons firing acidic breath, that impulsive monk creating near deadly situations for us and then just... disappearing through a shimmering hole in the wall! A strange man talking to her from inside a large crystal ball, a locked chest that fires painful magical goo, and worst of all, the Dwarf Tordek crushed almost flat by a deadly trap!

Despite her previous disagreements regarding his torture methods, Eleanor is shocked, saddened and unnerved by this tragic turn of events, and she sees that a proper farewell is in order for the group's deceased friend. Making a mental note to voice this thought as they make ready to leave this unpleasant hideout, she stares once more at the vague outline of her other lost companion; Lu Tse the monk, now just a faint, pacing figure behind a smokey, magical curtain.
A very recent and surreal memory comes back to her; that of carefully reviving the fallen monk with her last potion in the young dragon's cavern so that the companions may all leave safely, thanks to Pan's diplomatic and linguistic skills. But what happened then? Suddenly Lu Tse had left her side and was strolling around the cavern with a mischievous look in his eye! After a brief attempt at dragging him away, Pan walked off grumbling something about going back upstairs, and the monk was reaching into his pocket for something. Sensing that everything was about to go horribly wrong, Eleanor heaved the still unconcious Jon onto her shoulders, and shuffled after Pan. Behind her, she heard a soft "splat" followed by the snickering laughter of Lu Tse as he came dashing out of the cave and heaved the doors shut. Just before they closed completely, Eleanor thought she caught a glimpse of the dragon struggling disdainfully with the alchemical goo of a tanglefoot bag.... most odd.

The young fighter ponders also the strange sight that was to be found nearby the dragon's lair; a beautiful, mysterious glowing ball of crystal. Something had compulsed her to try and pick it up, but it was stuck fast on its strange claw-shaped pedestal. When she had touched it however, mists had swirled inside it and... a face! Not simply her own reflection, but the face of another person had appeared! A dark haired man with a pointy, decorated beard, dressed in the clothes of a place far away from Al Zhamou - the Empire of Ty'itia over in the east. He had noticed her too, and peered up at her. "Nezh?" he had called. Eleanor had panicked a little, suddenly aware that she was perhaps not supposed to be seeing this. The man had realised this too, it seemed, "You're not Nezh!" he said, suspiciously.
"Erm... no, I'm one of the lads... I was just... cleaning the ball!" Eleanor replied, thinking quickly and trying to sound convincing. The man appeared to think for a moment, and then smiled.
"I'll tell him you've been interfering.... now be off with you!" he barked, dramatically.
"Oh... yes sir! Sorry sir!" Eleanor had not needed telling twice. Making a discreet rude gesture, she had left the ball, its mists swirling back into place again.

Eleanor now feels the weight of the afternoon's vigorous activity bearing down on her. She carefully sits down on Nezh's bed, pushing aside the scrolls of questionable "literature" that were found underneath. She is bruised, battered, in need of rest and a good meal. But there is much left to do; arrangements to be made for poor Tordek, decisions to be made regarding reckless Lu Tse, and a vampire to be tracked down... some day, at least.
Still, she and her friends have made pretty sure that he won't be coming back here, and have for the moment alleviated him of the burdens of wealth...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:06 pm 
Can I do a sense motive roll to see if Lu Tse is going to do something silly/dangerous again?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:45 pm 
Actually, you may not need to worry - from speaking to Steve yesterday, his thoughts mainly seem to be to leave the "one-legged monk" (darn those failed reflex saves) to explore his new desert home and roll up a new character.

Same goes for Mark, obviously.

Now we just have to get Pan, Jon and Eleanor to meet up with the new guys! I sense a stint in the local Inn, coming up....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:56 pm 
Motor Mouth

I take out some parchment for character sheets and get the ranger to start whittling dice...

Post subject: Lu Tse - epilogue - missing presumed having a good time.....
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:36 pm 
Motor Mouth

Medals: 1
KO Cup (1)
After spending a night in the shady outcrop waiting to be rescued, Lu Tse resided himself that not only was no rescue coming but there was no way back!!!

The city in the distance looked so inviting and he was sure that he could see a temple in the distance.

He set off determined to either start a new life or find a way back to his home. It was early morning by the time he reached the city gates, they were open and the guards seemed untroubled as he entered. There was a familiar feel to the city, homely almost.

A loaf of fresh bread and a jug of water helped with the walk up to what he could now see was i temple.

Walking up the steps towards the huge simple temple doors, familiar sounds of meditation and training could be heard. There was a large oriental brass bell to one side which he rang.....

The doors opened slowly and an ancient monk wearing the robes of a Grand Master greeted him " Lu Tse the imaptient, we have been expecting you".

He entered slowly, and the doors closed behind him............................

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:23 pm 
That sounds far too sensible for Lu Tse. Are you sure he didn't poke any giant scorpions with a stick on his walk through the desert or something?

EDIT: I've put together an elven rogue (burglar type) as a potential replacement for Tordek the Squished - Pete and Alastair are also writing up alternatives (a spy and a sniper), so you can pick the one you like the look of next session.

Post subject: Replacement.............
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:52 am 
Motor Mouth

Medals: 1
KO Cup (1)
Hi all.

Just to let you know that I have new character in mind thanks.

I will let Alastair know when Ive finished him so he can get us all to meet up at the Green Griffon Inn and go find the vampire..........

Steve

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 13   [ 189 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next