Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 8 of 13   [ 189 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tales from Gaultria - D&D story and discussion thread
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:23 am 
Noise Maker

Over the two days you've been in Nocciarbo, you and your fellow travellers and refugees from the airship have been made reasonably welcome. The gold certain people are spending with the local traders serves to soothe their frustration at the unreasonable requests being made of them - "No, sir, I en't gotten no armour for yer horse. I'm just, ye know, a smith. I'm putten on his shoes, yes? No armour." - and the less driven folk of the crew are already looking into working the forest for loggers' pay.
With this intermingling, it comes fairly easily to the more astute of you that not all is entirely right in Nocciarbo. The priest, Gedrald, is troubled, despite his cheerful exterior, and Puccillone, the Foreman of the Loggers, is downright grim and glum.

A few questions in the Knotted Wood inn reveal the village leaders' worry: Baron Onnaker's taxes. A month ago, the Baron's men came with a couple of bugbear thugs to demand a logging tax. When the Foreman said - rightly - that he knew nought of any tax, and hadn't the cash to pay, Onnaker's men took away the villagers' bows and arms, and Andrew and Mel, the watchmen. Some of the smarter lumberjacks reckon the Baron's raising a force to raid his neighbours' baronies. All agree that without a pike or two in the village, it can be scary at night. Anyway, logging is thirsty work, and it's good to have rich strangers coming through. Cheers!

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:11 am 
Having not moved very far from the little corner of the inn where she flopped on arrival in Nocciarbo, Eleanor ponders the news and rumour she has learned, and comments to the rest of the party on the current situation...

Ok guys, it seems like we could be useful to these people while we're here, which I'm all up for. But let's not forget about that cartload of anny... annymanny... annytanny.... metal stuff we're being paid to return to a very rich guy who claims to be its owner.
Now I'm not all for the money, don't get me wrong. I'm more for keeping my skin in tact, to be honest. This fella seems to have fingers in a whole load of flans, and will no doubt eventually find out that the airship went down, after which he'll probably assume we're dead and send someone to come and look for it.
My point being: should he ever find out that we're alive, still have the goods, and that we... ahem... failed to try and get those goods to him as promised, my skin is unlikely to remain in tact.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:34 am 
Donor

Nathaniel Hawke wrote:
Well Ladies and Gentlemen I have to confess I agree with Eleanor. We have promised a service to the affluent chap and I am certain that we should complete his task. As for saving ones skin, I believe that With the glorious Dio as my protector no pleb shall cross our path or threaten our safety. And furthermore as a Holy Knight of Dio I see it as my duty to protect any of his followers and their companions.

Out of Character:

Black Powder: AWI Redcoats
Guildball: Fishermen
Saga: Vikings

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 5:58 pm 
Jon's Journal
What in all the names of all the Saints have I been doing these past days? I took Grenabychi's coin the first time because it allowed me to lead an expedition against smugglers that profit from the grief and weakness of others, and agreed to the second time only because I thought it might let me get close enough to the man that I visit the same justice on him. A means to an end - his end, and nothing more, and yet here I am risking my life on a task that will make a vile man richer?

Well, fie on him and his precious animatium. I'm done with him and all his misbegotten ilk. I see no reason why I should strive to his benefit when I can do some real good in this town. The knight Nathaniel seems to have overheard talk of our deal and taken it upon himself to fulfill it as though it were a blood-sworn oath, but I suspect that perhaps he might see things differently if he knew more of our employer. Well, let Grenabychi's lackey Bosun take back his master's booty if he wants, and let Nathaniel follow if he will; perhaps when the two meet, Nathaniel will finish the job I started. A new task lies before me.

The village of Nocchiarbo lies undefended, or did until we arrived. Worse, it lies undefended because the local baron seeks to raise an army of sorts, and will likely bring war to the land. If they'll have me, I'll take this village and its woods as my ward; there's a shrine nearby that suggests rangers meet on occasion, but I've seen no sign of a constant presence. Perhaps I might even train the people of the village how to wield an axe in battle, that they might defend themselves if they find the baron's enemies at their doors looking for revenge.

I've fought for money, for glory, and more recently, for disreputable men, and still I consider myself a good man. Perhaps I can't change the world, but this I can do.

Out of Character:
Jon's on a crusade (though perhaps not with as much zealotry as in that little scuffle near Jerusalem)! After the first day when he hears all of the rumours, he will scout around the town to take stock of its defensibility, best routes of retreat, and the like; that done, he'll ask Gedrald and Puccilone about taking the town under his protection, and getting some of the citizenry to trade in their Commoner hit die for a level in Warrior.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:14 am 
NOT A DOUBLE POST! I claim immunity to the double-posting rules here on the grounds that it's a game write-up thread.

Jon's Journal
Today was the wedding of Maria and Eduardo, so I temporarily abandoned my attempts to convince the Foreman and Cleric of the need for a trained militia in favour of helping to celebrate the happy day, and joining in the festivities out at the druids' shrine. The townsfolk of Nocciarbo had been busy in their preparations, and the shrine was bedecked in colourful ribbons, and the Landlord of the Knotted Wood had seen fit to transport a few barrels closer to the site, though still a respectful distance off the shrine.

Before the ceremony got underway, we were interrupted by a powerful wizard teleporting into our midst. He was clearly one of Grenabychi's men, as he instructed Bosun to ready the animatium for transportation, then teleported them both out, leaving a large chest full of small rocks and a single platinum piece as payment. Whether this was meant as condescencion or otherwise, Eleanor is now a coin richer, and the village has gained a strongbox and a fair supply of sling ammunition.

When the hubbub had died down a little, the wedding began. Despite the local Cleric's best attempts to drone on well into the night, eventually he ran out of words and was forced to actually marry the young couple. I added the blessings of St Moerton to those of the townsfolk, and the newlyweds were...well, newly wed.

The baron, however, had also caught wind of the wedding, and was apparently disinclined to let the happy day go unsullied. A retinue of goblins, men and bugbears had surrounded the shrine while we were distracted by the festivities, and a man who claimed to be the baron's lieutenant demanded the surrender of the bride for Prima Noctum. Nathaniel, who in my short experience of the man has ever strived to hold up the ideal of a "knight in shining armour", imposed himself between Lieutenant and newlyweds, and began an impassioned speech to respect the sanctity of the shrine and the wedding itself. Whether his words were noted or fell on deaf ears I shall never know, because Eleanor had taken umbrage at the threat, and decided to make her thoughts known in a more...demonstrative manner.

Melee broke out, and while the townsfolk stood cowed by the baron's show of force, my companions and I defended the wedding as best we could, with Eleanor's chains flying in a whirlwind of death, Sefu capturing the lieutenant for a later ransom, and tiny Finlandia growing to the size of an ogre as a self-styled avatar of justice. When the last of the attackers had surrendered, bled their last or routed, Nathaniel once more showed his mettle; Even going so far as to offer a fair wage, Nathaniel spared a footman's life on the condition that he become a squire. I personally would be loath to allow such a man to assist in the donning and doffing of armour when he would be just as likely to shank me, but I suspect that such thoughts are why Nathaniel was ordained as a knight.

The townsfolk, ever fearful, cried out that by resisting the baron's men, we had only called down his wrath upon them, but one or two strong souls were wise enough to see that while there may be repercussions, we had taken the first steps to freeing them from the baron's tyrannical yoke. In any case, my companions and I were not yet done. The baron would need to be reminded that his role in ruling over the land was not inviolate. After debating at length whether we should approach the baron's castle by guile or by stealth, we chose the latter - one of the townsfolk knew of the lightly fortified door used by the baron's goblins to enter and exit the keep, and offered to show us.

The group made ready to leave, though Finlandia made it clear that she had expended her arcane powers and would be reliant solely upon her bow, and I chose to remain behind and muster a defence should retribution fall upon the town before my companions could teach the baron humility.

Just then, a a lass wandered into the shrine out of the forest, elfin in size, but too broad in the shoulder for any elf maiden I have met. Without bothering to introduce herself, she wandered about the townsfolk, comparing each of them to the pages of a small book she carried. Her demeanour was light, but her stride betrayed her skill at arms; most likely she was a thief-taker or bounty hunter. At length, her gaze settled upon Nathaniel, who it seemed matched her quarry; she strode boldly towards him, declared him to be a hero and beseeched him to hurry with her, though she offered no explanation beyond that her instructions were to "find a hero and hurry back". Sefu restrained her, though oddly she offered no resistance, and continued to insist that Nathaniel travel with her.

When questioned, she showed us her book, which contained within it a number of woodcuts, including one depicting an armoured knight upon a horse. There was no denying that Nathaniel bore a clear resemblance to the image, but any mounted figure in armour would have been an equal match. When asked where we should hurry to, she named her origin as Hule, a town of which I have never heard. If her directions were to be believed, it would be to the north, near the Great Desert, but then if her mind is as addled as it seems it could be anywhere. At the very least, she seemed content ebough to assist my companions on the assault of the castle, if Nathaniel follow her when they were done.

Felmani Rakash - a description
Felmani is short and slim, though her build is more one of an athlete than a courtier, and anything borrowed from Finlandia's wardrobe would be very tight around the shoulders but loose about the chest. She wears travel-stained clothing made of light canvas in browns and greys, but the collar of a finely-woven mail shirt is just visible at her throat, and short spikes jut out from the leather bracers and light greaves that she wears. At each hip, she carries a heavy pouch, from which a short handle hangs ready. On her initial approach, her head and face are covered by a mask and hood, but when lowered they reveal a face of clear and balanced if distinctly average features, framed by mid-length black hair. Her eyes are so dark as to be almost black, but her skin tone is somewhat average for the region.

Alastair - as you may guess from the description (or from reading the character sheet), I took your comments on board and sprung for some armour spikes after all (described here as short spikes on leather bracers/greaves).

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:48 am 
Noise Maker

The Nocciarbo News wrote:
THE NOCCIARBO NEWS
Sunday 5th Litha, 3rd Dark Shakkid of Shekel Hamaut
Siyebhuar (elven), Midsummer (Dionist) 1 pennie

Fighte at Local Couple's Weddyng
The wedding of happy couple Maria (18) and Eduardo MacCoohil (20) was interrupted by Lord Fitzarlo of the Courte of Baron Onnaker, and his attendant men at arms and goblins, claiming the prima nocce rights on newly wed Maria. The Baron's men were overpowered by wedding guests in a brief but bloody fyght.
Minerva, a Herbalist, who was witness to the melee, said that "The Lord came a-charging into the sacred grove on his horse, shouting aboute first night rights. Then one of them visitors from the crashéd ayrship, some foreign knighte called out for them to stoppe, and one of his mates lashed out with a chain and then a big fighte broke out. There were bugbears and goblyns and men at arms everywhere, and what with all our arms being taken away before, we were only saved by the knight and the wizard elf lady [reporter's note: Lady Finlandia of Varridor (age not given)] and their friends. Lord Fitzarlo knocked out Ed, and the goblins seized Maria. That big fellow from the airship [reporter's note: Sefu of the Airship Guild security (15)] wrestled the Baron's knight and squeezed him senseless. Then that foreigner, Sir Nathaniel, he showed mercy to one of the band and swore him to be his squire! It was ever so proper and chivalrous. About time we had a decent knight round these parts."
After the intruders were subdued, Foreman Puccilone (42) and Brother Gedrald (51) lead vigorous debate as to the next course of action. The Ranger Jon of the airship refugees volunteered to organise defence of the village with the lumberjacks, and the weapons of the fallen Baron's men were distributed. The refugees from the ayrship declared that they would journey to Castle Onnaker and deal with the Baron. Corraldo, a hunter, volunteered to lead the band to a hidden entrance into the Castle. The refugees debated entering in the guise of visiting nobles, and called for a change of livery, which certain local seamstresses voluinteered to provide. Lord Fitzarlo was held captive for ransom. At the time of writing it is not known if the refugees from the ayrship plan to sneak below the Castle or visit by the front gayte.

Crazed Woman Joins Party
As the Party of refugees from the Ayrship were about to set off on their journay to Castle Onnaker (see Fighte at Weddyng story above), a crazed woman emerged from the trees and besought Sir Nathaniel's aid.
Minerva, a Herbalist, was witness to the strange event, and said "She came running out of the woods, with a book of parchment. It looked to me like she had sketches or woodcut pictures or the like there. And when she spied Sir Nathaniel, she charged forth and told him to be off with her into the woods! Now Sir Nathaniel of course is a virtuous knighte, and he wouldn't go off with no strange woman, but asked her her business. I didn't hear what was said then, but it seems she's going with them on their quest to the castle."

Foreman Puccilone Calls for Calm
Foreman Yan Puccilone called for swift action, and resolute calm today following the fighte at the wedding (see Fyght at Weddinge story, above).
"I call for resolute calm, and swift action," he said to the folk of Nocciarbo. "We must make ready to defend our homes. The Lumber Guild will allow each household and single man four hundredweight of logs to make stockades and defences, free of charge. Safe within our defences, we must continue the work that makes nocciarbo great - forestry! Let none shirk his task."

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:03 am 
Donor

Sir Nathaniel Hawke Of Easedale wrote:
Comrades I have come up with a plan of sorts about how we may best breach this fiends castle! I propose Myself and the lady Finlandia Pose as Nobles requesting an audience with the Baron. I think hat with my Military Knowledge and The Ladys brilliant beguilement we are sure to make it in unscathed. Then Once we are inside the castle we can scout out for the numbers of guards and any other possible dangers. Whilst we are doing This the rest of you,along with Boris will search the secret entrance and take extra care to check for traps,guards & any other things that may hamper our use of that entrance should we chooose to use it. Well chaps, what do you think?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:54 am 
Eleanor sighs...
And then what?

It's all very well you and the little princess over there 'scouting for guards', Nathaniel, but how are you actually going to tell us (you know, the muppets sneaking in the back) how many there are and where and all that?

Sure, you two going in the front might cause a short distraction, which is the only reason I'd go with this plan - but just remember when I get in there, there isn't going to be a lot of sneaky sneaky pretendy stuff going on.

Had you thought about what happens once we're all in there? It's not going to be pretty, and unless you have a better idea, I'm not holding back on these idiots once I'm in.

Unless you have a solid plan as to what you're going to do with the Baron once you've got in to see him, we may as well all go in the back together and unleash spiky death, like we normally do...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:05 am 
Donor

Sir Nathaniel Hawke Of Easedale wrote:
Eleanor, I propose that the lady and I scout out the inside of the castle and then return to inform the rest of you prior to everyone entering through the back entrance... If you are moronic enough to storm into the castle blind then by all mean fire away, but I for one wont be following until I know whats lurking

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:17 am 
Motor Mouth

Sefu says
Don't do front doors. I'm gonna go kill goblins what the man said we'd find in the back door.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:12 am 
Eleanor, to Nathaniel...
Of course I'm not a moron, you... you... pompous siege tower!
Have you forgotten that lackey of the Baron's who escaped??

*Points to where the last crossbow guy ran off into the forest*

We don't have time to go on a scouting mission! We all go together, NOW, before everyone in that castle gets to know we're coming!

Out of Character:
(Apologies, but Eleanor would get quite frustrated by this point, as we had kind of already discussed the idea of sending a decoy, but figured out it would take too long to set up.)

I would like to point out, however, that Fel did in fact kill the last guy to run away, as she made her way to find the location of all the noise she was hearing. But the rest of us didn't see that, and quite naturally for the character she didn't bother saying anything about it when she arrived.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:25 am 
Donor

Nathaniel to Eleanor
(looking rather red and embarassed)I errrrr Failed to notice the escapee Eleanor! And in which case I will agree with you that the best cause of action Is to use a fast and violent shock attack. However Prepare yourself for it will be a bloodbath of epic proportions, infact this day may life in infamy for years to come. I admit that I wont be at my best without my mighty steed, however you have my sword and my life if necessary. For Dio,the light and above all for glory!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:44 am 
Motor Mouth

Sefu says
's only a few goblins, dunno why yer all shouting

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:16 pm 
Donor

Nathaniel glares disaprovingly at sefu and mutters under his breath
Bloody stupid halfwit, If only that fools brain were half the size of his sword he might be worth listening to

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:38 pm 
Eleanor sidles up to Nathaniel, and whispers...
Oi! I heard that...

You keep your insults to yourself. He might not be the prettiest, brightest gold piece in your pocket, but he's an all right guy.

(Plus he's handy in a fight, so we definitely don't want to give him any reasons not to be on our side, got it?)

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 8 of 13   [ 189 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next