Change font size
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:30 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: [D&D 3.5] Proposed new house rule - more Feats
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:51 pm 
Noise Maker

After reading an essay about how the fighting classes are hard done by because they only get a few crumby feats (and rejecting their solution to the perceived issue), I've been thinking about changing the awarding of feats to characters.

In the rules as written (RAW), you start with one or two feats, and then gain a feat at every level that can be divided by 3. You get 6 feats (plus any bonuses from your class or race) in your whole 20-level career.

I propose that characters start with the same feats as by the RAW, but then gain "feat points" (FP) each level, that each class gains a different number of feat points, and that you can select a new feat whenever you have 24 FP to spend.

I propose that
  • the non-magical classes (fighter, rogue, barbarian) gain 12 FP per level
  • the half-casters and magical-non-casters (monk, ranger, paladin, bard) gain 10
  • the full casters (wizard, druid, cleric, sorcerer) gain 8
This will give
  • fighters and co. 10 feats in 20 levels
  • rangers and so on 8 feats in 20 levels
  • wizards and the like 6 feats in 20 levels

As well as increasing the number of feats one can get, I propose adding in certain feats from other d20 games to make the higher end feats more amazing and useful, so that they can compare to spells that similar level characters might cast. (Yes, keeping this balanced will be a delicate task...)

What do you think? Doomed to fail? Too small an advantage? Too much? Please comment!

Post subject: Re: [D&D 3.5] Proposed new house rule - more Feats
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:19 pm 
Could you please just clarify how the feat points will work?

You say characters will start with the feats awarded to them originally by the RAW - does this mean you're still keeping the system of 1 feat every 3 levels, in addition to the Feat Points idea? Or replacing the awarding of feats completely with Feat Points?

How are these points awarded? Each character automatically gains the stated amount for their class, once per level?

This would make multiclassing fairly easy - a 1st level Wizard gets his 6 - then he takes a level in Rogue and gets 12. At 3rd level he goes back to wizard and gets another 6, giving him 24. Ding! Feat time.

A pure fighter or barbarian or rogue however gets the benefit of having 12 every level, so by 2nd level, they already have enough for a feat where most other classes have to wait until 3rd.

I'll stop there in case I've got anything completely wrong.... :?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:08 pm 
Noise Maker

Helios wrote:
Could you please just clarify how the feat points will work?

You say characters will start with the feats awarded to them originally by the RAW - does this mean you're still keeping the system of 1 feat every 3 levels, in addition to the Feat Points idea? Or replacing the awarding of feats completely with Feat Points?

At 1st level, you get 1 feat (or two if you're human). Fighters and some other classes are get another feat from a selection of class bonus feats.
Then you get points for each level. If your class grants you more bonus feats (like the fighter does), then you get these without using points.

Helios wrote:
How are these points awarded? Each character automatically gains the stated amount for their class, once per level?

This would make multiclassing fairly easy - a 1st level Wizard gets his 6 - then he takes a level in Rogue and gets 12. At 3rd level he goes back to wizard and gets another 6, giving him 24. Ding! Feat time.

A pure fighter or barbarian or rogue however gets the benefit of having 12 every level, so by 2nd level, they already have enough for a feat where most other classes have to wait until 3rd.

I'll stop there in case I've got anything completely wrong.... :?

Yes, that's what I meant. Multiclassing by the RAW is just as easy. I've made sure that the full caster classes get feats as normal - once every third level. Other classes get feats quicker. That's the idea - to make other classes as strong as the casters.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:51 am 
Donor

I like this idea

Black Powder: AWI Redcoats
Guildball: Fishermen
Saga: Vikings

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:51 am 
It's a good idea, but doesn't really solve the "spells are better than feats" problem that pervades mid-high level play (albeit somewhat mitigated by the Pathfinder Critical feats that let martial types do more than just HP damage).

Having said that, I'm commenting without the benefit of seeing what other feats you're looking to introduce, and how their prerequisites work.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]