Change font size
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:46 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: [HOMEBREW][D&D3X] Reputation for D&D Arena Campaigns
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:18 am 
Motor Mouth

A character’s reputation will have a bearing on the level of reward (items, treasure and money) he may receive after a battle and also increase his possibility of being sent gifts (items, treasure and money) and being offered invitations to the big battles.

Reputation will be gained and lost based on actions taken during battles and the results of those battles. Cowardly actions will decrease reputation and impressive manoeuvres will increase reputation. Reputation will run on a scale of 00-99.

Gaining and Losing Reputation

All reputation adjustments, whether negative or positive, will be applied to the character at the end of an encounter.

• One reputation point will be gained per encounter if a battle ends in a win. An additional reputation point may be gained on an inverse reputation check. Roll d% against the character’s reputation and if the result is greater than the character’s reputation then they gain one more point. (This is designed to reflect the fact that it is relatively easier to impress people when they don’t know what to expect from you, but character’s with higher reputations have to work harder to impress their fans further.)
  • If a character is particularly impressive in battle, i.e. they carry out an interesting or amusing manoeuvre or they drop a large opponent in a single hit etc., then they have a chance to gain additional reputation points.
  • Once an impressive event has occurred, make a DC15 Charisma check, if successful then the character receives an additional reputation point. This should not be done too many times during a single encounter and should be done at the DM’s discretion.
  • If a character acts out of cowardice during an encounter and attempts to run away or hide, or does not make an attack during several rounds then the crowd becomes bored and the character loses a point of reputation.
  • Additionally, after five rounds of inactivity the crowd may start to boo the character. To determine this, make a reputation check as normal and on a failure the crowd begins to boo the character and they receive a penalty of -1 to hit and damage for two rounds. They receive no bonus on a success in this instance.
  • Upon obtaining a new level, a character will receive 1d4+1 points of reputation.
  • Reputation will also be gained upon winning a title from an existing arena champion, and can be lost when losing a title that you are defending. The amount of reputation points gained or lost is determined by the title that has been won or lost. (Arena Champions TBC)

Effect of Reputation

Reputation During Combat: Reputation may help during combat as the crowd cheers on the character providing them with a temporary bonus to hit and damage. To determine if a character is being cheered on during combat, roll d% every five rounds, if the result is equal to or less than the character’s reputation then the crowd are cheering and the character is pumped and gains +1 to hit and damage for two rounds. During PvP this will be rolled for all characters and only the character with the highest reputation bonus who is being cheered will gain the bonus and this will be at +2 to hit and damage for two rounds.

Reputation and Rewards: To determine if the character receives a bonus reward, roll d% at the end of combat, if the result is equal to or less than the character’s reputation then they receive a bonus from Table X Bonus Rewards. Details TBC.

Reputation and Gifts: To determine if a character receives a gift from a fan, roll d% at the end of combat, if the result is equal to or less than the character’s reputation they will receive a gift from Table X Gifts from Fans. Details TBC.

Reputation System for D&D Arena Campaigns by Peter Collins is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-Share Alike 2.0 UK: England & Wales License. Based on a work at alchemystudios.co.uk.

Last edited by bigmaddrongo on Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:28 am 
Noise Maker

We could do with some examples of 'interesting combat manoeuvre' - like maybe avoiding Attacks of Opportunity through tumbling, or using a feat in combat.

I'd also suggest that all reputaion adjustments are handed out at the end of the fight: someone who is battered and hammered all the way through the fight but still manages to drop his opponent may not have been especially impressive with any one action, but would gain from the Rocky-factor of winning against the odds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:43 am 
Motor Mouth

Altair-the-Vexed wrote:
We could do with some examples of 'interesting combat manoeuvre' - like maybe avoiding Attacks of Opportunity through tumbling, or using a feat in combat.

Absolutely, and these are some good starting examples. This is exactly the sort of thing I was thinking of though, so I think a lot of DMs using this would recognise the kind of event that could create a rep bonus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:48 pm 
Donor

omg this game sounds like its going to be the dogs!!!
im well excited XD
do we get reputation points for pvp :wink:

Black Powder: AWI Redcoats
Guildball: Fishermen
Saga: Vikings

Post subject: Re: [HOMEBREW] [D&D3.X] Reputation for D&D Arena Cam
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:39 pm 
Awesome set of rules! Well Done!

bigmaddrongo wrote:

[*]Once an impressive event has occurred, make a DC15 Charisma check, if successful then the character receives an additional reputation point. This should not be done too many times during a single encounter and should be done at the DM’s discretion.

Hey, is this the character 'show boating'? - I like to think so!
Maybe some classes, like LG monks are not allowed to showboat.

LMAO="THE ROCKY FACTOR" - Love It! - sounds like a new rule should be written for this kind of event!!

Post subject: Re: [HOMEBREW] [D&D3.X] Reputation for D&D Arena Cam
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:45 pm 
Motor Mouth

chamber101 wrote:
Awesome set of rules! Well Done!

bigmaddrongo wrote:

[*]Once an impressive event has occurred, make a DC15 Charisma check, if successful then the character receives an additional reputation point. This should not be done too many times during a single encounter and should be done at the DM’s discretion.

Hey, is this the character 'show boating'? - I like to think so!
Maybe some classes, like LG monks are not allowed to showboat.

LMAO="THE ROCKY FACTOR" - Love It! - sounds like a new rule should be written for this kind of event!!

With regards to showboating: kind of, it's to prevent CHA becoming too much of a dump stat, i.e. there may be good reason to have a decent CHA, but in-game it represents how well a character deals with being really cool. A poor roll indicates that they spent a little too long patting themselves on the back, or that their post-fight celebration was too OTT. A good results has the character perhaps graciously accepting the applause or being stoic in victory, or landing a People's Elbow on their fallen foe.

This allows a monk to still gain reputation as the crowd would see them accepting their karma or whatever, or would just be super-amazed by their Shaolin skills.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:10 pm 
Heres a cool thought:

If the character is able to make a perform check - (DC equal to current reputation maybe?) during the battle, they get a bonus rep point?
This is basically an extension of the Impressive Manouvre rule (I.e. a Charisma based check)

"You missed a corker of a fight last night Durvin! He dropped Coth The Spike and then actually danced on top of his still twitching corpse!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:47 pm 
Perform checks? This is clearly an insidious ploy to make Bards more viable!

"You missed a corker of a fight last night Durvin! He dropped Coth The Spike and then sang a ballad to his still twitching corpse!"
"He did what???"
"Yeah, I know. A bard, being useful in a fight. I'd never have dreamed it if I hadn't seen with my own eyes!"

Edit: A monk could quite easily be performing a quick kata to re-centre him/herself after a particularly athletic manouvre. Some of those Wushu katas don't look too far off showboating to me (albeit particularly dangerous showboating)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:42 pm 
Damn! Discovered!
(Note to self: "my initial research into the 'Bardiator' prestige class has met with negative results)

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]