Change font size
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:06 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: [HOMEBREW D&D 3.x] Spells inspired by Fable
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:50 am 
Noise Maker

Here are a couple of spells based on two of the Will powers from the Fable XBox and PC game.
Do they work? Are they at the right sort of level? Should any of these numbers be tweaked? Let me know what you think!

EDITED: to include suggestions below

Force Push (evoc)
Level: Wiz/Sor 5;
Casting time: standard action;
Area: burst radius 5ft / 5 levels
Duration: Instantaneous;
Save: Reflex (see text);
Spell Resistance: Yes;
Comp: V M

A wave of telekinetic power bursts from you, effectively Bull Rushing all in a 10 ft + 5ft / 5 levels radius burst, possibly dealing bludgeoning damage. The telekinesis automatically pushes opponents as far as possible within the burst radius (possibly knocking the opponent up to 5 feet out of the radius). The strength score of the telekinesis is equal to your caster level + ability adjustment (INT or CHA, by class), and may be considered Medium in size. For every 5 feet a character is pushed back, they take 1d6 bludgeoning damage (with regards to Damage Reduction, the bludgeoning is non-magical). A Reflex save negates this damage, but does not change the effects of the Bull Rush.
Material Component is a tiny vessel of Bull's blood, smashed to the ground on casting.

Fire Burst (evoc)
Level: Wiz/Sor 6;
Casting time: standard action;
Area: burst radius 10ft;
Duration: Instantaneous;
Save: Reflex (see text);
Spell Resistance: Yes;
Comp: V M

A wave of telekinetic power and elemental fire bursts from you, effectively Bull Rushing all in a 10 ft burst, and dealing fire damage. The telekinesis automatically pushes opponents as far as possible within the burst radius (possibly knocking the opponent up to 5 feet out of the radius). The strength score of the telekinesis is equal to 10 + ability adjustment (INT or CHA, by class), and may be considered Medium in size. All characters in the burst radius (other than the caster) take 1d6 fire damage per two caster levels. A Reflex save halves this damage, but does not change the effects of the Bull Rush.
Material Component is a tiny vessel of bull's blood and alchemists' fire, smashed to the ground on casting. The alchemists' fire deals no damage.

Last edited by Altair-the-Vexed on Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:10 pm 
I'm not sure about these - as spells in and of themselves they seem about right in power and level, but they're designed to be used almost exclusively when surrounded by enemies in melee, which a wizard or sorceror would almost never hope to be, and high enough level that they would be towards the top end of a Gish-type's repertoire (barring munchkin levels of prestige classing)

Would they be overpowered as a 4th& 5th level spell?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:10 am 
Noise Maker

Daremonai wrote:
I'm not sure about these - as spells in and of themselves they seem about right in power and level, but they're designed to be used almost exclusively when surrounded by enemies in melee, which a wizard or sorceror would almost never hope to be, and high enough level that they would be towards the top end of a Gish-type's repertoire (barring munchkin levels of prestige classing)

Yes - they'd be too good for 4th and 5th, I reckon.

How about (you might like this) I take away their "S" component. No armour check related failure chance...
Does that make them more useful?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:15 am 
Motor Mouth

Altair-the-Vexed wrote:
Daremonai wrote:

Yes - they'd be too good for 4th and 5th, I reckon.

How about (you might like this) I take away their "S" component. No armour check related failure chance...
Does that make them more useful?

I was going to suggest the removal of S from the components. It makes sense since these spells are likely to be used either by a combat-oriented multiclasser or by somebody who has suddenly found themselves in trouble and might have their hands full of wands, scrolls or potions.

-S gets my vote. I reckon the levels are about right though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:22 pm 
Noise Maker

Done.

Anything else need tweaking?

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]