It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:38 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: Lucky I had my Shark Repellent With Me! [d20 modern feat]
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:21 pm 
Noise Maker

"Lucky I have my gadget with me!"
(Techie Feat)
Prerequisites: Techie level 1 +
Benefit: The Techie always has customised gadgets and scratch-built gizmos to hand.
With this ability, the techie spends an action point to automatically have immediately to hand any gadget device (see gadget rules) or equipment with a purchase DC less than his wealth bonus. The item must be small enough to be feasibly concealed within reach of the Techie (including in the trunk or cargo space of a vehicle). A Techie can attempt to have to hand items of higher value by making a wealth check, but he or she still spends the action point if the check fails. Gadgets produced by this ability last as long as Jury Rigged items (till the end of the scene or encounter), after which, their experimental and customised nature causes breakage and failures, and they must be repaired as though of scrap-heap quality.
Normal: A character can only make a Wealth check to see if he or she has a mundane object on hand if the object has a purchase DC of 10 or lower. The character takes a –10 penalty on the check, and he or she can’t take 10 or take 20.
Special: This feat can be taken as one of the Techie’s bonus feats

Thoughts? Any further limitations to balance this out? Note that it's only available to the Prestige Class: Techies.

EDIT: updated feat with clarifications

Last edited by Altair-the-Vexed on Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Lucky I had my Shark Repellent With Me! [d20 modern feat]
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:32 pm 
Motor Mouth

Well it made me laugh which is always a good start. My first thought was that it could be too powerful but linking it to AP use should sort that out.

Is Techie a published or homebrew class, I don't think I've come across it before?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:53 pm 
Noise Maker

bigmaddrongo wrote:
Is Techie a published or homebrew class, I don't think I've come across it before?

Techie is an advanced class (not a PrC, sorry) from the d20 modern rules.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:06 pm 
With the introduction of this feat, where do we stand vis-a-vis bunches of flowers?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:18 pm 
Noise Maker

Daremonai wrote:
With the introduction of this feat, where do we stand vis-a-vis bunches of flowers?

The ability to instantly produce objects with values below your wealth score, as if by magic?

It remains unaffected.
MSRD wrote:
On-Hand Objects
To account for the mundane and innocuous objects that most people have among their possessions—and not force every character to specifically purchase such objects in order to employ them—use the following rules.
With the GM’s permission, a character can make a Wealth check to see if he or she has a mundane object on hand, as long as the object has a purchase DC of 10 or lower. (The GM determines the purchase DC for an object that’s not mentioned in this chapter, using similarly priced objects as a guide.) The Wealth check works the same as for buying the object, except that the character takes a –10 penalty on the check, and he or she can’t take 10 or take 20. Also, a character can’t make a Wealth check to see if he or she has a mundane object on hand during character generation or between adventures—only during play. If the character succeeds, his or her Wealth bonus is unaffected, even if the object’s purchase DC is higher than his or her Wealth bonus.
Depending on the situation, the GM can rule that a certain mundane object is not available; for an object to be obtainable, the character must be in a place where the object logically would be.

Yes, I based the Techie feat on the fallacy of the bunch of flowers rule - which you can see from the quote above, isn't nearly as silly as it sounded when exaggerated as it was...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:22 pm 
Daremonai wrote:

How did I know you were going to bring those into it....? :roll: :lots of love:

Within the feel of Alastair's particular D20 Modern game (anything is possible, it's a silly, over the top cop show/sci-fi/horror extravaganza of awesomeness), this feat works brilliantly.

Not sure how it would fair in a more straightforward, 'serious' game which used only D20 modern rules though - might be a bit overpowered...

"Oh, I have the exact thing we need to resolve this situation... in my pocket!"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:47 pm 
Noise Maker

Edited the OP to add some clarifications.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]