Change font size
It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 2:10 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: [DnD 3.5 Character Build] not rly homebrew but...
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:57 pm 
Donor

COuld you make a really destructive character with barbarian/ rogue?

I was thinking more levels of barb followed by one or two in rogue.

so high strength and highish dex.
then have improved trip feat.

ANd then in combat round could you use a weapon like a halberd to trip the opponent making them vulnerable to a d10 + 1d6 + strenght sneak attack. plus then with combat expertise you could get loads of aoo on the as the try to get back up ?

Black Powder: AWI Redcoats
Guildball: Fishermen
Saga: Vikings

Post subject: Re: not rly homebrew but...
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:24 pm 
As I read it (in the PHB) being tripped/prone does not deny you your Dex bonus. I would say that while your barbarian would get an AoO as his (her?) target stood up, he would NOT get the extra sneak attack damage - unless, of course, the target was flanked, blind, or something else that would allow a sneak attack.

I'll assume that you meant Combat Opportunist instead of Combat Expertise for this next bit, and point out that you only get ONE AoO for ecery action that triggers it. That means that if your target tries to stand up, you only get ONE AoO (and one the next time, and the next, etc. up to your Dex bonus). It seems like you're out of luck there.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:35 pm 
As far as I know, the only thing that allows you more than one AoO per turn is the Combat Reflexes feat, which allows you extra AsoO up to your Dex bonus, which you may use every time an opponent moves through one of your threatened squares, or tries to stand up in one of your threatened squares.
So if this were to happen more than once in the round (eg someone stands up next to you, then later in the round another opponent runs past you), you would get the extra attacks. Whereas someone without the feat would only get to do it once, and all the other movements in your threatened spaces have to go unchecked.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:41 pm 
oops - I got my feat names mixed up too. Thanks for the correction Helios. In any case, you still don't get the sneak attack damage.

I think what Jack's trying to do here is the old trick with Improved Trip where you trip someone and hit them, then when they try to get up again you trip them with your AoO and take your free melee attack, then when they try to get up again.....ad nauseum.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:56 pm 
No problem - I actually thought you were mentioning a splat book feat I didn't know about!

With regards the sneak attack thing - this would be where party tactics comes in. This build of character would be very powerful when paired with any other fighter type - get in there and flank them for all it's worth!

An even better partner in crime would be a fellow rogue - two people sneak attacking a flanked opponent is always better than one...

Post subject: Re: [DnD 3.5 Character Build] not rly homebrew but...
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:20 am 
Donor

Hmm i quite fancy a character that does this. :P
maybe nathaniel will meet his untimely end soon..

Black Powder: AWI Redcoats
Guildball: Fishermen
Saga: Vikings

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:11 am 
...or you could just take Nathaniel's next level in fighter and take the feat as your fighter bonus feat.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:20 am 
Motor Mouth

Quote:
A Holy Knight who gains a new class or (if already multiclass) raises another class by a level may never again raise her Holy Knight level, though she retains all her Holy Knight abilities. The path of the Holy Knight requires a discipline and rigorous adherence. Once you undertake the path, you must pursue it to the exclusion of all other careers. Once you have turned off the path, you may never return.

He could splash for fighter but then he'd have to be a fighter.

I was sure I'd posted something earlier but obviously I didn't. I was going to say that dropping some Rogue levels on a Barbarian is always nice since they overlap slightly at the trapfinding and the Rogue skill points would help offset the lack of Barbarian skill points.

Was also going to point out the whole Combat Opportunist = Combat Reflexes thing but that's already been done...

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]