Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 7 of 7   [ 105 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: AD&D 1st Edition thread for players and DM only please..
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:55 am 
Noise Maker

"A scrap of parchment covered in scrawled notes"
classic openings - assume white? aim for fast mate. e4, nf3, d4 &c, &c.
  • if black e5, then dxe5
  • if dxe5 fails (assuming combat ensues), then nxe5? (pin down hero pieces)
  • black Bxnf3? if yes, Qxf3
  • nc3, bg5, Nxb5?
  • bxb5 - CHECK!
  • castle ASAP
  • Oh Nystra help me. Help us! They're going to hate me.
  • Rxd7? (sacrifice - bluff it? depends on interaction & confidence)
  • What if I'm wrong? Are they going to survive being taken?
  • rd1, bxd7 (check, but feint)
  • qb8+ (feint! MUST bluff sacrifice)
  • rd8# (b pins king, r cannot be taken)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:00 am 
Donor

Hassan's Diary.....(Well in his mind as I am not sure he writes...)

So I wake up after a really great nights sleep and I feel even stranger than I did after leaving the playing thing...

A good feeling and as if someone wants me stronger for things to come, I feel a large hand at work...

We have some breakfast and the drunk demands cooked food when our host has but fruit to offer. I thought it was only half-Orcs who were such bores. Maybe he has Orc blood in him?

After much delay we finally set off for the surface but for us to get out we must go down first. The group is lead by I think an elf in plater mail he has acquired from our host.

Down and down we go into a dank dark hole which arrives at a room with a Skeleton in the middle of a room. The Skeleton has been crushed and after spending some time looking around I spot a possible stone stomping trap in the middle of the room.

I decide to test some new found skills and climb around the edge of the room avoiding touching the floor. There are doors on the opposite side and I want to see if these trigger the stomping device.

We finally workout where the pressure pad is and all the party avoid the stomper. Beyond is a newly collapsed tunnel in one direction and a tunnel which we have to follow in the other. We realize now that we have no way of knowing which way is west. This is going to cause us problems.

Following the tunnel leads us to a silent water fountain which as we are examining the Elven chap gets bored and kicks open a door down an off shoot of a tunnel. He disappears into the darkness and we can hear a fight ensue.

Soon our party is attacked by flying creatures and after several minutes of dangerous fighting we prevail upon the creatures. But the price is high as I have now a full grown beard and some awful magic has advanced my age!!!

I wish I could say we had done more but there is a foul magic that slows our party and makes moving and working together like a large bowl of syrup...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:54 am 
Motor Mouth

Fedwren wrote:
I woke up expecting to be paying for my excesses of the night before but found myself curiously invigorated and clear headed. I only wish that I could always feel like this after such a night but I suppose that the pain serves to remind me that I am naught but a fool when it comes to drink.

It seems that our host has decided that we should be well kitted out for our journey away from this cursed place and so I have taken a look through the armoury they have here and selected a well fitting set of plate mail and a suitable balanced bastard sword. The strange thing is that it feels almost second nature to be wielding this implement and yet I have never trained beyond the long sword. In fact I feel better now than I have before. Curious.

Upon my return to our rooms I overheard a discussion between Tomric and Reggie, our host, indicating that we had slept for something close to two weeks! This does not fully explain my new found vigour and abilities but nothing about this place has made sense so far.

We left in something of a hurry this and made our way down a staircase to a room with a strange whispering voice, oh and a deadly trap which the brave fighter Hassan located in order that we may avoid the same fate that befell the dried skeleton in the centre of the room.

We explored further and before anybody could persuade him otherwisem the impetuous elf Lenquitar was running down a corridor to open a brightly coloured door. Inside he was set upon by several gargoyles, animates tone creatures the likes of which I have never seen before. My companions lept into action and soon I felt myself more ready for battle than ever. I closed for combat and with several strikes of my new sword I quickly despatched one of the beings. Before its body had fallen I heard a voice in my mind greeting me. With wonder I attempted to speak back to it using only my thought and I discovered that the sword given to me seems to be intelligent. It goes by the name of Slade and it has said it serves me by guiding my blows and using my strength to its fullest. I may also use the sword to levitate and Slade intimated that further power may be unlocked. Eager to test myself and Slade I rained blow after blow easily destroying the next gargoyle while my companions worked together to finish off the last two.

This has been a truly astonishing day and I must consider the consequences carefully. But for now we must continue onwards in an effort to escape back to normailty, if anything can be normal again.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:54 pm 
Right then ladies and gentlemen....time to dust off those weighty 1st edition tomes....

...Monday night AD&D is back with a vengeance.

I am expecting the following players tomorrow night...please acknowledge and confirm/deny as appropriate:

Helios
Altair the Vexed
Daremonai
bigmaddrongo
MJ1
Neek/Blitzkreig

Have I missed anyone?!?!?!?!?!?!? :(

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:10 pm 
Acknowledged and confirmed here.

Hadn't Jack rejoined us?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:50 pm 
No - he has withdrawn.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:03 am 
I'll be there.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:49 am 
Noise Maker

Confirmed!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:08 am 
Motor Mouth

Roger.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:48 am 
I'm in!

(Who's Roger?)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:36 pm 
Selune,

I feel so many things at the moment, it's difficult to know where to start...

First, I think I should apologise. Then certainly thank you.
So long underground, without your silver light to comfort me, had brought forth in me feelings of frustration and thoughts that perhaps you had abandoned us to our fate, deep within those mountains.
After our astonishing victory at the giant chess table, it seemed forces beyond your divine will were steering us - whether to persecute or aid us, I cannot tell. Nevertheless, we were shown the way by which we must leave, through dangers we had never before encountered (though somehow each granted the expertise with which to overcome them).
Ways were blocked, ways were opened, never with any certainty of travelling in the direction we were told - and then suddenly wonders were shown to us, and a most unexpected means of escape.

And here I must thank you, my lady. Whether it was by your direct intervention, or things you vicariously allowed to pass, my companions and I were given news of our families and friends. Who'd have known that in the dark, rank, depths of that place, such a comforting thing could exist. A room filled with food and light and the love of those familiar to us, arcanely created to serve the needs of those trapped in the mountain. Mirrors through we could talk to our loved ones.
Though I was both surprised and saddened to learn that such a long time has passed without our knowledge, and that I had been given up for dead, I am so grateful for the time I spent talking with my friends and family again. They know I am alive and safe, for now, and that makes me so happy. My faith is strengthened once again, as through this strange scrying device, my companions have learned of family members they must help, who otherwise may have died without us finding this room. Things seem to be moving again. My actions are once again shaping the world, intervening to prevent dreaded fates. I am able to do good despite personal predicaments.

I have but one regret. To learn that my passing was grieved and my life celebrated by those I love... I cannot begin to comprehend how that makes me feel... and now here we are, about to put ourselves in further danger, saving Tom's brother. We don't yet know how we are going to get out of this. Should I die here, after everything... would it not have been kinder to let my family's grief continue uninterrupted? Have I given them hope, only to have it stripped away again?

One thing I am certain of; the living dead will be put back to rest under your holy light, my lady, and those who raised them will suffer you, and those we came to help will be helped. I shall see to it, though it may mean my end.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:42 pm 
Out of Character:
Well done Helios...tis great to see a write up.....now if only your fellow gamers would follow suit!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:25 am 
Noise Maker

A note to leave in the mirrored room full of food that Tome wrote:
Note for whomever it may concern
This room appears to be magically restocked. The food and drink is hearty and good. The mirror around the room may be caused to scry on known persons, who will be able to see the scrier. Use the glowing orb to gain audible communication. The arcane sigil in the alcove appears to be a teleportation circle of sorts. Most likely one must concentrate on one's chosen destination and step in. If one has companions with you, best to do so simultaneously. I assume it will work from my studies, but as I write I have not tested the theory. Have hope!
Tomric Shearman, Enchanter.

Tom wrote:
Journal of Tomric Shearman II
Date - not established.
Puzzle: Aproximately two years have passed since we went into the dungeon. When did they pass?
    During the teleportations?
  • We went through a few magical portals on the way - perhaps we moved through time and space?
    During the sleep in Rigitalt's care?
    • More likely - we woke up with enhanced skills and experience.
Note - research postcognitive magic. Divine casters have access to necromantic divination, &c, &c - discuss with Mira (when she's in a good mood - ha!)

Escaped dungeon of lich. Suspect Rigitalt's help (again). Haul of scrolls - all good but using up swiftly. Need time to Write them into own book - doubt we'll get a break now, most likely more undead pirates to dispatch before we race off to the West coast and Fedwrun's worries.
(Why did they come with me? My brother is my concern, not theirs. I'm sick of being in charge, but these fellows seem to be too dull outside of a fight to act decisively.)
See maps - room beyond divine telportation/protective glyph (by Boccob, she took ages to figure that simple thing out - don't they teach them anything?). Arcane teleportation sigils on far side of room
Out of Character:
ANNOTATED DRAWING OF SIGIL

Successfully figured that rune elements V and VI meant modified copy of conjuration equation XI. With concentration, teleportation may be steered as per standard spell - success! (Hence able to write - ha ha.)
Scrying mirrors. Able to contact dad and Mistress Fil, and communicate through mirror - excellent item, magical effects evidently operate through remote scry-sensor (cf: Mira's turning of skeletal pirates), but non-portable. Imparted news of lich and princess (now Queen). Fil to consult high wizards. Excellent.
Dad angry and stupid (normal - no concept of power or planning), emotional surge from seeing father disapelled by blustering stupidity. Dad explained Tim taken captive by pirates, was setting up brainless expedition to rescue. Scried Tim - in wooden room, chained. Persuaded others to prepare to rescue Tim - Mira distintergrated two undead fiends in the room via the scrying, and through we went.
Fought and destroyed the undead fiends. Relatively well coordinated fight.
Ship of undead is magical, operates by command words unknown, calms seas in vicinty. Will continue to destination until new destination given - with Anilis and Baltathar (curious fellow mage found in hold of ship - regenerates, ageless, morbid due to death of mortal humans in social group), may be able to determine command words. Alternately, request Baltathar to teleport or otherwise transport use home to deliver Tim to Dad, then make all speed to Fedwrun's uncle (as promised).
Good to see Tim. He's impressed. Nice to be vindicated.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:41 am 
Motor Mouth

Fewren's Journal
By the Gods it is good to be back above ground in the open air, even in this place of death and corruption. Perhaps the sea air will cleanse some of the stink from this place while we travel.

So much has happened while we were in that accursed dungeon, but those are tales for the campfire or the inn where they can be suitably embellished in the retelling!

One tale I will record for its extreme curiosity. We found ourselves in a room from which we appeared to be able to see and speak to people from our own lives. It was using this arcane equipment that I discovered my uncle's illness and the invasion of his home by hobgoblins. I was struck by a plan upon witnessing Anilis verbally sparring with a comely lass from his childhood. I contacted my old mentor Erin and arranged for him to meet Anilis' young companion nad her associate. They will travel to my uncle's home and renderwhat aid they can. I fear that several valuable items may be 'removed' during this process but that will be small price to pay for the little family I have left.

And now we find ourselves the owners of a magical ship having liberated it from its abominable undead owners. The mages among us, including the interesting fellow discovered in the hold, seem to be unable to discern its operation so at present we are travelling wherever the ship will take us. Time for some fresh air and rest at last.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:45 pm 
Noise Maker

Ship's Log wrote:
Cursed Magic Ship, Sea of Fallen Stars
Notes by Tomric Shearman II.
Date - not established.

Took sightings on stars, and estimate we are headed almoswt due East, on a steady course, without tack. Assuming this cursed vessel set out from the Isthmus of Dragonmere, we're headed for the Pirate Isles - but I must take more sightings and discover the date so I may work out if we have passed Prespur, where we might hope to strike friendly land.
There is no steering this damned ship. Might we manage to fashion a lifeboat from the hull of her? I'm torn between discovering the secret of this vessel and taking it as my own and getting off sharpish.
This ship has a life of her own. The bottom is strewn with wrecks. From all accounts there are weird folk who dwell in the water, too. Next time I sail, I want it to be on my own terms.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 7 of 7   [ 105 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7