4th Edition 22%  22%  [ 4 ]
OD&D 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 18
 Post subject: Best D&D Edition
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:04 pm 
Motor Mouth

Medals: 1
Dungeonbowl Champion (1)
So, after the release and trial of D&D 4th Ed today what is your favorite an why?

Post subject: hi
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:16 pm 
An interesting question?

I like them all well except 2nd edition which was a patch work of rules.
Its incredibly hard to comment on 4th edition yet however once i have had a good read tonight i will post my initial thoughts.
However today was a lot of fun the game has clearly changed some in fundamental ways others are more subtle.
It was easy to pick up and play and thankfully there are a lot of player options which is what i was hoping for. The new edition favours team play and there skills and abilities are clearly designed to work together although you can pull of some fantastic individual manouvers.
My first thoughts are i would love to play it so that's a good sign.
Also today surprised me as i was expecting the worst from the game and the players most of which were young however some of there play was exceptional.
Anyway good thread will add more later.

Post subject: Re: hi
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:28 pm 
Motor Mouth

SeanDm wrote:
Also today surprised me as i was expecting the worst from the game and the players most of which were young however some of there play was exceptional.

Sean, I'm not sure that this is a very fair comment. It is fair enough to comment on a new system and to say that you expected the worst from it but to say that you expected the worst from your players, apparently because they were young, is uncalled for and rude.

I think that in future you should consider if what you are saying is suitable. This thread was started to compare iterations of D&D and not the relative merit of new players.

And now, to keep this on-topic, I prefer 3.X simply because this is the system I cut my teeth on, as it were. I have played 1st and find the progressions inflexible compared to the skill system of 3.X (but less complicated I suppose). I have now had a small chance to try 4E on both sides of the screen and I can't see any major problems with the system. It takes some time to get your head around the new minor/standard/move actions and the new at-will/encounter/daily powers but combat in particular seems to feel more dynamic with these powers thrown in. I don't know how stale it will start to feel once people settle into a standard routine of powers for the best results but I hope that the new options will keep the game feeling fresh for those that play it for a while to come.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:44 am 
Noise Maker

Um... OD&D isn't in your poll.

Personally, I'm liking 3.x best at the moment, because I'm most familiar with it these days. I've never felt comfortable with any edition of AD&D.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:49 am 
Hmmm - something to say on this!!!!

its impossible to vote on this poll - all of the editions are different games with the same name (corporate identity).
comparing 4th edition with 2nd is like comparing paranoia with cyberpunk!
each system has/had its own plusses and minuses.
I havent played 4th yet - it looks like a merchandising opportunity to me to real in the computer game playing munchkins and the fact that the introduction of these rules instigated a totally unjust and slap-dash hatchet like shoe horn butchery re-imagining of forgotten realms history has already put it in my bad books :(

I do, however love 3.5 for the fact that you have the opportunity to build the kind of character you always wanted to play.
2nd edition was not restrictive - if the player wanted his character to leap from the back of his swooping giant eagle and attempt to knock out the hill giant with a swinging sack full of gold - the DM had to come up with some checks on the fly and this created a very open, but irregular, style of game.
But, the game would become very fluid as a result.

3.5 is far more restictive in that whatever the player wants to attempt, there is a rule somewhere for everything! and the DM and players are expected to remember them all in order to keep the game fluid, constant and within rule continuity. this becomes restrictive and in turn slowed the game down loads.
I dont care how much of a talented DM you are (and i know loads) try finishing one combat round with 6 different, feat laden, shape changing, spell loaded, multiple attacking 20th level characters and 6 feat laden, shape changing, spell loaded multiple attacking NPCs (and their summoned hordes and magical buffs and items) in under 15 minutes with 3.5. unless you have a photographic memory, someone will always pull out some manouvre/combo/item/spell that requires looking up before their turn can be resolved.
but - after saying all that, i still prefer 3.5 for its shear scope.
*sigh*
daz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:35 am 
I'm not the most experienced player but I found 4th ed to be disappointing in Pete's game. All the skills were so combat focused (which maybe the pre gen characters) that I just didn't feel my Cleric was anything but a fighter using odd skills. I like that combat is stream lined and simpler, but I would of liked more non-offensive skills, but I suppose the adventure was designed with everyone trying to be the hero in mind. But then removing the bard may imply the focus has gone more to aggressive play than support characters.

I think a lot of the arguments against 3.5 (too many books etc.) will apply to 4th ed soon as well. People will always try to break the system and want to play different classes and the further we go along this edition the closer we will get to the current 3.5 state, no matter what efforts are put in place to avoid it. It is the nature of nerds after all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:25 am 
How many different skills could you use during combat in 3.5?

While a lot of the non-combat skills are missing from 4th ed, once a fight starts and you don't have time to craft items, divine the future or whatever, you have a lot more options of what you can do. It should be remembered that the module you played before was pretty much designed to be combat-centric, and I personally can't think of any way that a 1st level 3.x cleric could have contributed to the situation without getting his hands dirty, except for a handful of healing spells, which the 4e cleric was just as capable of using (Healing Word once per encounter over three encounters comes out the same as a first level cleric with 1 base spell, one bonus spell and one domain spell, not counting 0-level)

That said, I still prefer the feel of 3.x for now, because I see it (rightly or wrongly) as having that much more depth as a world-building tool. Maybe that will change with time, maybe it won't - we'll see.

Post subject: hi again
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:55 am 
I agree with your points.

And yes you are right my words were poorly chosen about the younger players.

So i appologise and hold my hands up

However as i said it was fun and some of there play was exceptional.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:29 pm 
Noise Maker

Dot Agumon wrote:
...snip...

I think a lot of the arguments against 3.5 (too many books etc.) will apply to 4th ed soon as well. People will always try to break the system and want to play different classes and the further we go along this edition the closer we will get to the current 3.5 state, no matter what efforts are put in place to avoid it. It is the nature of nerds after all.

I have it on fairly good authority (from the ex-marketing manager of Hasbro in charge of WotC, who used to work with me in my previous job) that the breaking of the game with new rules supplements is deliberate - so that a new edition can be produced to 'fix' the brokenness.

After all, TSR died out largely due to making a game that could be played forever without additional expenditure.

(BTW - still not voting till OD&D is included.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:08 pm 
Motor Mouth

Altair-the-Vexed wrote:
(BTW - still not voting till OD&D is included.)

Admin rights have been exercised and OD&D has been forcibly added to the poll.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:35 am 
I am assuming this thread means AD&D not D&D........where it is talking about the editions with the exception of OD&D :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:21 am 
Noise Maker

Nobby wrote:
I am assuming this thread means AD&D not D&D........where it is talking about the editions with the exception of OD&D :roll:

OD&D being "Original D&D", or edition zero.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:11 am 
Motor Mouth

http://www.reallifecomics.com/archive/080609.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:44 pm 
1st edition AD&D gets my vote.

It was the first system I ever played and I was very young and totally hooked.

There was not a huge amount of overly complicated rules and uber characters were unheard of. Any characters reaching 9th level or above were considered almost godlike. Parties encountering creatures of Ogre calibre and above always put fear into the players, and unless a sudden death occurence, creatures of that size lasted more than 1-2 rounds.
More recent versions 3.x and after seemed to boost characters to higher level too quickly and players did not always play to their character strengths/skill/feats.

Strangely enough I think I remember more stats about 1st edition creatures than any other.
I cannot rule out that nostalgia plays a large part in my choice.
I still like to play all versions and used to have an extensive collection but donated them to a worthy cause (SVsteve)
happy gaming :roll:

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ]