Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: 40k battle Imperial Guard verses Space marines
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:28 pm 
Noise Maker

Medals: 2
League Champion (1)
KO Cup (1)
Lord Gabriels force in his words:
So the points value had been set and I sat down to write my army...An hour later I still had nothing, the build is completely different on what I'm used to! The weapons, although similar, work if a different way as does the game. It doesn't help with the threat of knowing you face Guard Tanks :/

So I finally managed get myself focused and started with what I had:

Blood Angels Tactical Squad:
386 points
Armed with Missile Launcher, Flamer (chainsword for the captain) and Krak Grenades, to help deal with those tanks

Blood Angels Terminator Squad: 315 points
All armed with power fists and storm bolters (the sergeant swapped his out for power sword)

Now I chose to borrow Ragnars Terms as mine are unpainted...so that's the full extent of my army...lucky there was a Space Wolf ship close by!!

Space Wolves Wolf Lord:
116 points
Armed with Power fist, bolter, conversion field and bionic leg

Space Wolves Blood Claw Pack:
325 points
5x chain swords, 1x power sword, 2x power axe, 2x power fist and 3x plasma pistol

(Now I can't take credit for this squad as it's one Ragnar had already made, it's very odd to me having so many different weapons but with the way combat works in 2nd it's not daunting like it is in 6th)

Space Wolves Long Fangs: 357 points
2x Missile Launcher, 1x Lasconnon and 1x Multi Melta

So army complete I headed to the game with a plan in my head...kill tanks

BlackPowder - French

Last edited by Ragnar The Destroyer on Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:17 am 
Noise Maker

League Champion (1)
KO Cup (1)
Just went through the victory points and Lord Gabriel was owed another one point for the Chimera he blew. When I broke it into the two Combat Squads I was owed a point also making no real difference but worth going through and getting it right.

BlackPowder - French

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:14 pm 
Blood Bowl Bounties Coordinator

Everytime I read this thread I feel myself being drawn ever closer to that Iron Warriors army.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:33 pm 
Vocal Minority

gazza wrote:
Everytime I read this thread I feel myself being drawn ever closer to that Iron Warriors army.

You soooooo know you want to! :wink: :lots of love:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:03 pm 
Blood Bowl Bounties Coordinator

Forgeworld style :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:05 pm 
Noise Maker

League Champion (1)
KO Cup (1)
So a battle overview. It was Lord Gabriels first bigger battle with 2nd ed rules so obviously inexperience was a massive factor and I believe he went away knowing what he wanted to change and how better to use his troops but its worth going through it.
So lets start with the marines.
With it taking 3 turns to even get into a shooting position something must have been wrong, the battle could have been that length. I suppose equally you could argue its known how long the game was and the turns were used to get into prime position, but in this situation I don't believe this to be the case. The Terminators were wasted, positioned on the right side with a long run against a lascannon firing every turn, in any addition it was a big ask. Long Fangs running though dense woods with move or fire weapons just seemed crazy to me also.
My suggestion was to swap them, put the Long fangs on the right where they could take out the lascannon and then lock any tank movement out of that side of the board, also they could have started to hammer the building my command squad were hidden behind to try to either destroy it (yes you can destory buildings) or push my command squad out from behind it (remember the mission was to kill my Psyker). Multimelta tends to be more suitable for a tactical squad rather than a long range hitter squad like Long Fangs so another possible swap there too. The terminators could then move through the wood in place of the long fangs thus taking no damage, if it was them charging through the gate my command squad would have been in serious trouble.
The Blood Angel combat squads, I believe were the wrong way round, the squad with the flamer would have been more suited to moving through the wood and the Missile launcher group would then of had the chance to set overwatch on the left long run before any tanks could arrive thus making it very difficult for them to come in. The plan with the Blood claws was sound but shooting at the Ratlings was a waste of time over grenades but that was just a lesson learnt.
Biggest problems were flexibility everything was on foot and had to run to any objective or to reach any required hth its highly unlikely for a guardsman to wanna tangle with a space marine hth. Even one Rhino (which we do have painted) carrying either the terminators, blood claws or the tactical squad would have been interesting, also an assault squad was another option over the blood claws or bikes unfortunately neither are painted.

So how was I ....Well I think I was over thinking and playing how I normally would against a more experienced opponent to start, then got over confident and cocky by turn 3. The Lascannon crews proved to be in great positions but I was limited on places to deploy them so it was just logic to be honest. 1 didn't even fire :shock:. I spent most of the battle pretending I had the high ground mission :lots of love: rather than getting on with my actual mission. The first chimera I bought on should have dropped the blue squad off to move through the ruins and try to take out the Wolf lord quickly followed by the second chimera. Moving my Russ to charge range of any space marine with a power fist is stupid in anyones book (even though in the end it gave me the winning vp), I was hoping to take more marines out and my frag defenders to be a bit more effective, I also didn't realise the ones with the power fists were hiding in the ruin. Pay attention... :roll:. Although the Ratlings were effectively destroyed at the end of the battle they were great through out, the position they were in was perfect, taking out a combat squad and getting the attention of 10 other marines was great, they were a real thorn in Lord Gabriels side all game.

A quick tip:if you get to set up second its worth going round to your opponents side and having a good look where everything is and what heavy weapons can see before you set up also remember that in 2nd ed things can set up hidden.

I hope this thread has been an insight into my age old 2nd ed world and I hope people can begin to see why I prefer these rules than new ones.

BlackPowder - French

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:52 pm 
Noise Maker

League Champion (1)
KO Cup (1)
Lord Gabriels overview write up.

So as soon as I had taken my first turn I knew what I had messed up, everything in the wrong position, but things were place for a reason...

My game plan was to swing the terminators round to the right to take on the command squad and destroy any tanks that may appear on that side, the blood claws lead by the wolf lord would do the same on the opposite side. The long fangs were to control the centre of the board (the way the kills we're had split the boards into 3 sections essentially) if Ragnar decided to avoid my terminators or my blood claws then they would have to face the long fangs or vice versa. The 1st combat squad was going to be a distraction unit moving towards a different objective and the 2nd would serve as another target.

However this proved a lot harder than it sounded, instead of just having the long fangs stay put I moved them into the forest, which essentially cost me 3 turns (the whole game only saw 2 shots fired from the whole squad) so that was mistake 1...the next was leaving terminators in the open, it seems even tactical dreadnought armour needs protection in 2nd edition (especially against a slick crew...or a sick crew as it's should be known!)

It would have been a write off if Ragnar had played safe and kept his tanks away (which would have been possible) and just set them in over watch, but I consider it a lesson learned, it's a very different game to 6th edition, not really a rule set I can suggest for anyone who isn't playing with a friend, but the rules allow for a much more open army (the codex isn't split into slots, you just take an army) and it creates a much better narrative to games.

To sum up, I really enjoyed the game, the additions like secret mission and strategy cards just add a lot into the game, like faking out your opponent. It's much more tactical as well in my opinion, you can't just run across a board. I have come away with a much better understanding of the game which is what we set out to do, and already have started working on my army for next time, so Ragnar better be scared :P

Thanks for the game dude, and the write up :D

BlackPowder - French

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:54 pm 
Vocal Minority

Absolutely fantastic write up chaps... Got me all nostalgic for the old White Dwarf battle reports from my yoof! :wink: :lots of love:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:58 pm 
Noise Maker

League Champion (1)
KO Cup (1)
lots of love that was the plan ;)

BlackPowder - French

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 24 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2