Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 24 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: 40k battle Imperial Guard verses Space marines
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:01 pm 
Noise Maker

Medals: 2
League Champion (1)
KO Cup (1)
So tomorrow night I have booked a game with Lord Gabriel, as always this is a 2nd edition game I thought it may be interesting to do a battle report for it, if your not interested please press back now :lots of love:

I'll be playing Imperial Guard (Tallarn) and Lord Gabriel will be playing as Blood angels and Space Wolves. We have agreed on 1500 points.

So heres what I took which tbh is based around what I own. Need to paint more.

Command squad 150pts
Captain, armed with Claw of tigers, plasma pistol with targetter
2 man Missile laucher crew with frag and krak missiles.
2 Guardsmen each with Grenade launcher loaded with frag and krak grenades

Champion Psyker (level 2) armed with laspistol. 70pts

Blue Imperial guardsman squad. 266pts
Sergeant armed with Plasma pistol, sword and frag grenades.
6 Guardsmen armed with lasguns and frag grenades.
1 Guardsman armed with Melta gun and frag grenades.
2 man Autocannon crew.
Mounted in a Chimera armed with Multi-laser in the turret, Heavy bolter in the hull, storm bolter and auto launchers loaded with frag grenades.

Additional unit Leman Russ Battle tank.
215pts
Two heavy bolters in each side mount, Lascannon in the hull,Battle cannon mounted on the turret and auto launchers loaded with frag defender rounds.

Red Imperial guardsman squad
280pts
Sergeant armed with Plasma pistol, sword and frag grenades.
6 Guardsmen armed with lasguns and frag grenades.
1 Guardsman armed with Plasma gun and frag grenades.
2 man Missile launcher crew with frag and krak missiles.
Mounted in a Chimera armed with Multi-laser in the turret, Heavy bolter in the hull, storm bolter and auto launchers loaded with frag grenades.

Additional unit Leman Russ battle tank
230 pts
Heavy bolter and heavy flamer in side mounts, lascannon in the hull, Battle cannon mounted on the turret and auto launchers loaded with frag defender rounds.
Super charged engines.

Green Imperial guardsman heavy squad 170 pts
3 2 man Lascannon crews
Slick crew

Additional unit Ratling snipers
105 pts
Armed with Needle sniper rifle
Dead eye shot

I opted not to take the demolisher Leman Russ as I prefered to take a normal Russ and the Ratlings, with the dead eye shot skill (rerolling misses) and the auto wound toxins of the needle rifle these guys well placed will be a really pain for any marines moving around. Knowing that Lord Gabriels access to vehicles will be limited but very solid what he can take the Lascannons with slick crew (gets a second shot if the first shot hits)should lock them down or take them out hopefully the latter.
Not knowing what mission I will receive I have had to take a flexible force. Any questions please ask.

BlackPowder - French

Last edited by Ragnar The Destroyer on Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: 40k battle Imperial Guard verses Space marines
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:04 pm 
Donor

I know what none of this means, but I reckon 40k looks well cool!

I would certainly be interested in seeing a game sometime if you ever play at the club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Black Powder: AWI Redcoats
Guildball: Fishermen
Saga: Vikings

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:10 pm 
Noise Maker

League Champion (1)
KO Cup (1)
Well 2nd ed is well cool :lots of love:
We are hoping to get some Necromunda played and the core rules are basicly the same. So hopefully you can have a look at that. Just think that but bigger.

BlackPowder - French

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:13 pm 
Donor

Sounds like a plan!

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Black Powder: AWI Redcoats
Guildball: Fishermen
Saga: Vikings

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:14 pm 
Blood Bowl Bounties Coordinator

Are the units points and weaponry at 2nd Edition costs or is it just the rules you use that are?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:10 am 
Noise Maker

League Champion (1)
KO Cup (1)
Points and weaponry are 2nd ed costs yeah. If i used any edition it would probably unbalance the game as the rules are very different. Why do you ask, what are you thinking?

BlackPowder - French

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:25 am 

No reason really. I am tempted to try 2nd Edition and with Matt and Munson looking at 40k I am tempted to find room for a cheeky Iron Warriors Grand Company (although this is probably a long, long, long way off yet :wink: ). After playing Warmahordes though the thought of going to a dumbed down game doesn't interest me yet I love the whole idea of the 30/40k universe. I know what I want from it but i'm not sure there is anything that meets that criteria.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:41 am 
Noise Maker

League Champion (1)
KO Cup (1)
Weaponry crosses over and modifications are easy enough.

BlackPowder - French

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:49 pm 
Noise Maker

League Champion (1)
KO Cup (1)
So Wednesday night saw the battle played, first things first I set up the board with the age old rule of "the more terrain the better the game" during this set up I incorporated all the possible missions, making them all clear before the game started and the missions issued.
Game note: Missions in 2nd edition come on cards which are given out, they can be secret or shown depending on player choice, it is possible for both players to have the same mission but more likely they both have a different one. For reference this is the possible mission selection and what actions you gain extra victory points if forfilled, Guerrilla war: Killing troops in hand to hand combat. Witch hunt: Killing enemy psyker.The Assassins: Killing army commander.Dawn Raid: Getting squads in enemy deployment zone Take and hold: Controlling an objective at the end of the game High Ground: Controlling high ground at the end of the game Engage and destroy:Killing squads,vehicles and characters

So I made clear (with small Imperial flags) the 3 high points for the high ground mission, placed some Blood Angel wreckage in the middle of the board to act as the objective and set out deployment zones. Lord Gabriel picked his last few wargear cards for his army and I dished out the starting cards made up of 2 Startegy cards each, one mission card each and psychic abilities for all the Psykers. At this point Lord Gabriel announced he hadn't took a Psyker (my how I grinned). So I dealt my two Adeptus powers and eagerly looked to see what I pulled......but you'll find out later as at this point its a secret :lots of love:.

So next we moved on to choosing deployment zones Lord Gabriel won the roll and knowing my strategy rating was a very poor 2 to the Space Marines 5 meaning I set up first and the first turn roll being d6 + strategy rating I was probably having second turn too. Here came my first stroke of brilliance/luck I had in my hand the Strategy cards "Brilliant Strategy" and "Special Issue" with much glee I chucked both on the table, Special Issue gave my Commander a free random piece of wargear which ended up being a displacer field (3+ save unmodified 8)). Brilliant Strategy was a D6 roll added to my Strategy rating, I rolled a 4 taking my rating to 6 :D. Lord Gabriel then played one of his Strategy Cards "Traitor" which cancels the effect of a lot of Strategy Cards including Brilliant Strategy :cry:. lots of action and the game hasn't started yet lots of love.
Then we moved to the deployment, having the lower strategy rating I had to set up first, I held all vehicles and squads inside them off the board using the reserve rule even though it sacrificed my preliminary bombardment ability of my Russ's, better that than them going up it in the first turn. My heavy squad split in to 3 separate batteries to try and cover any long runs or clear ground should any marines be bold enough to come that way.
My Command Squad set up hidden behind the Industrial silo in my deployment zone and I turned deployment over to a head scratching Lord Gabriel. He proceeded to place the 2 battle packs of blood claws, wolf lord and a combat squad of Blood Angel tactical marines on his left flank behind the hill, radio mast and ruined building. Just to the right of his center I was suprised to see his heavies set in the wooded area preparing to advance :? along with the other combat squad of tactical marines which also contain a missile launcher. Then on his left behind a concrete emplacement wall he placed his terminators looking ready to make a dash for the woods across the front of one of my Lascannons :D. He finished, which just left my Ratlings which have infiltrate (placed after both sides have deployed) the tall ruined building on my right with plenty of windows was way to tempting so they set up hidden ready to snipe some marines.
Battle length dice decided the game was a full 5 turns :shock: and then the first turn dice was roll, Lord Gabriel won and chose to go first no suprises there.

Making a cuppa and will continue in a few minutes :mrgreen:

BlackPowder - French

Last edited by Ragnar The Destroyer on Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:03 pm 
Motor Mouth

Medals: 1
KO Cup (1)
Looks well good.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:12 am 
Noise Maker

League Champion (1)
KO Cup (1)
Space Marine Turn 1 All the marines ran (double move no shooting) apart from the Blood Angels combat squad on the right who hid behind the hill fearing the Ratling snipers. The Terminators made a move for the forest, the other Blood Angel combat squad and the Long Fangs moved deeper in to the wood in the center and the Blood claws with the Wolf lord raced in to the ruin looking to out flank the Ratlings. No Shooting, No Hand to Hand and with no Psykers the Psychic phase was a non event and there were to be a fair few of non event psychic phases.
Imperial Guard turn 1 I placed the Chimera containing my blue squad and the Leman Russ that was standard (no heavy flamer no super charged engines) along my board edge to the right of my center. I then set overwatch with the Ratlings and two Lascannons protecting the central run. Both the Russ and Chimy came racing on a combat speed, the Russ could just see the tail end of the blood claws and prepared for a shot.
The terminators on my left were in the open in front of a lascannon :twisted: but everything else was well covered. I took my shot at the Terminators and rolled a miss, :evil: so i then turned to the Russ, heavy bolter missed, side sponsens couldn't see so that left the battle cannon, placing the template over the nearest Blood claw the Russ could see the template covered 2 marines in total and the shell hit home killing both. :twisted:
No hand to hand moved it swiftly to the Psychic phase, rolling the single d6 (only 1 Psyker on the battlefield) I dished out the warp cards picking up any odd cards as it was my turn. I turned my eyes to the abilities I had been dealt earlier, The Gate: 1 force card to cast, opens a gate between 2 points within 18 inches of the caster, models passing through the gate are moved instantly to the other end of the gate expending no movement and may continue moving. The gate may be charged through, it may not be used by vehicles. In play till nullified or casting psyker dies or chooses to end it(in the psychic phase). Ligntning Arc: 3 force cards to cast, model within line of site is struck by a strength 6 hit causing d3 wounds, if the model dies the arc will jump to another model within 6 inches to a maximum of 6 times. Having only one 1 force card in my hand and no models being within 24 inches of me or in line of sight Lightning Arc wasn't much use at the moment. So I played The Gate placing one end right next to my command squad and the other at the high ground point in the middle of the board. this ended my first turn. My emotion at this point was :)

Space marine turn 2: All the Marines ran again, the blood angels on my right raced up the hill, the Ratling snipers who were sat in overwatch opened up and killed 2 of the squad but space marine resolve kept them from being shaken. Again with no shooting, no hand to hand and no Psykers his turn was over.

Imperial Guard turn 2 The Chimy and Russ on the board moved, the Chimy made for the central hill and the Russ moved down the front of the building on my right towards the Blood Claws and Wolf Lord everything else remained where it was.
The snipers shot again and killed another 2 Blood Angels the remaining one keeping his head and showed no fear. The Lascannon again opened up on the Terminators this time it hit and killed, calling "slick crew" I used the ability (If they score a hit with the first shot the crew reload and refire with amazing efficiency, fire again) and they got another hit and another terminator fell, but the marines seemed set to achieve their mission on that day and remain unshaken.

No hand to hand and the psychic phase was a non event due to The Gate being in play and lightning arc being out of range. At this stage of the game I'm feeling :P

Finish this off tomorrow. :D

BlackPowder - French

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:39 am 

Looks a really colourful battle, just missing some Iron Warriors imo :wink: .

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:39 pm 
Noise Maker

League Champion (1)
KO Cup (1)
Space Marine Turn 3: The Blood claw packs went their separate ways one pack moving on to target the Ratlings and the other along with the Wolf lord consolidated in the ruins. The remaining Blood Angel in the center (armed with a flamer) ran towards the Ratlings location looking for some vengeance. The Long fangs and other Blood Angel squad moved up to the edge of the wooded area in the middle of the board finally in a position to shoot but with the heavies being move or shoot that would have to wait till turn 4. The terminators continued on their journey towards the Imperial guard line. Again not shooting, hand to hand or psychic action. Its worth noting that this could be his last turn and not a single shot fired yet, some thing for discussion later, for now on with the game.

Imperial Guard turn 3:Placing the other Russ on the left of my board edge coming in to aid finishing off the Terminators, the Red Squad Chimera was also placed on my board edge then repeated the route of the first Chimy. The first Chimy swang round the hill in the center out of sight of the deadly Long fangs and added more fire power to the attempt to finish the terminators off. The Leman Russ continued down the front of the ruined building on the right just managing to swing round to bring guns to bear on one of the Blood Claw packs. My Command group stayed where it was, it was basically suicide going through the gate at this time. The Blue squad chimera struggled with the Terminators armour and none died but the heavy bolter in hull jammed up in my efforts leaving the gunner the job of unjamming it next turn :( .The Russ however had better results bringing 2 more terminators crashing down, the remaining one held fast and passed his test, the Russ was blocking line of sight for the lascannon so he survived for another turn.
The Red Squad Chimy opened up on the long fangs but due to the dense forest cover it only managed to kill the captain. The Russ on my right opened up with the lascannon and battle cannon killing 2 of them, not as much of a blood bath as I'd hoped but 2 more gone, again the passed their break test.
No hand to hand and Psychic phase came and went with little happening. My mood at this time was :mrgreen:.
Space Marine turn 4 Watch out here comes some actual action...lots of love. Pointing at the Blood Claws in the ruin along with the Wolf lord, Lord Gaberial announced he was charging my Russ. They moved in to close combat and he continued with his other movement. The other Blood claws moved round and could now just see the Ratlings. The Long fangs held ready to take a shot at the chimera in the open. Blood angels sat in the wood fearing range to the gate and failing a charge. The lone terminator moved up singing a lonely song of death. That done we moved on to shooting, with preemptive glee Lord Gaberial announce he was firing his Multimelta at my Chimera still containing a full squad of guardsmen. He hit the turret and with a massive bang the ammo stored on board exploded sending the turret flying off towards the Long Fangs but fell to ground well short. The explosions continued through the machine and no one survived, 3 crew a Chimy and 10 guardsmen lost in a single shot :cry:.
The Blood claws opted to shoot at the Ratlings but the hard cover saved the lot from any damage. Attention then turned to the hand to hand combat with the Leman Russ, before it started I activated my frag defender rounds bursting above the tank and showering the surrounding area with shrapnel they took out 2 standard blood claws, but then came the hand to hand combat, the Wolf Lord and one of the Blood claw were equipped with power fists which smashed straight though the hull for a total of 3 damage. An explosion ripped through the tank body which then ignited the fuel and in turn the ammo with possible the biggest bang ever the tank went up big time, everything in 3 inchs took d6 strength 10 hits. The Blood Claws had no chance and were blown away, but as the fire and wreckage cleared much to my dismay the Wolf Lord wiped the blood from his nose and took his attention to the Ratlings, after needing to save 6 hits he saved 5 to take just 1 wound...... :shock: :cry:
With hand to hand over, Psychic was done and a much better turn for the space marines.

Imperial Guard turn 4 With an element of panic I disembarked the blue squad from their chimera knowing they could shoot at the tactical squad in the woods. the remaining Russ moved the bear minimum to have a another shot at the remaining terminator, the Ratlings moved down to the far end of the ruin hoping to get the Wolf Lord now he was alone. The Russ finished off the Terminator in the Shooting phase an the combined fire power of the chimera and squad took out a total of 3 marines but yet again they held their ground. The Ratlings took some pop shots but struggled to get any results. No Hand to hand and nothing happening in the Psychic phase that was that. It was time for the last go...

BlackPowder - French

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:03 pm 
Noise Maker

League Champion (1)
KO Cup (1)
Space Marine Turn 5 The remaining 2 Blood Angels went for it and announce charge through the gate, it was measured and they just managed to make contact with the squad ganging up on the closest guardsman. Long fangs waited ready to fire at one of my lascannon batteries. The remaining 3 Blood claws moved up closer to the Ratlings and that was that. Shooting saw one of the long fang missile launchers kill one of the lascannon crew but the other was ok to fight on alone. Remembering they had grenades the Blood Claws decided flushing the Ratlings out was the best bet throwing them up 2 levels the grenades killed 2 and they broke falling as far back into the ruin as they could. In Hand to Hand the two marines made short work of the one guardsman but that was it for Lord Gabriels last turn.

Imperial Guard turn 5 Charging my command squad into hand to hand to avenge the death of their comrade I was left with very little else to do. The Leman Russ ran down some chainlink fence and the chimera managed to get its guns on the Long Fangs. Shooting did bring down another Long fang but that was that with shooting. In the hand to hand my commander made short work of one of the marines using his Claw of tigers to parry thus improving the result for him. But the remaining one still didn't break.
The Ratlings remained broken and the battle ended.

Well who won? I will list the units and the ending condition and how many points they give to the opponent and after that we will look at the mission cards.
Space marines
Terminators, destoryed, 4vps
Long Fangs, above 50% remaining 0vps
Blood angels Tactical squad, below 50 % remaining, 2 vps
Blood Claws, Below 50% remaining, 2 vps
Wolf Lord, still alive, 0vps

That gives me 8 vps

Imperial Guard
Leman Russ, Destroyed, 3 vps
Leman Russ, Operational, 0vps
Ratlings, Broken, 2vps
Command Squad, Above 50% 0vps
Heavy Squad, Above 50%, 0vps
Blue Squad, Above 50%, 0vps
Chimera, operational, 0vps
Red Squad, destroyed, 2vp
Chimera, destroyed, 1vp

That gives Lord Gabriel 8 vps

Attention turned to the mission cards for a make or break decision
Lord Gabriel turned over Witch hunt, my Psyker was all well so no points.
I revealed mine to show Assassins, his Wolf lord lived :( but residing at the bottom of the card was a secondary objective if his commander had taken a wound I collected 1 vp. :D :twisted: :lots of love:.

Obviously a few days have passed since the game and I have a few concerns that on the night the vps for squads were not correct as the combat and battle pack squads should have been calculated individual and not as a 10 man squad and my base squads in chimeras have a question over them concerning vps which I am trying to get to the bottom. That said great fun and lots learnt I'll be doing a tactical overview etc after dinner. Hope if a tiny bit of enjoyment that we had comes across in the reading of this then my job is done.

BlackPowder - French

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:20 pm 

Really good read mate, am liking the sound of this 2nd Edition lark :wink:

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 24 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next