Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: kill team playtest
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 11:42 am 
Vocal Minority

ok so last night saw the first proper playtest of the killteam ship, and although we were 1 player down it all went pretty well. Considering a general lack of 40k experience we muddled through and actually had some fun, and the feedback was great, so i thought i'd do a little write up to give you guys who wern't playing an idea of what went on.

ok so bob was playing space 'germans' marines and rolled highest so he got to deploy first choosing the cargo bay,(secret mission was to be the first player to get onto the bridge.) then gazza playing the ork horde deployed choosing the power room area to start in, (secret mission kill 4 crew members) then adam turned up a little late and deployed last into the med bay area (secret mission was to obtain the relic and escape with it via an escape pod). with my controlling team stuck on the bridge till the alarm was raised it was game on....

so bob being bob saw some crew members to shoot and proceeded to move towards the bridge and incinerated one of the crew, but didnt have quite enough movement to get the rest of his guys around the corner, meanwhile over near the power room gazza was busy 'trying' to open a door for most of his turn and working out which models were which. adam having worked out where he needed to go sent a couple of guys after the lonely crewman guarding the med bay, and proceeded to fail to wound with his first shots, only later did we all realise that one of his weapons was ap5 and the crewman was actually just slumped against the wall dead. :oops:
anyway on my turn, my guys were stuck on the bridge so all i could do was move some crew about so i sent a couple towards the power room 'to check out the strange noises' and sent one charging into bobs flamer guys, well needless to say that didnt turn out very well, but he did get in the way somewhat.

turn 2 and bob started moving closer to the bridge covering the angles as he went looking out for more threats! gazza finally found his mark and managed to open the door to engineering and proceeded to shoot(badly) at the lone crewman a few inches behind the door. he then decided he was gonna get the guy in the power room itself as that was "an orky thing to do!" not quite realising he was waiting with his heavy flamer in hand aimed at the doorway. luckily for gazza his orks couldnt open that door and he finished his go by charging into the engineering bay and chomping on the lone crewman. adam down at the med bay area was heading towards his secret objective in the chapel when he spotted a couple of crewmen and promptly loaded some 'special deathwatch ammo' and slaughtered one, knocking the other one down, he then charged in to boot him in the face and finish the job. Next he moved his "special door opener melta guy" toward the door into the power room, and rolled a 1, whooosh, hiss, nothing. :lots of love:
on my turn i moved up the sneaky crewman that was hiding in plain sight from bob, shooting as i went failing to get him in charge distance. but yet another obstacle between bob and his secret objective. I also moved the remaining crew towards gazza's orks in an effort to aid the crewman in the power room.

turn 3 and bob wasnt having much luck, with the lone crewman taking several shots before he went down, meaning bob could only move up slightly before TRYING to curbstomp him off the table. ending up less than 8 inches from his secret objective. gazza's go and he finally saw the two crew rushing in his direction promptly rolling a shedload of dice before realising just how bad orks are at shooting, however the shedload was just enough and two more crew were gone. leaving the lone guy in the power room, so after shooting the door with everything he had left he realised how 'ard' doors are and sent his meganob over to open it with his powerklaw, success and then his remaining boys charged in, whooosh went the flamer and down went two of them, the following close combat didnt go much better with the heavy flamer guy dancing round the orks like he was invincible.
on adams go he was having a quiet tour of the chapel area picking up his objective and still not learning how to open the door between him and gazza, on my turn being how he was the only crewman left i thought id have a pop back at gazzas orks and oooops, total fail! On the plus side gazza declared that his secret mission was complete, and asked how to turn off the power as that was an 'orky thing to do' (he wanted to see what was behind prize door number 1 in the tunnels.) :shock: so with the crew all dead the alarm was raised and i finally got to move my kill team off the bridge, with my assault cannon termy blowing away one of bobs flamer guys, i decided to charge him with my 7 assault marines(yes my sargent has a jump pack so they are core for me :wink: ) bobs overwatch didnt do too much managing to knock one assault marine down and setting another 4 on fire, and the actual assault didnt go much better with the boys only taking out the flamer guy but yet again bob was stuck mere inches from his objective.

turn 4 and the stalemate continued with bob only taking out 1 further assault marine and wounding my sargent.
gazza finally got to turn off the power and reveal his mystery prize, drumroll please,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,. oh its a bloody great carnifex (that heads towards/ charges the closest player each turn) :lots of love: so the rest of gazza's turn was trying to make sure adam was closest to the fex showing the deathwatch how to open doors, before loosing 1 boy to adams overwatch fire and a couple more in the assault. on the other side of the board he was busy running the killa kan, the meganob and his boyz up towards the battle outside the bridge, adams turn comprised of: realising he actually had to get his objective marker to the escape pods some 30 inches across the board, with a couple of doors in the way he though better of it so instead went and dispatched all but one of the closest group of orks, leaving only the painboy between him and the rather annoyed carnifex. on my turn i thought i should thin out the oncoming orks, taking careful aim with my assault cannon termy and missing! :oops: the melee with bobs guys wasnt going much better, i managed to put out the flames and wound his leader before taking a few wounds myself, luckily for me my guys wern't going anywhere and 3 of them decided to lay down in the middle of the fight and block poor bob in some more.
the angry carnifex got to move some more and heading towards the deathwatch killteam that were now closest, ending up just out of range of the elite marines.

turn 5 and bob was finally getting the upper hand in the close combat stakes dispatching all but 2 of the assault marines including the veteran sargent (if this wasnt just a friendly it would have earnt him an extra experience point) and finally consolidating his possition by moving up some of his marines from the back. gazzas turn saw his painboy take down one of adams marines with his power klaw,and finally find his mark blowing my assault termy to kingdom come, before running in to block bobs route to the bridge once more with the killa kan, adams turn saw him dispatch the painboy and then reluctantly stay put due to the large purple threat just around the corner. on my turn i managed to crawl my downed assault marine out of harms way leaving bob facing the killa kan and a lone assault marine, who finally managed to overcome bobs leader who decided to have a nap in the middle of the melee, my heavies on the bridge only managed to take down one of theoncoming orks between them, leaving 9 to go.
the carnifex moved ponderously close to the deathwatch kill team but was still out of charge range.

turn 6; bobs turn didnt go all that well, failing to penetrate the kan by shooting only gaining a glancing hit, he finally managed to dispatch my remaining assault marine but was stuck on the wrong side of the kan. gazza's turn saw him firing wildly at the two heavies on the bridge causing them to both fall down, rushing in to capitalize he managed to dispatch one in close quarter but failed his other charge roll. adams turn saw him blowing chuncks out of the carnifex but little else. my turn was spent rolling over my remaining heavy and leaving my assault marine on the floor out of harms way. the fex didnt do much at all this turn.

turn 7; and bob finally managed to find a chink in the kans armour, at which point the kan detonated taking out another of bobs marines, moving up to find a wall of orks between him and the bridge there was a short scuffle that didnt go either way. gazza's turn saw him jumping up and down on the remaining heavy on the bridge leaving him as the only player left on the bridge, meaning victory if he held out for just 1 more turn. adams go, and the deathwatch did their thing killing the carnifex with hellfire rounds and retaining their honour.

shame we had run out of time by this point and we decided to call it as a win for gazza! :shock: :shock: :shock: :lots of love: :lots of love: we even got him smilling again!

had a great time, and really appreciated the help playtesting the board and the feedback, hopefully we can get a good drop in/out campaign going in the coming months. planning on starting the actual campaign in about 3 weeks time after the bloodbowl season finishes, if you want to have a go your more than welcome to join in, (i have the spare ork team that gazza used if anyone wants to try it before they buy their own team, just pm me!) probably gonna keep it to me + 3 players until everyones had a go and learnt the rules a bit, but after that it will play upto 6. but will probably mean starting at 7.30pm.

so who's planning on playing what to begin with?

Post subject: Re: kill team playtest
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:42 pm 
Noise Maker

Medals: 2
League Champion (1)
KO Cup (1)
It certainly reads well mate and seems very interesting. I'd be interested in giving it a go with your orc team at some point.

BlackPowder - French

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 4:42 pm 
Vocal Minority

Ragnar The Destroyer wrote:
It certainly reads well mate and seems very interesting. I'd be interested in giving it a go with your orc team at some point.

Youd be more than welcome mate!

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 4:43 pm 
Blood Bowl Commissioner

Medals: 1
League Champion (1)
I'm planning on Nids mate, and I cant wait :D

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 6:01 pm 
Blood Bowl Bounties Coordinator

Excellent evenings gaming, cheers to Paulus for organizing the playtest, game certainly has bags of potential, the board was amazing. Iron Warriors have now been pushed up the 'must get painted' list and i'm looking forward to the next instalment. It is indeed nice to enjoy my gaming again, somehow rolling a double 1 and failing a charge is far easier to take than all that serious nonsense in the 'other' game :wink: .

Iron within, iron without!(although Orks are great fun :D ).

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 6:49 pm 
Donor

I had a great time, thanks to Gazza and especially Paulus for setting it up and creating the best gaming board I've played on. Despite my melta gun failing to hit the broadside of a door and a carnifex it was great fun. Looking forward to the next installment!!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 7:06 pm 
Vocal Minority

You did well gazza, I think alltogether if it was a campaign you would have earnt 10vp (4 for you secret mission and 6 for taking the bridge) which would translate to either 50 requisition points(ie a second killa kan), or 20 experience, meaning a load of skill ups. we would have had to roll for casualties if it was, so you might be a man or 2 down but, thats the way it goes.

As for you adam i think the melta guy needs some retraining, :oops: could you squeeze enough points for a jump pack for the white scar? With hit n run tactics that might give you some extra options. Glad everyone enjoyed themselves.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]