Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]
 Post subject: The last argument of kings
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:31 pm 
Noise Maker

Medals: 3
League Champion (3)
My painting is slow at the best of times, but one other reason at the minute, delaying ECW stuff in particular is my long term labour of love - my late 17th Century French army (28mm).
These were bought what must be 3 years ago - I distinctly remember picking them up from the Front Rank guy near Daventry having visited the Vault. They have seen pitiful little effort since then and new year resolution #1 was to get these done for mid-spring and finally see the table.
The force is designed around the Beneath the lilly banners rules, representing a force of the Glorious Revolution or Nine Years War era (approx. 1689-1698), they could equally be used for blackpowder.
As I enjoy other people's army development threads so much I thought I'd splutter some out - plus it might push me through to the finishing line quicker.
No piccies as yet, but I do have some of the inspiration for the project - my 6mm War of Spanish Succession army, which I'll hunt down shortly.

Before then - to understand the scope of this frankly idiotic project, some force background:
The period in question saw France (with some catholic allies) fighting a coalition of predominantly protestant nations - Dutch, Danish and British predominantly. As part of this general mess, William of Orange had deposed James II of England at the behest of parliament, James fled, but joined a jacobite uprising in Ireland only to be defeated at the battle of the Boyne (which had one or two repercussions down the years...), and fled to France again with a sizeable force of loyalist troops who were known as either the wild geese or the Irish Brigade, who fought as part of the French army for the next 70-100 years.
I decided to build the army around this brigade, partly because of the interesting background and partly because most French regiments are grey and I wanted something interesting (red) to go with the grey!
So the force will ultimately consist of the following:

Foote
1st Brigade of Foote (Irish Brigade)
Clare's Regiment
Dillon's Regiment
Mountcashel (Lee's) Regiment (British/Irish regiments of the time took their colonel's name so could change fairly often)

2nd Brigade of Foote (French Brigade)
La Marine
Anjou
Normandie

3rd Brigade of Foote (Mixed nationality)
Dorrington's/Royal foot guard - initially retaining royal guard status then becoming a line regiment under Dorrington
Nice (Italian)
Orleans (French)

Each Battalion/Regiment is 3 stands of 6 men, so all 9 Battalions total 162 foot. (Plus I have models for 2 consolidated grenadier stands) so 174 foot.

Horse - these need organising a little better in my head, but essentially a squadron is 2 stands of 3 horses each, and each regiment is 2-3 squadrons - with 2 regiments normally forming a brigade. I need 3 full sized brigades and possibly a small 4th reserve. Going to be around 84 horse - including 4 squadrons of dragoons, who can dismount as infantry - so that's another 20 foot.

Artillery - the easy bit:
2 medium guns (4 crew each)
2 light guns (2 crew each)

On top of that each brigade needs a brigadier vignette and there will be 1 C-in-C for the army - so approx. 7 command stands.

Right, looking at that I better get back to painting!

Post subject: Re: The last argument of kings
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:41 pm 
Noise Maker

Medals: 2
League Champion (1)
KO Cup (1)
Really interested in this Paul, lots of work looking forward to pics.

BlackPowder - French

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:54 pm 
Noise Maker

League Champion (3)
First up - from a game the other evening the 6mm army that I started about 6 years ago - these work great for blackpowder - which is what we're playing in the pics. Baccus6mm.com for the minis - about £30 for a good sized starter army.
Technical differences between this and the period of the 28mm models (which are only 10-15 years apart) - WSS hats had been folded into tricornes, WSS era had ditched the pike in favour of bayonets. Anyway - first pic of the town (buildings removed to fit in troops) slightly blurred, but gives an idea of how you can re-create really sweeping big battles in 6mm (I hope). If you do fancy a dabble in blackpowder at a very reasonable cost I whole heartedly recommend the 6mm Baccus route.

Closer and less blurred view of my boys Clare's regiment (on which there will be more later) second battalion/base back on lefthand foremost column (yellow and red)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:08 pm 
Noise Maker

League Champion (1)
KO Cup (1)
Loving it. Was thinking 6mm for hail ceaser.

BlackPowder - French

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:09 pm 
Noise Maker

League Champion (3)
Onto the 28s.
For smaller scale figures I attach them to lollipop sticks for painting, normally those fat ones - perfect for 6-15mm. I have even done that for the plastic 28mm ECWs. Means easy all round access to the model when painting and easy for priming etc.
Late 17th Century stuff is all metal, and is a disaster on these sticks, they're too heavy, and front rank models are fairly large stature. Rather than adopt a new and better style I instead bought strips of cheap pine from B&Q, hacked at it with a saw and produced 'mega-lollipop sticks'(patent pending) hence most WIP shots will involve a large plank of wood in them! The downside for photos is the bases strip gets sprayed at priming too and so there is little contrast between stick and model compared to when on a base.
Anyway, below is the production line of the first 3 foot battalions - predictably I'm far too scatter brained to do them by brigade, so I have a mix (Clare's, Dorrington's/Foot guards, Normandie) - these are painted/dipped/varnished - awaiting basing.
With a not terribly well lit closer view of Clare's - two ensigns (minus flags) and a pikeman. - pretty bad choices given the lack of flag and pike but there you go.

The trigger point in my mind was once I had a brigade of foot, and horse, I'd base what I'd got done. The horse have 3 completed and 9 well through the process, so sadly basing is not far off - which can look great, but I hate doing. But hopefully it will be painless...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:15 pm 
Donor

Love this!

Really interesting period of history!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Black Powder: AWI Redcoats
Guildball: Fishermen
Saga: Vikings

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:40 pm 
Noise Maker

League Champion (1)
KO Cup (1)
Really like the models.

BlackPowder - French

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:19 am 
Noise Maker

League Champion (3)
Amongst the nicest models I've bought and individually an ok price for metal but adds up alarmingly for a whole army.
6mm for hail caesar with has appealed a number of times but I have roman/celt 28s and macedonians in 10 already. If I was starting from scratch I'd likely do 6mm though. Gives a great feel of large battle and using 1 60x30 base for a unit works really well with bp and hc. Although we convert inches to cm for bp games.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:49 pm 
Vocal Minority

Paul wrote:
Image[/url]

Stunning looking models Paul. I especially love the guy on the far left... Puts me in mind of Sergeant Wilson checking under his fingernails whilst relaying orders! :D

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 9:11 pm 
Noise Maker

League Champion (3)
Forgotten I'd made a bit of progress on these - projects in parallel, painfully slow, but sates my need for flitting around with no focus...

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 11:39 pm 
Noise Maker

League Champion (1)
KO Cup (1)
They look very nice. Its all good stuff and its very easy to get distracted when painting such big armies.

BlackPowder - French

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]