Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Frostgrave Warband
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:23 pm 
Donor

Medals: 3
League Champion (1)
KO Cup (1)
The Man with No Name (1)
As I'm on holiday at the moment and have a million things I should be doing I'm obviously spending far too long tinkering with a warband for Frostgrave. My initial idea was to use undead pirates as I've about ten of those floating around but it would be too much messing about with which weapons mapped to which characters in the warband, as I'd already chosen necromancer I then went to have a look to see what fantasy figures I had that would be useful (there are enough there!).

First up from the painted pile were these two:

I've got a small amount of painted figures but going for an undead theme the various knights/clerics/halflings/orcs aren't particularly useful, so I ended up only being able to use two of them. The apprentice looks like either an apothecary or an unthreatening wizard and that seemed appropriate, I couldn't see a skeleton/zombie as a thief so a sneaky human would do (plus he wears black!). It's going to be interesting basing them to match the rest of the warband without being able to spray undercoat them... I'll cross that bridge later.

Last edited by TalonBay on Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Frostgrave Warband
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:31 pm 
Donor

League Champion (1)
KO Cup (1)
The Man with No Name (1)
Next was who to use as the star of the show, I've got a Lord of the Rings Saruman figure that looks pretty good alongside the apprentice in a bigger-and-more-evil way but I want to go with a Dagger and Sword combo for my main guy and remembered this beauty that Jack donated to a club raffle a couple of years back:

Needed a little addition to put in the dagger (I'm going for WYSIWYG) but a touch of greenstuff sculpting produced a suitable angular looking dagger.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:17 pm 
Donor

League Champion (1)
KO Cup (1)
The Man with No Name (1)
The knights and men-at-arms didn't need much work, just cleaning off the rubbish paintwork of 30 years ago and adding a few new shields:

Not that I can afford any of those guys in my warband yet but it pays to plan ahead! Those were some old-school skellies that I liked the look of and needed a tidy up rather than any conversion work.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:41 pm 
Donor

League Champion (1)
KO Cup (1)
The Man with No Name (1)
A hound seemed a good investment for 10gp and I found a half skeletal hound in an old dark elf set so he was a natural fit. I'm going with a very "summoner" style so wanted to find some animals too, the Bear won't be undead as it's a local fauna so a wood elf set provided a source:

Worth noting the base for the bear is one of the 40mm ones so he's quite a bit bigger :) Need to decide if he's going to be a polar bear though given the frosty settings, though I suspect not because white is such a pain to get right.

Started to run out of ready made solutions now and I'm still missing a chunk of the early warband requirements. I'm on the lookout for some archers and crossbows and a few unarmoured basic guys (I've seen something on ebay but it won't end for days!).

Last edited by TalonBay on Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:51 pm 
Donor

League Champion (1)
KO Cup (1)
The Man with No Name (1)
Although the bear is almost certainly the animal companion of choice for my style (he's like a lightly armoured knight that can be resummoned!) it's also possible that the leopard could be an option (because they're cool!). I'm not going to summon a toad even for triple damage bonuses..., dude, it's a toad!

Wood elves to the rescue again and I found a big cat, based all wrong though as it's so long and thin so I used part of a figure base that came with a random bag of bits and looked like it would fit the ruined city theme. This let me raise the cat at an angle without looking daft and just needed a bit of butchery with a rear leg to make it all fit:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:54 pm 
Donor

League Champion (1)
KO Cup (1)
The Man with No Name (1)
I was going through my remaining skeletons and found this guy, with a two-handed weapon and mail armour he's a templar (love the idea of an anti-paladin) and it just needed a little cutting to remove the shield bit from his back and make it look like a strap:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:59 pm 
Donor

League Champion (1)
KO Cup (1)
The Man with No Name (1)
Not having any figures armed with just a hand weapon and only one thief I was casting around for options for my starting band and at about the same time read the part about kennels in the rulebook that allows an extra Hound, so I thought why not start with two and buy the kennels later to free up a soldier slot.

Problem being that I don't have another undead hound obviously. I did find this skinny looking two headed beast and adding a bit of greenstuff hopefully gives the impression that you can see through to bone, this is the more artistic of any of the conversions and I'll need to see it with paint on to know if it's actually worked or not but it's promising:

Last edited by TalonBay on Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:07 am 
Donor

League Champion (1)
KO Cup (1)
The Man with No Name (1)
I've been looking around the interwebs and I'm amazed how limited undead armed with crossbows appear to be, I had this really old (and rapidly becoming a favourite) figure in the skeleton box but with clear mail armour on he's a marksman rather than a regular xbow.

He just needed a hand weapon added and I managed to cut away enough of a plastic skeleton to leave behind a curved blade that could be used, because plastic is cheap and (certainly the old stuff) is less detailed the sword was very chunky for this size figure so needed aggressively shaping before the size fits. A bit of greenstuff to make it look like a strap was actually holding the sword in place and he's got that bit of style I'd expect a "marksman" to carry :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:16 am 
Donor

League Champion (1)
KO Cup (1)
The Man with No Name (1)
This is the current work in progress, he's got a great pose but there's no soldier that has a single hand weapon and mail armour so I started looking at what he could convert to.

Knight is easy by adding a shield but I have two of those already so no point.

I could try for another marksman but I can't see me wanting two plus I don't have any xbows.

I could go the whole way to the other end and make him a thug by trying to hide the mail armour (around his neck/shoulders) but I already have something in mind that will get me a couple of obvious thugs and this guys too cool for that.

Hiding the mail armour part gave me an idea though, I don't have any treasure hunters (or even ideas for them) and with the addition of a knife this guy is part way there:

The plan is to paint his tattered rags as leather but I'm hoping that tomorrow will see the mail armour part turned into fur with a bit of greenstuff magic! That should make sense alongside the leather armour and add a bit of diversity.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:31 am 
Noise Maker

League Champion (3)
Great stuff. Mine are slightly more alive but less completed.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:38 am 
Donor

League Champion (1)
KO Cup (1)
The Man with No Name (1)
Warband progress check, there are several guys ready to go:
Wizard
Apprentice
Hound
Thief
Man-at-arms
Treasure Hunter
Knight
Templar

But I'm still short of many, especially when it comes to missile armed guys, these I have plans for:
Thug
Archer
Infantryman
Tracker
Ranger

But if anyone has skeletons with bows and a hand weapon it will save me a bunch of time!

Crossbowman - tricky because they're very limited and hugely expensive once you factor in the postage for single mini's.

Barbarian - should be easy for undead, a scythe armed naked skeleton, I'm amazed I don't have one in all my junk already! Has anyone got one to trade/sell?

Apothecary - not sure about this guy, I could use the apprentice if I had a different apprentice figure (he's probably better as an apo anyway but I don't have another wizard figure I like for the swap currently). Any suggestions, either for an apo or for an apprentice? I quite like the idea of switching them now that I've thought about it so, one for the warmachine/hordes guys, is there a little sister to the figure I've used as my wizard?

Last edited by TalonBay on Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:09 am 
Donor

Medals: 1
League Champion (1)
Looking awesome Buckley.

You do realise that mutant hound counts as 2 slots in the warband ;)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:28 am 
Donor

League Champion (1)
KO Cup (1)
The Man with No Name (1)
Bigshowfan wrote:
You do realise that mutant hound counts as 2 slots in the warband ;)

Yeah, but he comes with double the stats too, right?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:01 pm 
Donor

League Champion (1)
KO Cup (1)
The Man with No Name (1)
I am about to go and do something worthwhile with my time off, but before that I spent some time on the treasure hunter obviously :)

Using a pin to put little tufts into the greenstuff seems to have worked and with a spot of appropriate painting I think the fur look will come off:

That left me a bit of greenstuff left though and there was something nagging me about the marksman from yesterday, the huge pommel on the scimitar looked out of balance with the rest of the trimmed down weapon so that's been modified now to a less comical look:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:04 pm 
Donor

League Champion (1)
KO Cup (1)
The Man with No Name (1)
Paul wrote:
Great stuff. Mine are slightly more alive but less completed.

Have you got a theme for them? Bob had quite an interesting approach using guys with muskets as xbows and it's one of the nice things about frostgrave that it actually works.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 5   [ 67 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next