Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 5   [ 67 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Frostgrave Warband
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:57 pm 
Vocal Minority

TalonBay wrote:
Anyway, it means I have a spare 3x4 frozen surface battle mat if anyone would like one before it heads off to ebay. £15 and of course you're welcome to check it out before parting with any cash.

Hi mate,

If still about - I'll take this.

Cheers,

Tom

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:49 pm 
Vocal Minority

Am I reading this right?

I get a free wizard and 500gc, pay 200gc for an apprentice and then have 300gc left for soldiers?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:39 pm 
Donor

Medals: 3
League Champion (1)
KO Cup (1)
The Man with No Name (1)
TheUrbanSurfer wrote:
TalonBay wrote:
Anyway, it means I have a spare 3x4 frozen surface battle mat if anyone would like one before it heads off to ebay. £15 and of course you're welcome to check it out before parting with any cash.

Hi mate,

Cheers,

Tom

I think it's gone, just waiting to confirm. If not then it's yours.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:43 pm 
Donor

League Champion (1)
KO Cup (1)
The Man with No Name (1)
TheUrbanSurfer wrote:
Am I reading this right?

I get a free wizard and 500gc, pay 200gc for an apprentice and then have 300gc left for soldiers?

That's correct, it's best to aim for the full 8 soldiers too, unless you're leaving a space for an animal companion or a construct. Things like zombies and demons don't stay with your team after the game and don't take up a soldier slot.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:47 pm 
Donor

League Champion (1)
KO Cup (1)
The Man with No Name (1)
With a few games going on, either intro games with Jack and Steve or continuing the story with the kids there's not been much progress on the warband, however there have been some new recruits.

I had a couple of archers arrive:

Plus this guy as an awesome barbarian:

But the highlight is the motley crew that arrived to be my thieves given I wasn't entirely happy with the previous ones:

My daughter's take was that they didn't really suit a Necromantic warband and would look soo much better on her team. Clearly unbiased then :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:20 pm 
Donor

League Champion (1)
KO Cup (1)
The Man with No Name (1)
I did kick off the campaign at the club with my necro warband and there were a few tweaks from the early versions:

Wizard & Apprentice, both with additional daggers
2 hounds
2 thieves
2 bowmen
1 crossbowman
1 treasure hunter

No room for the templar yet as I stacked up on speed, I'd been tinkering with spells and had a dramatic change from the summoner style (though I still like that and will be trying to work that in). Starting spells:

Necro:
Raise Zombie - easy decision, in and out of game spell that gets an extra guy on the board
Bone Dart - another easy call, my best option for some sort of blasting spell
Strike Dead - controversial pick, very risky (at 18 for my wizard!) but I have a plan :)

Aligned:
Decay - because I have to take a chronomancer one and I really struggled to see value in these, I'd probably take fast act now.
Brew Potion - this was going to be Animal Companion but I figure I can recruit a knight if I need to so it's only a good spell very early on, brew potion opens up options though. Early on I can use the summon demon one or I can boost speed. I could even sell them!
Summoner - I had thought of going with Summon Demon but that pretty much means an Imp and I can do better with the Brew Potion, this meant I could take leap to be moving people around quicker and it's easier to cast.

Neutral was tougher because I really, really wanted three of them:
Telekinesis - moving treasure 6" closer is a game changer, it's all so much easier and then harder for your opponents. A must have.
Reveal Secret - do you want a treasure right at the start that you can just take away? Of course you do! Must have.
Write Scroll - this combo's with the Strike Dead spell, if I can write it on a scroll then I can cast it free of the risk of huge damage and it's a powerful spell. If I don't take this then Strike Dead won't be useful until I've invested multiple levels in it.

In the end I dropped Telekinesis and I'm still not sure it was wise, it was awesome for Bob in my campaign opener and would have probably saved a few lives for me as it turned out. But, I liked the idea of going with a slightly different take and I now have a couple of scrolls I've created.

The opening quest into the city saw me scrabbling for treasure between the more experienced warbands of Bob and Paul, massed XBows fronted by treasure hunters on one side and massed templars backed by XBows on the other. It felt like I had to work incredibly hard for a share of the spoils and it hurt to lose my apprentice and two others permanently! I did manage to grab a few trinkets from the frozen rubble though and enough gold to replace the lost members of the band.

As my warband retreat to the safety of their Tower I now need to convert something into a tracker as I'd managed to completely miss that as a troop type but now I have one :)

Last edited by TalonBay on Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:21 pm 
Donor

League Champion (1)
KO Cup (1)
The Man with No Name (1)
TalonBay wrote:
TheUrbanSurfer wrote:
TalonBay wrote:

Hi mate,

Cheers,

Tom

I think it's gone, just waiting to confirm. If not then it's yours.

Sorry Tom, confirmed sold.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:51 pm 
Donor

League Champion (1)
KO Cup (1)
The Man with No Name (1)
I remember a while back thinking "this is great, I've got a few figures around that would be perfect, I can do necro as I've got plenty of undead and it really doesn't take that many figures to play"...hmmm. A couple of shots of my current painting table:

The bulk of the warband:

All the "extras", stuff that can be summoned, treasures, etc...

That's more stuff than I've had on the painting/converting table in a long time and it's not even finished! Add back in my wizard and a large construct that are currently having paint removed and I'm still left with a few requirements to finish the options.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:55 pm 
Donor

League Champion (1)
KO Cup (1)
The Man with No Name (1)
Treasure hunters seem great value, speed and decent fighters so I'm going to need more than the one I already have. While stripping paint off some figures I discovered this guy already had a damaged weapon that I'd glued back on ages ago and it came off with the paint:

A little bit of work with the broken sword and I could have a simple 2nd treasure hunter, tada:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:03 pm 
Donor

League Champion (1)
KO Cup (1)
The Man with No Name (1)
I've got some samurai skeletons and I like their armour for a leather equivalent so these two are next on my chopping board, this first guy is begging for a dagger in his left hand and would be my third (and final) treasure hunter:

Then there's this chap:

He's going to need a bit more TLC I think. That sword will go, it will provide the source for the first guys dagger I suspect. What I really need to add to the warband is a Tracker so a tad more drilling and pinning than I'm used to should allow me to get a bow in place of the sword. Then I need to work in a staff somehow, might just go with it strapped across his back with an arrow quill if I can find one that can be removed from another figure.

Then strip the paint from the wizard & construct and I think I'm done! Apart from the painting obviously, not the fun part :(

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:14 am 
Donor

Blimey. You know you only need 10 figures right

I really like treasure hunters, I have 4 now!

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Black Powder: AWI Redcoats
Guildball: Fishermen
Saga: Vikings

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:50 pm 
Donor

League Champion (1)
KO Cup (1)
The Man with No Name (1)
PG_Jackolas wrote:
Blimey. You know you only need 10 figures right

That's the myth! Turns out you need 10 at the start and then a different 10 when you get enough money to afford all the good ones and then you need stuff for all the bits you can summon and then there are three different constructs and I'm not even going down the road of an ice toad. 10 soon turns into a lot more :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:44 pm 
Donor

League Champion (1)
KO Cup (1)
The Man with No Name (1)
Not the best picture but treasure hunter #3 turned out ok:

The only guy still on the chopping block is the Tracker, he surrendered his sword for the guy above but some careful work with a small saw got him a bow and quiver to replace the sword. He's still gluing and will need some green stuff once that's done so pictures soon hopefully!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:37 am 
Donor

League Champion (1)
KO Cup (1)
The Man with No Name (1)
Got distracted by terrain today, there are a few pieces needed for different scenarios so I thought I'd play around with some ideas.

There's one scenario that needs columns and another that needs statues, so, I give you statues on columns!

They need to be mounted on bases and obviously painted to be a consistent stone colour but hopefully the idea is clear.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:39 am 
Donor

League Champion (1)
KO Cup (1)
The Man with No Name (1)
I'm also playing around with a tower though that's quite involved so could take a while, and the tracker is almost done, just letting the green stuff set and have a chance to see if he needs anything else.

I'm on the lookout for skeleton thieves, simple knife armed skellies to replace the hobbits as they're the one part that doesn't quite fit (though they're great figures!).

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 5   [ 67 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next