Change font size
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:27 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Post count titles?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:59 pm 
Noise Maker

Looks like we all have titles based on our post counts.

When this was brought up back in the Vault's mythic past, I seem to remember the answer was that we didn't want post count titles as they encourage junk posting (to get new titles) and pseudo-heirarchical antagonism (the fallacy being that someone with a low post count has a less weighty opinion than someone with a high count). The latter is even included in our forum rules:
Quote:
Discussing Post Counts
This also includes discussing user level or time being a member. Some people may think that a large post count is a status symbol, or grants them spooky powers. It doesn’t. We try to treat all posters as equal, the ones that just started posting and the ones that have been here since the dawn of time have equal importance.

Strangely, though I recall a debate on the forums, there seems to be no trace of it now, just the poll Jack ran where titles won out by a single point. Has the Ministry of Truth been editing the past? :wink:

Anyway, now that we have post count titles, is there anyway to opt out?

Post subject: Post count titles?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:21 pm 
Motor Mouth

Medals: 1
Dungeonbowl Champion (1)
Altair-the-Vexed wrote:
Looks like we all have titles based on our post counts.

When this was brought up back in the Vault's mythic past, I seem to remember the answer was that we didn't want post count titles as they encourage junk posting (to get new titles) and pseudo-heirarchical antagonism (the fallacy being that someone with a low post count has a less weighty opinion than someone with a high count). The latter is even included in our forum rules:
Quote:
Discussing Post Counts
This also includes discussing user level or time being a member. Some people may think that a large post count is a status symbol, or grants them spooky powers. It doesn’t. We try to treat all posters as equal, the ones that just started posting and the ones that have been here since the dawn of time have equal importance.

indeed I added post ranks about a month ago without telling anyone. I did it as a bit of fun that filled 5 minutes whilst I was at work. I agree that post counts mean very little and are certainly not an indicator of superior rank or higher status. But I see no harm in them, I also disagree that they necessarily generate "junk" posts. People who are going to post junk are going to do it irrespective of any meaningless "rank" that this will get them. If people are posting excessive junk then this could be raised with them directly via the moderation system.

Quote:
Strangely, though I recall a debate on the forums, there seems to be no trace of it now, just the poll Jack ran where titles won out by a single point. Has the Ministry of Truth been editing the past? :wink:

Anyway, now that we have post count titles, is there anyway to opt out?

I have not edited anything regarding ranks, I didn't remember Jack post. The only conversation I remember having on the subject is in the dim and distant past at one of the club meetings.

I guess opting out wouldn't be too difficult to set up however I do feel that it is a little unnecessary as even if you opt out of ranks your post count is still displayed to anyone that wants to see it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Post count titles?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:49 pm 
Donor

Medals: 3
League Champion (1)
KO Cup (1)
The Man with No Name (1)
Can my title be "Blood Bowl League Champion in waiting"?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:52 pm 
Motor Mouth

Medals: 1
Dungeonbowl Champion (1)
TalonBay wrote:
Can my title be "Blood Bowl League Champion in waiting"?

Im not doing requests :P

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:25 am 
Motor Mouth

It is possible that any discussion from ages past may have taken place in one of the few forums that were subject to auto-pruning. I do recall the general feeling among regulars being that ranks were unncessary and/or undesirable but whether this was a forum discussion, or something that happened in-store/pub I don't know.

If opting out is available please can you add my name to the Out list?

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]