It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:52 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 42 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Draft forum rules for discussion
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:41 pm 
Motor Mouth

Medals: 1
Dungeonbowl Champion (1)
I find it bizarre how on one hand people can say "people don't respect the rules" and on the other they want to make moderation/warnings so mild as to effectively be worthless. Do as you will.

Posted from my phone. Please excuse my bad spelling.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:08 pm 
Noise Maker

Medals: 2
League Champion (1)
KO Cup (1)
As I'm the one who activated this I think I should probably have a say.
I don't think the rules are the problem its more the subject matter and the mix of people, I will be reducing massively my posting as its clear not that I am a major person to cause offense not that I have intended to do that so rule changing may be victimising the majority when its ultimately me that's the problem.

I didn't realise originally that you has so many warnings thought it was 3.
The warnings need to be harsh otherwise people won't stop being the way they are.

Personally I would like to see other changes, I agree with Harroguks idea of warnings but I'd go even harsher

warning 1 24 hour ban
warning 2 Banned (reverse in 6 months Moderators call)

I completely realise I would be banned months ago.

Even the suggestion of swearing should be an instant ban. Putting stars is still a swear word.

I would like to see the removal of said topics and forum areas.

Trash talk
it has been proven recently that what is said in trash talk isn't always taken as a joke, it should just be removed to stop further offence occurring, unfortunately not everyone can see the funny side of their own mistakes or silly endeavours.

Any think that is supposed to just be for a laugh,
Same reasons as trash talk

Computer game threads
I don't see the relevance of this topic on a board and wargaming forum, they have the same potential as politics or religion to cause a row or offence. There are computer game forums to discuss these.

Film topics
Same as computer games but with films.

basicly anything that isn't relevant to board or wargaming as I see this site as a place to discuss those subjects not anything else.

To stop these things happening it needs a major over hall and strict definite lines put in.

BlackPowder - French

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:13 pm 
Donor

I think banning computer games/ film threads is too far.

Most forums have an off topic section- ours is just more organised which makes sense

Black Powder: AWI Redcoats
Guildball: Fishermen
Saga: Vikings

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:21 pm 
Noise Maker

Medals: 2
League Champion (1)
KO Cup (1)
Sorry forgot to add

Music as well as films and computer games

BlackPowder - French

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:12 pm 
Ragnar The Destroyer wrote:
I don't think the rules are the problem its more the subject matter and the mix of people, I will be reducing massively my posting as its clear not that I am a major person to cause offense not that I have intended to do that so rule changing may be victimising the majority when its ultimately me that's the problem.

You have a say because you are a member of this forum. I need to emphasise that while some negative things kicked off that led to this discussion, some things in which you were involved, it is not solely down to you that this has happened. The rules have needed an overhaul for a long time - they just became too long winded, complex and thus difficult to enforce.
No one needs to stop posting, we all just need clearer and simpler guidelines as to what is acceptable.

I didn't realise originally that you has so many warnings thought it was 3.
The warnings need to be harsh otherwise people won't stop being the way they are.

Personally I would like to see other changes, I agree with Harroguks idea of warnings but I'd go even harsher

warning 1 24 hour ban
warning 2 Banned (reverse in 6 months Moderators call)

I too agree with Harroguk's proposals. I personally prefer the idea of 2 warnings occurring before an outright ban, it gives people more chance to learn how to get on better in the community, and I'd much rather this than just kicking people out on a second strike.

Even the suggestion of swearing should be an instant ban. Putting stars is still a swear word.

This is dealt with in Rule 1 of my proposed list. I disagree that a swear word warrants an instant ban. Anyone swearing would be suspended for 24 hours under the new proposals, I think this is sufficient.

Trash talk
it has been proven recently that what is said in trash talk isn't always taken as a joke, it should just be removed to stop further offence occurring, unfortunately not everyone can see the funny side of their own mistakes or silly endeavours.

While I don't agree that the problem is people not being able to laugh at themselves, I do think that the existence of Trash Talk at least needs to be seriously reviewed. I understand that it is an important part of the banter and sportsmanship of Bloodbowl, but there are just too many grey areas that are created with regards moderation.
Perhaps the problem lies in how strenuously we stated that Trash Talk needed to stay in Trash Talk. It seems to have spilled out into the rest of the forum on several occasions, and this became difficult to deal with because people weren't necessarily aware of what was acceptable anymore.
Under new proposals, 'Trash Talk stays in Trash Talk' this would be a main rule of the forum, so maybe people will be a lot clearer on how to conduct themselves in the rest of the forum.

Any think that is supposed to just be for a laugh,
Same reasons as trash talk

Computer game threads
I don't see the relevance of this topic on a board and wargaming forum, they have the same potential as politics or religion to cause a row or offence. There are computer game forums to discuss these.

Film topics
Same as computer games but with films.

basicly anything that isn't relevant to board or wargaming as I see this site as a place to discuss those subjects not anything else.

Ok two things:
1. When you say 'wargaming' what are you thinking of? I think of Warhammer, Warmachine, Flames of War and many other tabletop games. To me, that term does not cover the other games that are played at the club: Role playing games, a host of different board games and occasionally card games. I would hope you're not suggesting that these are scrapped as topics of discussion, as they are perfectly valid for a gaming forum such as this. Please clarify what you meant?

2. While I agree that computer games, films, music and 'just for fun' topics are not related to the gaming done at the club, I cannot agree that they need to be removed altogether. Like Jack said, all forums have a general chat section no matter what they are about, and I am certainly not willing to lose that aspect of the forums - heck, it's one of the only places I post anymore, and I've managed to do so without offending anyone's religion or politics.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:13 pm 
Motor Mouth

KO Cup (1)
Helios wrote:
...I do think that the existence of Trash Talk at least needs to be seriously reviewed. I understand that it is an important part of the banter and sportsmanship of Bloodbowl, but there are just too many grey areas that are created with regards moderation.

If this is the case, we may as well just use the forum to arrange games and nothing else. We could even use text messaging to arrange games and let people know the fixtures/round events, so we wouldn't then need to come on the forum at all. :?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:57 pm 
Noise Maker

retracted

Last edited by Altair-the-Vexed on Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:10 pm 
Motor Mouth

<snipped>

Trash talk
<snipped>
To stop these things happening it needs a major over hall and strict definite lines put in.

This is the forum belonging to the Daventry Vaulters club. The club primarily plays board games and tabletop war games. In addition card and role playing games are played.

More than that we are a group of (mainly) like-minded individuals with a number of interests outside of gaming, some of which are shared by one or more other members of the club.

I see no valid reason why we need to strictly manage topics per your suggestion.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:22 pm 
Motor Mouth

KO Cup (1)
Altair-the-Vexed wrote:
Are you suggesting that any moderation of trash talk is enough to render the whole forum useless?

Helios wrote:
...I do think that the existence of Trash Talk at least needs to be seriously reviewed.

Obviously not. I was referring to the bit I quoted that said "the existence of trash talk needs to be seriously reviewed", nothing to do with the moderation of it. Reading what's actually written, rather than what you perceive to be written is a wonderful thing.
Altair-the-Vexed wrote:
Me, I've never even visited a trash talk thread, let alone posted in one - and I find the forum plenty useful.

Good for you my man, glad you're enjoying it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:43 pm 
Noise Maker

retracted

Last edited by Altair-the-Vexed on Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:46 pm 
Motor Mouth

Oh, and I realise this has already been cleared up but for clarity, the original "no advertising" rule harks back to the days when this was a commercially-based forum relating to the business The Games Vault, and we didn't want others taking advantage of the goodwill Steve had generated without at least asking first. Seems reasonable to remove that rule during this review.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:01 pm 
Donor

I'm not getting involved in this after this post.

We have a cool club in Daventry and I'm proud to be part of it.

Your all cool people and I think it would be a real shame for the club to come crashing down because of some Internet rage.

Lets just put the past aside. All be polite and have a laugh playing games

There is enough poo in people's lives/ the world for it all to end up in our nerd club too

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:05 pm 
Donor

Forgot to add- I love you all. Lets not ruin something great

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:37 pm 
Blood Bowl Bounties Coordinator

Wow, are we going to re-label ourselves as Daventry-North Korea-Vaulters?

Seriously, I agree with Jack (hard to imagine I know :lots of love: ). We have a load of different personalities who frequent the forums. Opinionated, Outspoken, Sulky, Bad-tempered, Chilled-out, Obnoxious etc. Yes, people are going to take things out of context but that's what makes a forum, we're all grown-ups and should all be able to speak our minds as well as not over react to certain posts. Bickering about rules and regulations doesn't really create the right impression for our younger members, we just come across as a bunch of petulant children.

Due to the various age groups that come on this forum I agree that any form of swearing should result in a warning or ban, there is just no place for it on here. Personal attacks should also carry the same punishment but that's probably it.

Lets just chill-out and enjoy the forum and all it's wonderful (and often bizarre) threads and get on and play some really cool miniature based games.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:15 pm 
mattwhile wrote:
If this is the case, we may as well just use the forum to arrange games and nothing else. We could even use text messaging to arrange games and let people know the fixtures/round events, so we wouldn't then need to come on the forum at all. :?

But there is more to this forum than trash talk and arranging games. All of it needs to be considered when reviewing how we do things.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 42 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next